Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about die cracks

I have a liberty nickel with a die crack, do die cracks hurt the value, help the value or not really matter to the value or collect ability of the coin. Do die cracks usually happen to dies that have been in service for awhile or can it happen to newer dies. I seem to see a lot of liberty nickels with die cracks, is this due to that time period or something else. Thanks
Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I have a liberty nickel with a die crack, do die cracks hurt the value, help the value or not really matter to the value or collect ability of the coin. Do die cracks usually happen to dies that have been in service for awhile or can it happen to newer dies. I seem to see a lot of liberty nickels with die cracks, is this due to that time period or something else. Thanks >>

It's been my experience that there is no effect on value from die cracks, but I mostly collect more modern, and items from the 60's, with some items from the 50's.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a liberty nickel with a die crack, do die cracks hurt the value, help the value or not really matter to the value or collect ability of the coin. Do die cracks usually happen to dies that have been in service for awhile or can it happen to newer dies. I seem to see a lot of liberty nickels with die cracks, is this due to that time period or something else. Thanks >>

It's been my experience that there is no effect on value from die cracks, but I mostly collect more modern, and items from the 60's, with some items from the 50's. >>

Die cracks can appear at any stage in the life of a die, although older (longer in service) dies can tend to have more of them/more advanced cracks. I suppose it depends on the collector, but some of us old-timers think that die cracks add to the cachet and appeal of coins, particularly pre-modern coins. In the case of Liberty nickels and Shield nickels, they often show cracks at particular stress points, for example around the peripheral design elements. A harder planchet like nickel will crack dies more quickly than, say, gold.

One man's opinions ...
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Die cracks don't affect the variety of what collect at all (shield nickels), but they sure are useful in helping to attribute varieties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file