Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

James Longacre's diary

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is an article I wrote about ten years ago transcribing some of Longacre's diary. It's on page 6-9 of the Longacre's Ledger issue in the PDF file. The file is 2.6M so it may take a few seconds to download.

Longacre's Ledger

OK, sorry. it must not have likes the apostrophe in the name. I think it is fixed.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Fixed, thank you! image
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Must be a subscription only link. I can't get it.
  • Options
    Link fixed. Sorry about that!
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting information, thanks for posting it Rick.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really interesting insight. Thanks for posting. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wed. April 17, 1850
    Gave Mr. Cross the dies (1 pair) with the necessary directions
    to be made for Dubosq and Co.

THAT'S my favorite reference in this article. Explains why this "coin" looks like a Longacre coin.

Hard to get closer to the die makers hand than with a splasher. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, I will be spending some time perusing it.

As an aside, it is rare that you see the name Longacre on this forum and it refers to the ACTUAL Longacre.
  • Options
    Thanks all! I though it was too important to be buried in the Fly-In Club archives.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    re: I have no idea why Longacre’s salary was suspended.

If I recall correctly, it was because he had made a medal for the Navy and been paid, when he should have done the work under his government responsibilities. The salary suspension was to reimburse the Navy.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

<< <i>re: I have no idea why Longacre’s salary was suspended.

If I recall correctly, it was because he had made a medal for the Navy and been paid, when he should have done the work under his government responsibilities. The salary suspension was to reimburse the Navy. >>

Longacre was paid $2200 for executing the dies for the gold medal awarded to Commander
    Duncan Ingraham by Congress in 1855. To add insult to injury, Longacre not only had to repay
    the $2200, but the accumulated interest as well.
  • Options
    Thanks! I knew someone with a better memory than I would respond!
  • Options
    Thanksimage
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    Longacre was paid $2200 for executing the dies for the gold medal awarded to Commander
    Duncan Ingraham by Congress in 1855. To add insult to injury, Longacre not only had to repay
    the $2200, but the accumulated interest as well.

Thanks for this important information. I have a question (for Denga or RWB - or anyone else who has the info)

$2,200 was about 1 years wage. It seems like a lot of money for just engraving (Peter F. Cross did one side of the medal as well). Is there something else the money was for? Is the amount correct?
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't QDB, while he still owned Bowers & Merena, going to reprint Longacre's Diary? This was maybe 10+ years ago.

I was on a book-buying spree at the time, and I seem to remember pre-ordering a copy from them but it never arrived.
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    What QDB purchased (for $1804 dollars) was the work book of George Eckfeldt, who was the person in charge of the Medal Dept. at the Philadelphia Mint.

He is the one who restruck the Gobrecht dollars in 1859.

This was never published, and was sold to a So. California bibliophile several years ago.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Karl. Not to hi-jack the thread, but any idea why the Eckfeldt work was never reprinted?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing read! Thank you for sharing.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Top level engravers and artists earned excellent commissions during the 19th century. Beginning in the early 20th century, sculptor commission began to decline. This seemed to follow increases in automation and more competition from lower-skill engravers and sculptors. The fee for an exhibition medal dropped from $5,000 in the 1890s to about $1200 by 1915. Most of the "renaissance" era coin designs cost $800-$1200. Honoraria for later independent designs were modest and today's AIP artists receive $1200 for each side if accepted.

The societal value of the best art seems to have declined and continues that trend. (That is also one of the difficulties faced by the CCAC in trying to improve the artistic level of our coinage.)
  • Options
    The Inghram medal was done by Longacre (Rev) and Peter F. Cross (Obv - ship battle side). Did they each receive $1,100?
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Inghram medal was done by Longacre (Rev) and Peter F. Cross (Obv - ship battle side). Did they each receive $1,100? >>

The arrangement between the two is not known but it can be assumed that Longacre had paid
    Cross for his share of the work. If memory serves correctly only Longacre signed the contract,
    however, and was therefore required to refund the entire amount.

I am not certain if Cross was still employed at the Mint. If he was, then he also had to refund
    whatever had been received. If not, then Longacre was doubly out the money.

• Options
    That makes sense. Cross was the assistant to Longacre.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file