Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Today I finished my 1st large set== 1983 Topps Baseball

Today was the first large hurdle for my son's 1983 Topps baseball set. I started this set on 8/17/2006 with Mark Wagner #144 in a PSA9 . It was completed with # 663 Tom O'Malley in a PSA 10.

The best part of the collecting has been meeting some very nice guys along the way. We weren't friends then but have become good friends since. To help others in getting their sets to grow has meant alot, at least to me. I'm old school. A shared joy is a double joy.

Buying up sets that have not moved in a good while has helped a ton. Staying focused , at times has been hard , but for guys like me , it was part of the march. Know what you have , know what you need , sure can help. Learning what the hard cards to find in great condition in the set , was a true learning experience.

I want to make a short list of some that have helped. John McDaniel ( #2 in the set) sure as hell made collecting this set fun. Eric Smith ( porkchopper) was a nice guy to meet and trade , and in the end I bought large amounts of cards from him. There were a few guys that sent in cards to get graded for me . Guy Downs ( boopotts ) has done a great job, and never stopped amazing me , with his emails from time to time. OCSC ( when Nate was there ) helped big time with many 10's. Brandon Linstead ( the young super grader ) helped gets many of my POP-1 10's. I'm sure I left out someone , but more importantly , I mostly wanted to say THANKS image for all the help.

Right now my son's set sits at a very high grade of 9.90 with 11 more 10's incoming ( hopefully ). I have the insane goal of maybe finishing this bad boy off in all 10's . So far no one has put together a Topps Baseball set in all 10's . Its getting harder and harder to find them , but with 66 - 10's to go , I know its a remote possibility. Others may succeed at this first , but its a high goal , for me , none the less.

Thanks again for all that have helped.---- Sonny
" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. It certainly feels rewarding when you accomplish a goal. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!
    Good for you.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Awesome set - best Topps issue of the 80's.

That overall grade is insane.

I always liked the Willie McGee from that set.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Congrats Sonny, well done!
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭
    726 out of 792 in PSA 10...wow! well done!
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    sonny,
    congratulations but no phone call in the last three days. is there someone else?image
  • as someone that is "all 80s", i bow to your dedication Sir!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice if we could actually see it.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Sonny,

Congratulations!! That is an unbelieveable accomplishment!! The overall GPA on your set is out of control. Good luck on obtaining the remaining 10s you need.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Sonny. image
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Remarkable Sonny that you have stuck with this task. Keep on going and finish the race strong. Once you complete this are you planning on doing another year in the 80's or do you think you will drop down and do a 70's?

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Sonny!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Congrats Sonny... you've been great to deal with! Going to finish up 1984 next, right?
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    amazing. hope you make all the way to a full set of 10's. good luck Sonny. image
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is truly amazing. I always loved the design -- that and 1984 stand out to me as the best of the 80s...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG SONNY!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Congrats! I just started my 1987 Topps PSA 10 Set. I have a LONG way to go. What will be next for you?

Thanks
    Craig
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Congrats
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, congrats on completing the set and with a huge number in PSA 10...imageimage

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    Superior accomplishment! Sharing the experience with your son........ Priceless! image
  • Congrats!
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Sonny. Keep pushing for that perfect 10 set. It will be difficult, but you can do it! I was looking the other day and I believe there are still ten cards in the set that haven't earned a PSA 10 yet.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Nicely done!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Congrats!!!

It always feels great to finish off a set.

I have a question.... What type of storage system do you use? I'm up to about 700 graded cards now and I'm looking for other storage systems for my cards. Currently I use a 800 count box, carefully cut the top off, then store my graded cards vertically each inside a Graded Card Bag.

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.
    Collecting 1977 Topps Mexican Football
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Your feat is too awesome for printed words, Sonny.

My heartiest congratulations!!

Nick
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Job!! I loved the 1983's back in 83. My heaviest year of buying packs as a kid and prolly had 3-4K of them by the time the 1984's came out.

Congrats on completion and I look forward to seeing if you can actually achieve the 10.0 GPA for the entire set!
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for all the nice postings. It was nice and much more than I was expecting. As far as the 83's go , I've added the additional 11-- 10's , as they finally arrived and then added another 9 to bump up one of the lower ones.

I really wish I could make the set open for view , but as stated in another post, other collectors were buying cards that I needed , that they already had , just so I couldn't get them. I'll take my chances here.

My wife and I have 5 sons , so I've been collecting for each. If you go to the 1984 Topps set , our son Joseph's set sits on top. From there you can view some of the sets that are going on. The 84's are the next set on the same very high path.

To the other big dogs in the set , Dave and Rick , we'll see each other at the top.------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    glad I could help with a part of this great venture. Congrats Sonny.

<< <i>glad I could help with a part of this great venture. Congrats Sonny. >>

Tommy , yes you are right , thank you for the part you played.

If you ever do another case PLEASE keep me in mind. ---- Sonny
  • bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028

<< <i>To the other big dogs in the set , Dave and Rick , we'll see each other at the top.------ Sonny >>

Maybe so, but I think you'll get there before me. I've gone thru about 5 vending boxes and two wax boxes so far. What are the cards that you have found to be next to impossible to find centered? I'm thinking the Luis Leal, George Foster, Bob Bailor, and Lynn Jones seem to be about the toughest.

Congrats on getting to 100%!
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Amazing accomplishment! WTG! imageimage
  • deserving bump!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    Today , I added a good number of cards and also decided to open it up . I have a very large submission waiting for a slightly better price . I'm hoping to push it closer to the very top .

Many thanks to Dave , who unexpectedly decided to sell off his set . ----- Sonny
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Sonny awesome job. You must be very proud.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    1983 Topps Set

Amazing set! I look forward to the scans (put your kid to work). image
  • Congrats on an amazing set. My money is on you to be the first person to ever complete a regular issue Topps set in all PSA 10!