Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found a Spain 25 Pesetas in a junk lot (update: sold!)

Was quite surprised to find a Spanish 25 Peseta in a junk lot, but not just any date, a 1957(61) which appears to be a fairly key date in the series. Looked it up and Krause values are:
VF $2
XF $20
UNC $160

Just wondering what the demand is like on this series and whether my coin (pictured below) is worth much, or if it should go back into the junk lot when I resell it.

Thanks,
Andrew
Still thinking of what to put in my signature...

Comments

• Options
    Metal Nickel
    Mint Mark Year Stars
    1957 / 61 (*61)
    Mintage Circulation 36.000.000

Im thinking kinda one way trip back where it came from.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gotten TONS of them in bulk lots. Yes, including some better dates like that, but not the rarest dates. I've gotten more than plenty of the other Franco denominations, too.

That being said, your piece there looks a bit nicer than the ones I've usually encountered, judging from its luster.

I'd call that a good cherrypick. Put it on eBay and expect it to go back to its homeland, though I can't warrant any guesses as to whether or not you'll get catalog price for it. Just start it out rock-bottom low and let it find its own value- after all, you don't have much in it, right? Sounds like a no-lose proposition, and the upside could be pretty good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the modern Spain is tough in unc but it's mostly not as tough in AU. It depends
    though and this particular coin isn't common above AU. Indeed, the new catalog price
    lists it at $150 in unc and $200 in BU. Xf is $35.

I doubt this coin will sell as an unc since European collectors are picky about wear. It
    just might sell for a pretty decent fraction of the XF price though. I'd guess about $20.

You'd get a lot more interest in a nice Unc.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The irony here is that this coin probably got all its wear in a junk box.

Dealers just tend to toss moderns in these boxes without even looking them up in Krause
    which tends to value them far too low. I've got hundreds of nice Unc modern scarcities that
    came out of junk boxes for mere pennies. Dealers cut mint sets and toss them in. This coin
    never appeared in an official mint set but it might have been in a bank set or numismatic hob-
    by assembled set. Companies like Paramount made innumerable unofficial sets of this nature.
    Mintages could be only in the hundreds and attrition is extemely high.

Hobbyists never paid attention to coins such as this but there are millions of new collectors
    in the world and a few are seeking such coins. Many of them are really tough just as I've been
    saying for many years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    See lots of these in junk boxes but not this nice. A VF sold on ebay recently for 2.25 and a unc for 8 so I'm sure you got a great deal!
  • Options
    I didn't look long but here's a average VF that sold for $70.

link
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The auction shows an EF with mint luster coin ? UK grading is super tough and i think an EF is pretty high.
  • Options
    Well, due to popular opinion, it has ended up on the bay, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    Well, it made $61 on ebay, and back to Spain it goes. I was quite surprised, and delighted of course.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Well done!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, due to popular opinion, it has ended up on the bay, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the feedback. >>

Cool. image

I'm very pleased there's such strenght in moderns.

It's always been hard to get a good handle on just how tough many of these coins really are. Very
    very few of them are common and those that are common tend to be distressingly common but those
    which aren't just aren't seen often so relative scarcity is difficult to judge.

It isn't the least surprising that it's headed home.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'd better start paying more attention to the better ones like this that I find in bulk lots! Truth be told, I've never given them much respect because I see so many, but as previously mentioned, yours was definitely better than the norm. I've found a few almost as nice in the past and mostly ignored them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I love a good cherrypick!! Congrats.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill