Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy guys grading question.

Ok so I am trying to figure out how to get into grading coins a bit and my main focus is kennedys and ikes. What are some of the key things to look for when grading a kennedy half? I am attaching 2 photos of a 76-S Silver BU kennedy half that I have that has virtually no marks on it and clear fields. The hair lines can't be seen very well in the pictures due to a crappy camera but what would you grade it and why?

Oh and can someone please tell me how to get these pictures to just show up in the post instead of showing as attachments?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Yes?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    didn't mean to post a blank post....... fixed now
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks for the info hows this?

imageimage
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    For proof coins which receive special handling, hairlines means everything and will drop a modern proof from 69 to 68 in a heartbeat.
    Clarity of the fields and deepness of the mirrors should be next. Stark contrast between devices and fields help to define those mirrors.
    Cloudiness in the fields will prevent DCAM and in some cases CAM designations.

For the coin you've posted, that overall milkiness will affect the grade regardless of how clean it is. There are many of these coins available without that appearance.

For circulation strikes, look for clarity of the cheek and fields coupled with sharpness of strike on the obverse. Generally speaking, hair detail will be lost on coins from the 70's thru the mid 90's due to weak strikes. Rim detail can be lost as well.

A mark free shield coupled with clean fields on the reverse is a good thing since the reverse is quite busy with design elements.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ok so what makes the difference between a PR 70 and a PR 69? I mean if I am sitting here looking at a proof kennedy dcam that I seriously cannot find a single mark on and the hair lines are all there and it is just a beautiful coin (granted its a 2010 silver proof) if I sent it to PCGS is it just luck of the draw or eye of the beholder that makes the decision between a PF 69 and a PR 70?
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience in looking at a lot of these larger modern coins I put grading down to three key elements.

#1 Contact marks. At first glance of the coins do you see any hits, reeding marks, or rubs on the devices obverse and reverse?
    If the answer is yes there is a good chance the coin is not worth submitting or even keeping on some dates. These large coins do not take much handling to become marked up so just keep looking.

#2 Strike qualities. If the coin appears mushy or blurred on the high points this indicates lower pressure or a worn die. I have found MS64 is about the top grade it will get and unless it is one of the double die coins will not be worth the cost of grading at this grade.

#3 Luster. If your coins passed the first two items, now the breaker to getting into the higher grades is its luster. Put simply unless is has dazzling luster there is a good chance it will not get higher than MS66.
    I have found that the killer here can be haze as I see on you 1976 all I can say is that many times with coins that come out of mint and proof sets is that acetone is the savior in many cases. It does not affect the coin but does affect the perceptions of the grader of the coin.

Simple put eye appeal does count too.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ok so what makes the difference between a PR 70 and a PR 69? I mean if I am sitting here looking at a proof kennedy dcam that I seriously cannot find a single mark on and the hair lines are all there and it is just a beautiful coin (granted its a 2010 silver proof) if I sent it to PCGS is it just luck of the draw or eye of the beholder that makes the decision between a PF 69 and a PR 70? >>

I hate to say it but I think in the case of 69 or 70 is about the same as the diference in snake eye and boxcars at the crap table. It's a lot in the luck that one coin is preceived to be flawless while the next on isn't.
    And in many cases what made a coin make 69 is hidden after it is slabed so a slabed 70 and 69 can apper the same to the viewer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file