Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greetings From Wolfeboro

Hi All,

For a number of years I have been lurking on the forums under another user name. I've enjoyed reading topics and comments and have commented a few times myself.

I'm not sure if too many people know this or not but back on Jan 28th, the new Stacks-Bowers Numismatics reduced the staff in Wolfeboro by 7 employees and also there was a staff reduction in NY. Unfortunately I was one of the Wolfeboro cuts. My former user name on the boars here was PhotoMan and I was the photographer for Bowers and Merena, ANR, Stacks, and Stacks-Bowers (for a month). Nearly a 20 year span.

Officially, on March 1st, Classic Coin Photography by Douglas Plasencia is open for business. What I am looking forward to the most is being able to spend more time photographing individual coins for clients as opposed to the ram rod system of photography the auction industry demands. I will also be able to travel basically anywhere in the world to photograph collections or inventory.

I do have some friends on the boards here and I look forward to making more friends. It will also be fun to be able to compete with all the great photographers on the boards here.
Feel free to contact me to say hi.

Doug

Comments

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to welcome you, wish you the best of luck, and extend my sympathy on the loss of your job. I wish you all the best!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3rd ! image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    "Reduced the staff" -- you were never that diplomatic in all those years we worked together! I guess being your own boss is bringing out the softer, gentler Doug image

Folks, Doug is literally the best in the business as far as I'm concerned. He busts his hump and takes great pictures every time. I have no doubt that his new firm will be a great success.

So how many hundreds of millions of dollars worth of coins do you think passed through your hands in those 20 years?

Doug -- welcome here and I'll look forward to seeing you (and throwing you some business) soon.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    JK, I'm guessing I probably hold the world record for the number of coins photographed. Shutter count on the camera before I left was nearly 200k and I only had the camera for 3 years.

As far as being the best, not sure I'd go that far. I can hold my own, that's for sure. A lot of great photographers around here. I'm just the only full time one.

It was good to see you in NY on the 27th. It was a long ride home that evening.

Doug
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Welcome. I'm sure your experience and advice will be appreciated to most of us who struggle with a camera.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

Best of luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Doug! Good luck on your venture.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Welcome again.

What you did in 200k takes would probably have taken me 200 million takes... I use the throw enough crap against the wall and maybe something will stick approach to photographing coins image
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image....And do not be afraid to show off some of your "skills" here. We love pictures......Yes alota people here know what they are doing, as far as picturing coins......Am just fair but because of info here..I went from ebay fuzzy picture taker ..image.........TO now people know what they are buying..image
  • Options
    Welcome Doug! Look forward to seeing you around -
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Doug!!
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a penny wise and dollar foolish kinda job cut...

As with the importance of images these days having another great photographer on board would seem more valid then a couple of useless executives image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What you did in 200k takes would probably have taken me 200 million takes... I use the throw enough crap against the wall and maybe something will stick approach to photographing coins image >>

Yeah, I can relate to that.

Welcome Doug!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and welcome!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Doug! I wish you all the best in your new venture! image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Look forward to seeing some of your photos... I don't see a website?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome from a fellow photographer. I have been a large format 4x5 nature photographer for 30 plus years. Running a photography business this day and age is not an easy task, I wish you all the best with your business. Now a days (in this economy) I find that I have more cash flow from my second business which is error coins. I do a lot of coin photography, but only for the coins that I am selling so You won't have any competition from me image

Having you own business (or two) is a lot of work, but being your own boss can't be beat, IMO.

All the best.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Doug.

Looking forward to seeing your pics of JK's Wampum. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Doug,
    Sorry to hear about the job. 20 years shooting for Dave and friends is quite a long time. All the best on the new venture.
  • Options
    Greeting back to you from just up the road in Ossipee.

Good luck on the new company/venture. Can't wait to see some pics up.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Doug. I have always enjoyed your outstanding work.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A thumbnail sampling of the coins I won from Stacks with the help of Doug's images!!!!
    If not for his quality images, most of these coins would be in someone else's hands.
    Welcome aboard, Doug!!! image

• Options
    Welcome Aboard Doug!
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't you simply continue using PhotoMan instead of getting a new account created?

I don't think it's allowed to have an ALT even if everybody knows what it is.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Doug. I always enjoyed your photography in the Bowers catalogs. You were on the cutting edge then.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Are you going to try to make the "go at it" from Wolfeboro? If so, get out this spring and take a few shot of Winnipesaukee, a great New England treasure. I hope you set up a website so that we can peruse your rates and some sample photos. Best of luck in your new venture.
    Paul
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>A thumbnail sampling of the coins I won from Stacks with the help of Doug's images!!!!
    If not for his quality images, most of these coins would be in someone else's hands.

image >>

That's an early Grant Commemorative Half Dollar... is that a pattern coin? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A thumbnail sampling of the coins I won from Stacks with the help of Doug's images!!!!

image >>

That's an early Grant Commemorative Half Dollar... is that a pattern coin? image >>

That's my Grant w/Star....not a pattern coin, but Grant has a nice scarface on that baby!!! image

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file