Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Didn't PCGS have a rule about not slabbing holed coins?

Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
imageimage
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought they did, but maybe they make exception for keys?
    imageimage

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Code 84 states "Holed and Plugged".

the implication is that the coin must be plugged.

despite that, what it says on the label is NOT what it says in the 'rules'.

so, maybe they DO make exceptions.

Perhaps a question Mr. Willis would care to answer???
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Code 84 - Holed and/OR Plugged
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I for one think that this coin should be certified. It's a key date, often faked, and for the protection of the collector who cannot afford an undamaged example, a trusted coin to buy.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I think it should be certified as well, but I always thought a hole kept it out of a holder, unless it was accompanied by a plug to fill the hole.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if PCGS will not genuine holder a holed coin if it has too many holes or one extremely HUGE hole.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps if the hole precludes authentication the coin will not be holdered.

Also, assuming the hole was drilled from the obverse, one would have to conclude that the coin has a rather fortuitous die rotation.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that's what Genuine holders are for??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Huh, never thought i would see that.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They make concessions for key date coins.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Genuine holder is the same as a body bag, so why not????
  • Options
    Seems like it should be allowed as long as they can determine that it is genuine.
  • Options
    Hard to read, but code 84 is Holed and/OR Plugged... notice the word OR image

Codes 82, 83, 84, 85, 90, 96, 98 and 99 are supplied with the applicable reasons, and Codes 82, 84, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97 and 98 are holdered, with the remaining codes body bagged:

Code Reason Explanation Described Holdered
    82 Filed Rims Rim(s) and/or edge is filed. (more) Yes Yes
    83 Peeling Lamination Potential for sealing damage. (more) Yes No
    84 Holed and/or Plugged Any filled or non-filled hole. (more) Yes Yes
    85 No Decision. (more) Yes No
    90 Not Genuine. (more) Yes No
    91 Questionable Color Any artificial re-toning & dipped copper. (more) No Yes
    92 Cleaning Harsh cleaning or polishing. (more) No Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw Generally large & prominent flaw(s). (more) No Yes
    94 Altered Surfaces Any applied substance (wax, putty, lacquer). (more) No Yes
    95 Scratch(s) Large & prominent scratch(s). (more) No Yes
    97 Environmental Damage Corrosion, excessive toning, verdigris. (more) No Yes
    98 Damage Any metal movement. (more) Yes Yes
    99 PVC Residue Oily polyvinylchloride substance. (more) Yes No
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd surmise that they have rules for the boards and policies for grading.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren’t most rules made so that changes to them can be made?
    I would think that KEY date and exceedingly rare coins have their own rules and they are what MR. Willis and Mr. Hall says what they are.
  • Options

<< <i>Aren’t most rules made so that changes to them can be made?
    I would think that KEY date and exceedingly rare coins have their own rules and they are what MR. Willis and Mr. Hall says what they are. >>

But we do have to remember to buy the hole and not just the hole-der.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Aren’t most rules made so that changes to them can be made?
    I would think that KEY date and exceedingly rare coins have their own rules and they are what MR. Willis and Mr. Hall says what they are. >>

But we do have to remember to buy the hole and not just the hole-der. >>

Bad... image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Some rules warrant granting exceptions, and I'd think when you have a particular key date where authentication is crucial because there are so many counterfeits out there, it's appropriate to make "exceptions" for those coins.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A Genuine holder is the same as a body bag, so why not???? >>

I do not agree that a genuice holder is the same as a body bag in this case. The Genuine holder gives the buyer assurance that the coin is a real 16-D. A body bag flip, where a fake coin could be substituted for the gneuine coin, does not.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would details-grade them along with the Genuine slab. They are graders, not just authenticators.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see this one get HOLEderedimage
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Messydesk has a good eye. Were it not for the reverse die rotation, the oh-so-valuable mint mark would have been drilled right out of existence. Funny twist of fate that.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file