Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Canadian Coin Series and Price Guides

I am getting more interested, both as a dealer and collector, in Canadian coins, which in general seem to be low-mintage and underrated compared to U.S. coins. My interest is particularly the 1858-1967 silver and gold issues. I have a 5-yr-old Charlton catalog and a Canadian Trends that I ripped out of Coin World back in 06. Both leave much to be desired.

What do you experts use for accurate pricing information? Heritage's archives are good, of course, but a lot of those coins are really high-end stuff, not necessarily just nice collector-grade pieces. And I have been tracking some eBay coins for reference ... What say you? Thanks in advance for all comments. What series do you collect and consider underrated as well? Best Regards, George
VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a current Trends and will pay from 40-60% of Trends depending on the coin. There is also a Canadian 'Grey Sheet' that is published every once in a while. It isn't as comprehensive as the US Grey Sheet.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a current Trends and will pay from 40-60% of Trends depending on the coin. There is also a Canadian 'Grey Sheet' that is published every once in a while. It isn't as comprehensive as the US Grey Sheet. >>

I agree.

Pick up yourself a Canadian Trends paper.

This is the pricing 'bible' for Canadian coins.

Dealers pay anywhere from 30 to 60% of Trends and sell anywhere from 50% to 90% of Trends.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that part of Canadian Coin News or a standalone publication, what? Thanks for the info.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the CCN.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don