Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

question about eBay buyer protection

A question about ebay buyer protection. What will happen here?

I recently sold two 5 card lots of 1955 Topps commons. $10 each. Here is one of the auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESOX:IT

The buyer wants to return both lots for a refund. Here is our communication (all through ebay):

Buyer: Sunday at 6:20pm: Dear tonyooten, Hi! I would like to return this lot and the other 5 card lot#25077423784! Please let me know! Thanks- clipper-baseball2010

Me: Sunday at 8:20pm: Dear clipper-baseball2010, Well, the auction states no returns. What was not as described? Tony - tonyooten

Buyer: Monday at 9:15am: Dear tonyooten, Thanks Tony! When I return the cards $20 will be fine!

Me: Monday at 9:24am: Dear clipper-baseball2010, You didn't answer my question. What was "not as described" ? - tonyooten

No response from the buyer yet. I'm expecting no response and to receive the cards in a few days. I know it's just $20, but it's the principle. My inclination is to not refund and accept a negative. However, I've read many times that eBay will side with the buyer in almost every case regardless of the circumstances. So if I'm gonna lose my $20 anyway, I may as well just refund despite the disgusted feeling I'll have.

What do you all think will happen, do I stand a chance of not having to refund if the buyer opens a case?
upgrading The Monster, 33 Goudey, e120 hofers, pre-war hof type cards, Barry Larkin, 95 ud cc se gold

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    no chance, you will lose

I, for one, welcome our new Ebay overlords
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Clipper Baseball is a big buyer/seller on Ebay....that is odd. Raw card selling on EBay is a crapshoot at best.

• << <i>no chance, you will lose

I, for one, welcome our new Ebay overlords >>

Ebay... Computers... Aliens...

Well... I just welcome the overlords

• << <i>Clipper Baseball is a big buyer/seller on Ebay....that is odd. Raw card selling on EBay is a crapshoot at best. >>

They do have sparkling feedback.

I'm naive in that I "hope" buyers will operate like I do.....

If I had been the buyer of these low dollar cards, I would have looked back at the auction and thought "well it doesn't claim any level of grade, and it does say no returns" then I'd either keep them or put them back for sale.....

My biggest annoyance is that I asked what was the problem and they just replied "thanks, cards are on the way"
    upgrading The Monster, 33 Goudey, e120 hofers, pre-war hof type cards, Barry Larkin, 95 ud cc se gold

• << <i>Clipper Baseball is a big buyer/seller on Ebay....that is odd. Raw card selling on EBay is a crapshoot at best. >>

In addition to being a big buyer/seller, Clipper Baseball is very impatient. I just received my first 4 negative feedbacks.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    clipper-baseball2010 writes like a 13 year old after 4 Red Bulls. He's a good candidate for BBLs.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    None of your links work.

The item number comes up 0

and the url you provide claims the listing ended more than 90 days ago.

I'd like to see the auction(s)

Steve
    Good for you.
    I found the auctions, not sure what to think here.

The scans are not that great. I think it was a lack of communication.

Sorry this happened to you. Why did he leave negs on the other 2 auctions he he was

only wanting to return the 2 lots?

Steve
    Good for you.
    Think I gotta side with the seller here, not sure what was going through Clips mind.....
    Good for you.
  • Well, it's always difficult when the person won't even communicate with you, that's the #1 key to both parties being happy, communication.

You're right though, Ebay will often side with the buyer as it's smart business for them.

Hope it works out for ya, sometimes ya just have to bite that bullet.
  • Even the sleaziest sellers (not saying OP is sleazy, I'm just saying in general) deserve to be given a reason for a return.

• << <i>Why did he leave negs on the other 2 auctions he he was

only wanting to return the 2 lots?

Steve >>

Probably negged all 4 just because he can and that's the type of guy he is.....

I know my listing wasn't air tight. Personally, when I bid I take all that into consideration.

I've returned one other card that the seller wasn't happy with - even thought I said no returns, but he was polite. I would've eventually done the same here if clipper-baseball2010 had actually been reasonable.

This just rubbed me the wrong way. Fortunately I'm not a big seller, so the negs shouldn't hurt me much.
  • Added to my blocked bidder list. What a d*ck.