Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI graded packs

Wondering what some of the vets can tell me about GAI graded packs in general. Specifically, I was looking at this one is on Ebay, though for the price I can go get a nice 55 Clemente!

1955 Topps Pack

Does GAI have (had) a solid reputation for authenticating packs?

Thanks
1955 Topps is done!
working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    NO!!!
  • Options

<< <i>NO!!! >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>NO!!! >>

>>

Thank u, Sean. Mahalo!
  • Options
    I wasn't going to touch this one, but I didn't want to publicly say anything negative about this particular auction. I only buy from WELL established Ebay card sellers.

But question still stands about GAI packs in general.

Thanks
    1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    I know a lot of the older GAI packs seem to be ok, at least some of the time. Their reputation has gone downhill in recent years.

Isn't that a newer label on the slab?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been collecting vintage unopened packs for many years now & the truth is that the majority of GAI packs are legit despite all the hyperbole. I've opened more than 100 GAI graded packs from the 1970s over the last few years and only a very small l% were resealed or otherwise suspect. Your best bet is to stick with packs slabbed in the first generation holders, which was when Murphy and Paul Wright were doing the grading. Even Steve Hart has publicly stated that Wright knew far more than anyone about unopened product. I am leery of the packs in the newer designed holders, as GAI has had some problems over the last few years and it's no secret that they've had instability at the pack authenticating position. Just make sure you stay away from all those bogus 12-card grocery cellos from the early '70s and '58 cello packs with the wrong seal. Personally, I've never had a GAI pack rejected by PSA for grading. Keep in mind, too, that most of Steve's graded pack inventory also crossed over to PSA, as well. The key is to do your homework, know who you're dealing with, and learn as much as you can about what to look for. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    A few quick observations concerning this pack.

First, this seller is using the time old "used car salesman" tactic to sell this pack. This is NOT a $2000 to $2500 standard full-sized 1955 Topps wax pack. It is however a much less valuable $500 to $600 1 cent "penny pack" containing only one card. The seller is well aware of this and this is precisely why he (intentionally) fails to mention anywhere in his listing that this pack contains only one card yet he takes the time to put on an elaborate production as to how super valuable this pack is. This attempt to "lure in" a uneducated or newbie buyer is exactly what this seller is attempting to do and this is also why he has chosen to use a "buy it now" listing with an absurd asking price--a price that, just by coincidence, is a legitimate asking price had it been a full size pack. If he had any regard whatsoever for you or anyone else he would have clearly pointed out this crucial distinction.

Second, vintage penny packs are never a good buy in my opinion. This is because this pack contains only one card and if you look at the close up picture of the reverse you can clearly see many attributes of the reverse of the card. The owner of this pack, prior to submitting it to Gai, most assuredly used a magnifying device to easily determine what player card was inside this pack. He would also have been able to get a good idea as to it's centering. Had it been a nicely centered star, low pop or high series common the pack might have been opened. Because the owner decided not to open it this tells us that he felt the value of the card inside was less that the pack left intact. Bottom line is you won't have six tries to make a big hit--instead only one try which will most likely produce a $20 to $50 common.

Third, the serial number on this pack begins in 102 which was at and/or near the time all those bad "grocery cellos" and '58 cellos were authenticated by Gai. This was also a time at Gai when there began a "revolving door" of pack authenticators who possessed questionable ability.

Because of the issues outlined I personally would have no interest in this pack. The disrespectful "sucker" technique used by this seller alone would steer my completely away.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>A few quick observations concerning this pack.

First, this seller is using the time old "used car salesman" tactic to sell this pack. This is NOT a $2000 to $2500 standard full-sized 1955 Topps wax pack. It is however a much less valuable $500 to $600 1 cent "penny pack" containing only one card. The seller is well aware of this but he (intentionally) fails to mention this anywhere in his listing though he does take the time to put on a great production as to how super valuable this pack is. This attempt to "lure in" a uneducated or newbie buyer is exactly what this seller is attempting to do and this is precisely why he has chosen to use a "buy it now" listing with an absurd asking price.

Second, vintage penny packs are never a good buy in my opinion. This is because this pack contains only one card and if you look at the close up picture of the reverse you can clearly see many attributes of the reverse of the card. The owner of this card, prior to submitting it to Gai, most assuredly used a magnifying device to easily determine what player card was inside this pack. He would also have been able to get a good idea as to it's centering. Had it been any player of consequence or a high series common with nice centering the pack most likely would have been opened. Because the owner decided not to open it this tells us that he felt the card inside would be worth less than if he kept the pack intact.

Third, the serial number on this pack begins in 102 which was at and/or near the time all those bad "grocery cellos" and '58 full-sized cellos were authenticated by Gai. This was also a time at Gai when there began a "revolving door" of pack authenticators of whom had questionable ability.

Because of the issues outlined I wouldn't go near this pack. The "sucker" technique used by this seller alone would steer my completely away. >>

Darn good information - thanks!!!

BTW - I saw another pack seller from the same town (Spring, TX) who was selling 1969-1971 cellos with 12 (twelve???) cards each. No printing on the cello at all.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    BTW - I saw another pack seller from the same town (Spring, TX) who was selling 1969-1971 cellos with 12 (twelve???) cards each. No printing on the cello at all.

Topps did produce 12-card cello packs in plain cello wrapping in 1969, but not in 1970 or 1971. The only legitimate cellos from 1970 and/or 1971 are the "jumbo" cellos (33 cards) which were packaged in plain cello wrapping but which were housed in a green (1970) or blue (1971 and 1972) outer cardboard box. In 1973, Topps began using the cellow rapping with its logo and trademark on it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    summerof68, thanks for your detailed post. I was wondering if the pack had only 1 card, excluding the # of cards was another red flag. Hadn't thought of the fact that the one card may already be identified though! I'm guessing that the # of truly unopened wax packs from the 1950's are quite few and far between, but I sure would like to own one someday.

I gather from the boards that BBCExchange is about as reputable as it gets, I'll sure keep my eye on his sales.

Thanks again, the education I continue to receive on these boards is invaluable.

Chad
    1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    Chad, all authentic '50s era Topps baseball wax packs are very scarce and expensive. If you like cellos I would instead recommend a nice PSA 8 or 9 1959 Topps baseball cello pack. The cards have a beautiful design and you can pick one up for $500 to $900 in those grades and they show very well. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Actually '51 Redback packs are pretty cheap. It's only 2 cards, but they can be found for under $100.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Actually '51 Redback packs are pretty cheap. It's only 2 cards, but they can be found for under $100. >>

Griffins I thought about mentioning the Redback to him but I've always considered them game cards and not traditional bb cards. If he feels otherwise that would indeed be the way to go.
  • Options
    Here's the 12 card cellos referenced above. I didn't know better at the time but got these at the tail end of their release so they weren't too expensive.
    Has anyone here actually opened one of these? I'll probably do so to see what quality of cards are in there. They were packaged before the site registry made high grade commons prices skyrocket. I'll post when I do.

What Grote15 said is good advice, know who you buy from. Anyone who trusts the opinion of any third party service 100% gets disappointed eventually.

• Options
    Buying from the BBCE is kind of like letting a neighbor look over your house when you're gone (and giving them the key).....and your house is filled with $3 million worth of valuables. Its that kind of trust. The difference between bad wax and good can be very small.

For $2 k, I'd rather buy one of those 57 topps nickel packs you see in auctions. Are those legit? In the 90's, you could buy a 52 topps nickel pack for $2 k....those were a smart buy. A 59 topps cello pack is a good buy for the money.
  • Options
    FYI... I asked for some background on the pack, when was it graded, where did they get it from, and got a response that they would get back to me tomorrow. That was 8 days ago. Don't you think that if you had any interest shown in your $2,000 one card pack, you would be quick to respond! I suppose that they want to sell the pack as long as NO QUESTIONS ARE ASKED. Only un-knowlegeable buyers wanted.

Just strange.

1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    + 1 (as always) for summerof68
  • Options

<< <i>The only legitimate cellos from 1970 and/or 1971 are the "jumbo" cellos (33 cards) which were packaged in plain cello wrapping but which were housed in a green (1970) or blue (1971 and 1972) outer cardboard box. >>

I know Larry Fritsch has a bunch of 70's cello without the box. I'm confident that these are legit and directly from Topps as he's a well established dealer.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The only legitimate cellos from 1970 and/or 1971 are the "jumbo" cellos (33 cards) which were packaged in plain cello wrapping but which were housed in a green (1970) or blue (1971 and 1972) outer cardboard box. >>

I know Larry Fritsch has a bunch of 70's cello without the box. I'm confident that these are legit and directly from Topps as he's a well established dealer. >>

PSA doesn't holder the 1970 thru 1972 cellos with the box, the boxes are too big for the holders.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I've had bad luck with GAI graded packs. 72 football in particular.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    The only legitimate cellos from 1970 and/or 1971 are the "jumbo" cellos (33 cards) which were packaged in plain cello wrapping but which were housed in a green (1970) or blue (1971 and 1972) outer cardboard box. >>

I know Larry Fritsch has a bunch of 70's cello without the box. I'm confident that these are legit and directly from Topps as he's a well established dealer. >>

PSA doesn't holder the 1970 thru 1972 cellos with the box, the boxes are too big for the holders.

John is spot on, as always.

Those 1970 cellos Fritsch is selling were, in fact, housed in cardboard boxes when they were produced by Topps, but PSA (as GAI also did, most of the time) shells them so the packs can fit in the holder.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The VALUE OF THIS PACK COULD BE PRICELESS!!

Is that even possible?

Good for you.