Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone saving/replicating the SAMPLESLABS site

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
or when the domain expires, will the website, and the info, go away?

I think there is some good knowledge there and have been wondering, for the last couple of weeks, if anyone might back it up?
I'm not a web-player, so it isn't something i would do, but I know others have their own websites of knowledge.

Not sure how it would work with any potential copyright issues (or not), but just tossing this out there to see if anyone might be replicating the data or just plain ol' backing it up?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just by creating something, it is copyrighted.

that site is a tricky issue to deal with.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>just by creating something, it is copyrighted.

that site is a tricky issue to deal with. >>

Right, I know that. Just not sure if someone can be done as an educational purpose. I do view the site as educational.
    There are plenty on the forum that know more in this space than I do, which is why I posted it, as I think the site, from an educational view of sample slabs, is important.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at first blush, I'd say copying part of textbook for educational purposes might fly....

copying the whole book wouldn't.

I think, however well intentioned, copying the whole site wouldn't fly.

and the individual pictures would be copyrighted, too.

So, it's probably going to take either someone close or near complete redo.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I'll go ahead and pull down a copy of the site + images, but I won't rehost. If someone gets permission to do so in the future I can either put it up or give the materials to someone else to do so. Suggest that perhaps a few other folks, who know how, do the same thing as me.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Someone should contact Airplanenut and see if he can contact the family. Would they have the rights to the site. Maybe it could also be used as a tribute to the creator? He sure knew his sample slabs and was always the first guy I would go to with questions when I was putting together a set of these a few years back.

tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the copyright to that site and everything on it that was original material is now owned by Cameron's widow, and that any permission to republish would have to come from her.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I built the site and have all of the files available. The site is currently registered through mid-July, so I don't consider it a pressing need to worry about just yet (I'm sure Cameron's wife has other things that need to be done first). When the domain can get released, I'm happy to host the site.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to throw a wrinkle into it he did not own the host site or domain did he? i.e. someone was hosting it for him I think. OK answered above.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to throw a wrinkle into it he did not own the host site or domain did he? i.e. someone was hosting it for him I think. OK answered above. >>

The domain is registered in Cameron's name, which makes transfer a bit of a sticky wicket. That's why Jeremy mentioned when the domain is "released".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, I would just hate to see such good information get lost forever. It is a great bit of information put together by a great numismatist. IMHO!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone aproached Mr. Hall about PCGS purchasing it and making it part of PCGS history in Coin Facts?
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    domain name is one thing, Contents and files would be another!
    ED
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone aproached Mr. Hall about PCGS purchasing it and making it part of PCGS history in Coin Facts? >>

THAT, would actually be VERY cool....and would be, to me, along the same veins of Coinfacts style of info.
    However, PCGS has never really seemed to want to document their different holder styles, so not sure how it would work.

• Options
    I would have a bunch of other sample slabs ready to list there.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wingsrule has done more than just about anyone I know to save just about every sample slab there is in existence.

His collection is absolutely amazing in its near completeness.

We will one day have the opportunity to see such collection and it is serving as a heck of a great backup to Cameron's web site.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file