Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1860 cent MS coin with Proof Dies? No matter how many times they tell me I'm wrong, I still think it

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a coin that I bought as an MS coin in a PCGS MS65 holder. Granted. However, some days later, intrigued by shelf doubling in the last letters of AMERICA, I set out to discover whether or not this was an attributed die variety. Whichever MS coin I looked at, I was unable to match the diagnostics. Furthermore, I was unable to find even one other MS coin that had such an amazingly penetrating strike, right down to the last denticle. I mean, heck, the darn thing's proof-like. So I looked up the proof diagnostics, and there they were. All of them. I thought, AHA! It must be a proof. Nice score, as an MS65 proof 1860 cent usually rates about twice the value of an MS coin.

If this seems similar to you, I have posted about this coin before, here.

So, I sent the coin to PCGS, had them all take a hard look, and it came back MS. I figured it had to be a mistake, so I called, and had them have another look. After many weeks, I got the same news right along with a little note from David Hall stating simply that they think it is an MS coin, and that it doesn't even look like a proof to him. OK. Whatever.

So, I get the coin back finally in January, and bring it with me to the LB show. Not to fight about it. Just to submit it for True-View. While there, I talk to John Danruther and show him the coin. He says, "oh yes, I remember this coin." Seems that they passed around the coin and everybody had a look. He told me flatly that he thought it was a proof, as it was surely struck with the same dies, but the room concensus was that the coin had to be mint state. Something like 10 to 4. OK then. He told me that in his opinion, it was either a proof coin struck at the very end of the run, or perhaps an MS coin struck with proof dies, and one of the first ones of those at that.

Thing is, according to Rick Snow, no MS 1860's were struck with proof dies, or at least that he had not ever seen any. Others have suggested that the planchet was not specially prepared as with the proof type. I don't know, but to me, it still looks like a proof.

So, I get a true-view, and consequently, the coin shows up on the coinfacts page for 1860 MS cents. Here is a link to the uber-large photo of the coin:

1860 MS65

And a link to one with the same dies certified as proof:

1860 PR65

Edited to add it's picture:

Moreso, here are some cropped side-by-side photos of the key diagnostic areas. Make note of a particular diagonal die chip in the denticles above the second top serif of the M in AMERICA, and diagonal polish marks in the center of the shield.

The MS coin on the left, and the PR coin on the right, but how would you know?

imageimage

imageimage

So, I guess in the end, what I have here is an interesting conversation piece. I'm certainly not too upset. I think that as an MS coin, it's really a nice one, but there will always be the nagging feeling that the coin is really a mis-attributed proof. Of course, as a proof, it's not all that.

But then, neither is the PCGS proof. I mean seriously, have you ever seen such weak feathertips on a proof indian?

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO - Pretty hard to argue those two coins weren't struck from the same pair of dies.
  • Options
    "...He told me that in his opinion, it was either a proof coin struck at the very end of the run, or perhaps an MS coin struck with proof dies, and one of the first ones of those at that...

Then they need to pick one and designate it on the slab! Can't be both. Can't be neither.

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    You could try ATS.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They appear to be from the same dies.

Just to play devil's advocate, are we sure that the one certified as a Proof is a Proof? It seems to have some scattered weaknesses.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rim on your "MS" coin appears much sharper than the "proof." The rim on th eproof shown has a more beveled appearance.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO - Pretty hard to argue those two coins weren't struck from the same pair of dies. >>

• Options

<< <i>They appear to be from the same dies.

Just to play devil's advocate, are we sure that the one certified as a Proof is a Proof? It seems to have some scattered weaknesses.

TD >>

Yeah, right. image But in it's defense, the key diagnostics mentioned in Snow's attribution guide are on both coins, namely mentioned above in the OP.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    These two coins look like the same die to me.

But when I look at the whole coin my first thought is, MS.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    No question they're from the same die.

Can't say for sure if either is a proof.

Ed
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi,

Same dies, your coin appears to be a better strike? Did not strike me as a Pr coin thought hard to say from pics of course.

<<Yeah, right.>>

Now, I could swear I have heard "yeah, right" in the context of a proof/non-Proof discussion..... image Hmmm..

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I would like to hear what Rick has to say about this coin. I believe it is a proof as well! Looks like a satiny one but a proof to me!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof 1860 cents are often shallowly mirrored, as are all other denominations of the year. (The cents probably have the greatest range of mirrors, though.) FWIW, I recently saw a proof 1860 Seated Dollar in an MS holder, so you're not the only one scratching his head.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi,

On your coin, in the larger image, what is on the M that is not on the Proof coin? The triangular thing. Also, very hard to see, but your coin seems to have a business strike quality in terms of the roundness of the letters etc. instead of the flatter Proof look.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they do sure look similar

I see a difference near the letters RI where the two feathers meet
    - the MS coin has a sharp 90 degree angle like a dam
    - the proof coin blends together like a river running up a valley

if these 2 coins where struck from 2 new dies that were just made from the same master, they would look similar no?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered the possibility that proof dies were used to strike business struck coins?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sure is proofy looking. Beautiful.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. this problem came about from the Mint's habit during this period of striking business issues with used/retired Proof dies, an anomoly which has happened as recently as the 1950's and even accidentally in the late 1990's, correct??

2. i would trust David Hall's opinion on the matter more than the OP's or other members.
  • Options
    Somebody once told me, "to be proof, it has to be the total package. It's gotta have the specially prepared planchet. It's gotta have the diagnostics. It's gotta have the strike."

Pretty sure mine's got the strike and the diagnostics, but there's something about the planchet, I think, that separates it from other proof specimens.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, that large image coin is one I would be pleased and proud to own, but my gut reaction just doesn't say "Proof."
    I don's suppose anybody had the foresight to photograph the edge before enslabbing the coin???? That might help.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    My first impression was "MS."

It just has the MS look to it...
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 50 year collector ,my first and last reaction is a very nice MS coin.
  • Options
    2. i would trust David Hall's opinion on the matter more than the OP's or other members.

My money's on JD and Rick Snow.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Can't they designate the coin as a specimen? SP65?
  • Options
    Is Rick around? I think that would solve this once and for all.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Rick around? I think that would solve this once and for all. >>

Bump for Rick, inquiring minds want to know.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a sidetrack, but along the same lines, isn't the Proof 1909vdb Lincoln die diagnostics, found on some business strikes?

Put another way, was the VDB proof die used for business strikes too?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I recently bought a raw 1860 Cent that I considered to be proof. Both PCGS and NGC then called it MS, maybe even more than once, before it finally went into a proof holder. Naturally, I sold it at that point.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1860's don't look like the typical proofs - 1862-1864. The 1860 Proofs usually have rounded rims, medium mirrors and shoddy strike. I have had many examples in MS holders later go into Proof holders. Most were graded early on when they attributed "by the seat of their pants". These didn't "quack like a duck" to them back then.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2. i would trust David Hall's opinion on the matter more than the OP's or other members.

My money's on JD and Rick Snow. >>

Exactly! JD has already seen the coin in hand. I assume that Rick has not yet had the opportunity. By
    all means, give him the chance to take a close look at it. If both Rick Snow and John Dannreuther think
    a given 1860 Indian cent is a Proof, then IT IS a Proof. PCGS would mot likely agree.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    The 1860 Proof in my collection started out as an NGC MS66. I bought the coin because it was flawless and attractive, but the more I looked at it the more it looked like a Proof to me. I sent the coin to PCGS as a crossover and it crossed the first time as a PCGS PR 66. This was several years ago at a Central States Show in Columbus, Ohio.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    Maybe I should try putting it in a double coin holder alongside my other 1860. It's a PR65CAM. That would be fun, although a little impractical when it comes to storage and display.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2. i would trust David Hall's opinion on the matter more than the OP's or other members.

My money's on JD and Rick Snow. >>

Exactly! JD has already seen the coin in hand. I assume that Rick has not yet had the opportunity. By
    all means, give him the chance to take a close look at it. If both Rick Snow and John Dannreuther think
    a given 1860 Indian cent is a Proof, then IT IS a Proof. PCGS would mot likely agree. >>

By the way, Rick has seen the coin. His exact words: "I think it's a proof."
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. I would trust David Hall's opinion on the matter more than the OP's or other members.
    My money's on JD and Rick Snow.

well, the thing is that the only "money" involved with the trinity is thus far put up by PCGS. while it isn't a terribly expensive coin and at the same grade the difference between a Mint State and Proof isn't great, PCGS has stated an opinion(which might change) and valued the coin. unless you are emotionally tied to the coin, since RS and JD are convinced it's a Proof you should sell it to either one of them and then their "money" will be in play.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    If you think that 1860 cent is confusing check out the 1880 Nickel
    Proof or unc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file