Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chinese counterfeit half dime on eBay

MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
There is currently a Chinese counterfeit 1850 half dime on eBay which is not listed as a counterfeit, but is deceptively listed as "very old".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110655158069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have contacted the seller, who apologized and said that he would remove it. The item closes in 5 hours, and when I notified him that it was still listed, he replied "I have tried to remove it but it wont let me since there is less than 12 hours left. Any ideas?". I was unaware that an item could not be removed by the seller within 12 hours of closing, but this is a warning to any potential bidders that the 1850 half dime is positively a modern Chinese counterfeit. The current bidding is now above $10.00. The seller (unknown to me) may be legitimate, and his excuse may also be legitimate, but prospective bidders should be aware of the bogus status of this half dime.
They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a moon bid on it and then let the seller know.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sellers can cancel bids, I believe
  • Options

<< <i>sellers can cancel bids, I believe >>

If the auction has less than 12 hours left and there are any bids, the seller can only close the item by selling it to the highest bidder. This is a tactic some low-ball eBay buyers employ in an attempt to get a rip. Sometimes a seller will get cold feet and try to close a listing if the price doesn't meet his expectation (eBay violation) when he goes to cancel all the bids in order to close the item he won't be able to cancel the first bid made if there are less than 12 hours left.
  • Options
    Many of his other listings look bad to me, as well. What say you?
  • Options
    "What say you?"

I'm no expert on the other denominations, Mark, so I would defer to your expertise on that, but the half dime is absolutely bogus. I'm afraid this is just the beginning of a wealth of problems these Chinese counterfeits will bring to the hobby. Education and vigilance are the only defense.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What say you?"

I'm no expert on the other denominations, Mark, so I would defer to your expertise on that, but the half dime is absolutely bogus. I'm afraid this is just the beginning of a wealth of problems these Chinese counterfeits will bring to the hobby. Education and vigilance are the only defense. >>

Just glancing, the 21 merc, 70 2 center look fake as well. The Barber half and Seated Half look fishy as well.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerous fakes. The 1886-O dollar, the 1874-s half, the 1921 Merc., etc. All bad. A few are reasonably deceptive counterfeits. He knows they're bad and doesn't care.

• Options
    So how does one go about reporting these fakes to eBay? I tried their link, only to be taken to a page where I selected some options, presumably describing the nature of the fake or complaint, but when I completed filling in their option boxes there was no further action possible. Kind of a dead end. Did I miss something, or is there another procedure to follow? It may not help the bidders on this auction, but perhaps it could help to prevent the next bogus auction.
  • Options

<< <i>So how does one go about reporting these fakes to eBay? I tried their link, only to be taken to a page where I selected some options, presumably describing the nature of the fake or complaint, but when I completed filling in their option boxes there was no further action possible. Kind of a dead end. Did I miss something, or is there another procedure to follow? It may not help the bidders on this auction, but perhaps it could help to prevent the next bogus auction. >>

Hopefully This link will work
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Many of his other listings look bad to me, as well. What say you? >>

He does have some unique rarities.

1874-S Half
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    The 79-cc dollar is a fake as well.

reported.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1914-s is a bad fake! Reported! Link to fake Barber half: Fake Barber 50c
  • Options
    Check the coins listed in his feedback. A lot of people were happily screwed. I let a few of them know the coins they bought were counterfeit. We'll see what happens next.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1874-S Half >>

Isn't this supposed to have arrows at the date?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1874-S Half >>

Isn't this supposed to have arrows at the date? >>

Yes. Apparently 13 people don't know that.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrHalfDime - Nice catch and thank you for sharing it on the forum.
  • Options

<< <i>Check the coins listed in his feedback. A lot of people were happily screwed. I let a few of them know the coins they bought were counterfeit. We'll see what happens next. >>

The counterfeit threat will grow and grow. Lot's of people will be taken in. When they try to sell their coins, they will scream and complain loudly about coins and coin dealers. Many of the people screaming and complaining will be senior citizens. The government will step in and all coin transactions will be tightly regulated, if permitted at all. And the Chinese will have suceeded in taking away more of our freedoms.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, he got his first neg today. For selling a counterfeit.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    All of his coins look bad to me.

-Paul
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the half dime is counterfeit, but as for Chinese, I don't think so. Their fakes tend to be much higher quality.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that the half dime is counterfeit, but as for Chinese, I don't think so. Their fakes tend to be much higher quality. >>

I agree. Most of those are die-struck from one-to-one transfers. Some of these appear to be hand-cut dies or very poor cast dies with altered dates.

-Paul
  • Options
    "I agree that the half dime is counterfeit, but as for Chinese, I don't think so. Their fakes tend to be much higher quality."

While it is true that many of the Chinese fakes are of higher quality, this particular 1850 half dime precisely matches those currently being sold on eBay, properly described as "Copies" or "Replicas". Occasionally you will see a complete date run of either Seated or Capped Bust half dimes, offered individually on eBay, but all properly described as "Copies", usually from the same seller in China (that should be enough of a red flag in itself!!). For the Liberty Seated copies, they evidently use the same, rather crude reverse for all dates 1837 through 1859, which is quite easily identified. Until they get a bit better at the counterfeits, at least for the half dimes, we can readily identify the bogus coins.
  • Options
    Take a close look at this admitted 1855 Chinese counterfeit half dime, particularly at the reverse, and see the obvious similarities with the 'suspect' 1850 half dime - the subject of this thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Replica-1855-SEATED-LIBERTY-HALF-DIME-ARROWS-DATE-/270711121381?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f07a3e5e5

You will see that they are identical. The important difference is that the latter coin (the 1855) is being sold as a copy, a replica, and not misrepresented as "very old". It is one of countless Chinese counterfeits being offered by the same seller in Bei Jing, China. In my opinion, both are garbage and should never be allowed on eBay. But at least the latter coin is properly identified, both in the eBay description and stamped as such on the coin itself (COPY).
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>sellers can cancel bids, I believe >>

If the auction has less than 12 hours left and there are any bids, the seller can only close the item by selling it to the highest bidder. This is a tactic some low-ball eBay buyers employ in an attempt to get a rip. Sometimes a seller will get cold feet and try to close a listing if the price doesn't meet his expectation (eBay violation) when he goes to cancel all the bids in order to close the item he won't be able to cancel the first bid made if there are less than 12 hours left. >>

Sellers can cancel ALL bids but cannot cancel the "auction" once bids have been placed and there are less than 12 hours left. This means that once all the bids are cancelled, the auction is still "live" and bids can be placed right up to the closing time and if its a .99 start, someone will eventually get it for .99 cents since it's impossible to address all those last second snipes.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

EVERY ONE of those coins is a total fake, except for the cheap corroded Indian Head cents.
  • Options
    Now as we are discussing his coins I find he does a BIN on a GSA CC I have up....hmmmmm

Don't want to do business with him but don't think I have a choice, do I?

Must be reading this thread, this happen to anyone else, yet? Or just a coincidence?

bob

PS: his old ebay ID was: jarrod.pettit does that ring a bell?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So how does one go about reporting these fakes to eBay? I tried their link, only to be taken to a page where I selected some options, presumably describing the nature of the fake or complaint, but when I completed filling in their option boxes there was no further action possible. Kind of a dead end. Did I miss something, or is there another procedure to follow? It may not help the bidders on this auction, but perhaps it could help to prevent the next bogus auction. >>

Always use this shortcut for bad coin auctions

www.ebay.com/ccw
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Now as we are discussing his coins I find he does a BIN on a GSA CC I have up....hmmmmm

Must be reading this thread, this happen to anyone else, yet? Or just a coincidence?

bob

PS: his old ebay ID was: jarrod.pettit does that ring a bell? >>

HEEEYYYYYY!!!! We gotta start checking recent purchases!(must be logged in to eBay)

hopefully this person will get NARU'd Soon!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now as we are discussing his coins I find he does a BIN on a GSA CC I have up....hmmmmm

bob

HEEEYYYYYY!!!! We gotta start checking recent purchases!(must be logged in to eBay)

hopefully this person will get NARU'd Soon! >>

Let's hope, I don't want to send my GSA to him! If he pays I'll sit on it and see what happens. Probably get a neg on
    this one, but bound to get one someday and it's been eleven years on ebay or so
  • Options
    tell him you're sending it registered mail. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    After you get out of the hospital...

dang ticker acting up like that....
  • Options

<< <i>After you get out of the hospital...

dang ticker acting up like that.... >>

Split post there, 'eh? Hate that dang enter button myself!

Got to wait to see if he pays before I do anything. Probably just take the neg and not
    worry about requesting a cancellation from him. More worried that he'd send a rock
    back for a return.
    bobimage
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to send ebay a message on this one as well.

Some of those coins are just slap you in the face haha i don't care coins

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    anyone up for a 1 day auction?

Hint: it's famously old gold.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hint: it's famously old gold. >>

I get the feeling it's his way of thumbing everyone that's calling him out on the fakes.

"see I can list anything nany nany nany"

Ed
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That's one way to get the FBI knocking on your door image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options

<< <i>Sellers can cancel ALL bids but cannot cancel the "auction" once bids have been placed and there are less than 12 hours left. This means that once all the bids are cancelled, the auction is still "live" and bids can be placed right up to the closing time and if its a .99 start, someone will eventually get it for .99 cents since it's impossible to address all those last second snipes. >>

That is incorrect. A seller can't cancel all bids with less than 12 hours left. If a seller chooses to close an auction with less than 12 hours left he can only cancel bids in order to sell the item to the highest bidder, which if he were to cancel all other bids, would be the buyer that placed the first bid on the listing (at what ever amount the starting bid was) and the seller would be able to end the listing. If he cancels bids without ending the listing, the auction will continue but you can't cancel the original bid on the listing with less than 12 hours left. The reason you can't cancel all bids with less than 12 hours left is because if a seller were able to cancel all the bids on a listing (like you can with more than 12 hours left) at any time as you are suggesting, he would essentially be able to determine whether he wanted to allow an item listed at auction to sell or not.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/endlist-now.html
  • Options
    Well, so far he has not paid. I guess that's good for me!

Hmmmmm, I'll just wait and see.

bob

Oh, I did notice this morning that he now is only selling Indian Head Cents. Everything
    else is gone! I also looked at his purchases and he has bought a ton of coins from China.
    Typical thief.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work calling out this scammer!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

1874-S Half >>

Isn't this supposed to have arrows at the date?
    '74 >>

Yes. Apparently 13 people don't know that. >>

The unique 1874-S sold for $152 after 20 bids.
  • Options

bob

How could the seller have possibly linked your forum handle with your eBay id?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Never mind, You have it plastered all over the place but then I knew what to look for based upon the eBay link provided.

Still kinda curious how the seller could have put that together.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I am pleased to report that I have been in touch with Ebay and the seller is no longer a registered user. Ebay also nuked at least some of his recently completed counterfeit listings.
  • Options

<< <i>I am pleased to report that I have been in touch with Ebay and the seller is no longer a registered user. Ebay also nuked at least some of his recently completed counterfeit listings. >>

Thanks Mark, now I don't have to worry that he pays for my GSA that he hit the BIN on.

bobimageimage
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am pleased to report that I have been in touch with Ebay and the seller is no longer a registered user

This surprises me, possibly eBay has changed their policy of not caring as long as they get their commissions
  • Options

<< <i>I am pleased to report that I have been in touch with Ebay and the seller is no longer a registered user

This surprises me, possibly eBay has changed their policy of not caring as long as they get their commissions >>

This one is potentially criminal (fraud to start. passing/selling counterfeits.).
    keyword spamming, category spamming, overcharging shipping to avoid fees, etc. they are slow to or do not pursue. image

(just checking in... I see everyone knows he's been NARU'd already)
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am pleased to report that I have been in touch with Ebay and the seller is no longer a registered user. Ebay also nuked at least some of his recently completed counterfeit listings. >>

Great work, Mark! I know how difficult it can be to get ebay to act against a bad seller!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file