Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBayer response to an invoice for a coin he won...

....it took him four dates, but he finally sent me this message:
"Sorry I haven't sent the payment to you yet. I am waiting on a payment from a client. I was supposed to receive it last week when I purchased this coin but it has been delayed unfortunately. I work for myself and sometimes these things happen in which I have no control over. I will have the payment to you on or before March 15th. Again sorry if I have caused any problems for you as I normally don't have this issue when purchasing items.
Thanks,"

He has 100% positive feedback and about 100 transactions. I think I'll give him the time. Anyone think otherwise?
successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Personally I would have no problem with this, unless the auction description stated otherwise. Prepare for the forum bandwagon to ask for his user name so they can block him.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    2 weeks is WAY too long for him to be asking for. I'd cancel the transaction and put it back up.

-Paul
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He has 100% positive feedback and about 100 transactions >>

All buyers have 100% positive feedback. Doesn't mean he isn't a deadbeat who's played this delay tactic game with other sellers.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    .....life is too short.....give the fellow till the ides of march

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

It's up to you.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds legit to me. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options

<< <i>2 weeks is WAY too long for him to be asking for. I'd cancel the transaction and put it back up.

-Paul >>

I thought about that, but he bid about $100 more than I was expecting for the piece and there are several back up bidders that I could still make a second chance offer to if he fails to make good. I guess I'm just too easy.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I would have no problem with this, unless the auction description stated otherwise. Prepare for the forum bandwagon to ask for his user name so they can block him.

-Paul >>

And, your attitude is one reason I like buying from you! image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

All buyers have 100% positive feedback. Doesn't mean he isn't a deadbeat who's played this delay tactic game with other sellers.

Russ, NCNE >>

Good point. I just checked and found he has a bunch of positive feedback as a seller, too.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had almost the same thrown down on me - twice (by two different buyers) on eBay.

I was gracious in both cases, and both turned into great repeat customer. Stuff happens.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2 weeks is WAY too long for him to be asking for. I'd cancel the transaction and put it back up.

-Paul >>

I thought about that, but he bid about $100 more than I was expecting for the piece and there are several back up bidders that I could still make a second chance offer to if he fails to make good. I guess I'm just too easy. >>

Well, if it's more than you were expecting for the piece, then maybe you should wait. i figured you might have been able to put it back up and sell it for the same price quickly.

-Paul

-Paul
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got 32 days from auction ending to file a non-paying buyer report. don't let him push you past it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Good point. I just checked and found he has a bunch of positive feedback as a seller, too. >>

Personally, with the FB system skewed as it is, I find looking at the FB THEY left for others to be a much better (if not the only one available) method of checking on a bidder/buyer on ebay.
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 2:28PM
    It is nice that the person messaged you.

If you have a lot of items selling one or two sitting won't hurt anything, kinda like money in the bank. So long as they keep good communication.

I personally don't mind so long as the transaction stays within the cancel transaction time frame to get back the final value fee.

Also I've goofed a few times and the buyers/sellers were understanding so I pass the patience of others to me right along to those that ask me for mercy.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I work as an independent contractor and lately have had issues with receiving timely payments from my clients when I did not have these issues just a few months ago. So it's becoming a fairly common problem.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    Can you post his hick so I can block him image Sorry could not help myself image I do not know, I guess crap happens but I have mix feelings. Go with your gut instinct.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    many bandwagons on here. i would give the guy extra time, just dont let it slip your mind, make sure you allow yourself enough time to file an unpaid item dispute, i believe its 45 days ?? ive been bitten in the past by doing this so be careful
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm gonna respond to one of these ebay deals. Buyer did sound nice and sincere so here would be my "nice" answer.

Thanks for the note. fully understand getting into a jam being self employed. Because I'm self employed myself. But I never buy anything unless I have funds. I'm just a collector and when I sell something I like quick easy, smooth deals. This doesn't seem like it is. So, I will need to pass on your request.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    If everyone did what was expected of them the world would be a boring place. I would let it ride and hope that others do not hit you with the same request. Sometimes stuff just happens.

One of these days i am going to block a second ebayer. I forgot who i blocked but i do remember the thread about the guy was over 100 replies. I figured he deserved it. I have no clue if i have been blocked by any sellers but if i try to bid and can not i will switch to one of my 2 back up ebay accounts and create a neg for the seller.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>OK, I'm gonna respond to one of these ebay deals. Buyer did sound nice and sincere so here would be my "nice" answer.

Thanks for the note. fully understand getting into a jam being self employed. Because I'm self employed myself. But I never buy anything unless I have funds. I'm just a collector and when I sell something I like quick easy, smooth deals. This doesn't seem like it is. So, I will need to pass on your request. >>

Very kind and understanding and helpful to a fellow collector. I know it is difficult to believe but sometimes coin sellers and coin buyers treat each other like gentlemen. Not on eBay I guess.
  • Options

<< <i>If everyone did what was expected of them the world would be a boring place. I would let it ride and hope that others do not hit you with the same request. Sometimes stuff just happens.

One of these days i am going to block a second ebayer. I forgot who i blocked but i do remember the thread about the guy was over 100 replies. I figured he deserved it. I have no clue if i have been blocked by any sellers but if i try to bid and can not i will switch to one of my 2 back up ebay accounts and create a neg for the seller.image >>

If that second account is linked to your other account and you use it to bid on an item and circumvent a seller's block list in order to leave him a negative or low DSR's, that is an eBay violation. It's easy for eBay customer service to verify if a buyer has any other linked accounts that are on a seller's block list.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I tell buyers that I don't worry for at least 3 weeks. --Jerry
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>....it took him four dates, but he finally sent me this message:
    "Sorry I haven't sent the payment to you yet. I am waiting on a payment from a client. I was supposed to receive it last week when I purchased this coin but it has been delayed unfortunately. I work for myself and sometimes these things happen in which I have no control over. I will have the payment to you on or before March 15th. Again sorry if I have caused any problems for you as I normally don't have this issue when purchasing items.
    Thanks,"

He has 100% positive feedback and about 100 transactions. I think I'll give him the time. Anyone think otherwise? >>

I think the fact that he did respond, even after 4 days, is a good indication he will make good on his bid...IMO. I think that if he was going to not pay, he would continue to ignore your invoice. I have waited 4-5 days with no response before, and finally the payment comes with no explaination for the tardiness. I had one buyer who messaged me before bidding to ask for extra time to pay if he won the auction. I gave it to him, he won and he paid up when he said he would, and when I had a similar item, he bought it and because of our earlier dealings, actually left me great feedback before he received his coin. I would ride this one out, again just my feeling.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email him back and tell him Brutus will be at his doorstep on the 15th if payment is not received by the 14th.

Ken
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Not everyone pays on time, he at least got in touch with you and I would just wait.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree to waiting but be firm with the date of the 15th.
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file