Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Geta Augustus

I've wanted a Augustus Geta for a very long time and one appeared that basically said "Im the One" and with luck I got it and for a very fair price. So this is a big want that I can scratch off my list.

Silver Denarius
O: IMP CAES P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG, Laureate head right
R: PONTIF TR P COS II, Geta on horseback riding left, spearing enemy beneath.
Rome. A.D. 209
2.7gm
BMC p. 359 17. RIC 68 (Rated Rare), RSC 13

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His tragic story alone makes him an interesting emperor.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice sharp detail on that one. Neat toning, too. I like the equestrian reverse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That reverse is a very nice design, I like it.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice example.
    That's a dynamic reverse for a Geta.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments everyone image
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice portrait especially. A fun, albeit a bit bloody, series. Congrats on a fine pickup!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very sharp coin! Wasn't Geta the brother of....Caracalla? And murdered young? I need to look at my history book. I've been so busy with Russian stuff I haven't done anything with Roman in forever. The whole Severan story is pretty sad.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very sharp coin! Wasn't Geta the brother of....Caracalla? And murdered young? I need to look at my history book. I've been so busy with Russian stuff I haven't done anything with Roman in forever. The whole Severan story is pretty sad. >>

You are correct.