Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If an Ebay buyer asked you this question on a circulated coin how would you respond?

"Can you guarantee the coin will grade by PCGS as original and not cleaned or otherwise altered in any way? "

I do not think I would guarantee that of a coin I just cracked out of a PCGS holder unless it was maybe a modern proof.
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    since grading is subjective and is really just an opinion, there is no way you can place a guarantee on this

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I could provide them with the history of the coin (including any professional opinions) for the period the coin had been in my possession, nothing more.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    I would politely tell them that I cannot guarantee what someone else's opinion will be of a coin they had not yet evaluated.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    I would answer, that no matter what I thought of the coin, I couldn't guarantee what PCGS's or any one else's opinion would be.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    the weatherman does not guarantee it will or will not rain tomorrow

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the weatherman does not guarantee it will or will not rain tomorrow >>

and when they do they are often wrong image

• Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    I have once in the past asked a dealer FRIEND to send a raw coin to pcgs before
    I would buy it, BUT I paid for the submission fees before he sent it in. Worst case -the sale
    is delayed by a couple of weeks and I'm out a fee. The coin graded- I bought it and I think
    everyone was happy. I would never ask this from anybody I haven't done a lot of business with
    though
    palmer
  • Options
    Can't guarantee it, but if you want to sell a coin conditionally upon it grading - that is sometimes done.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just say "no" and move on. This is a buyer that sounds like trouble.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how confident you are about the coin. I've made that guarantee on coins before, on Ebay and on the BST. If the new owner chose to send it to PCGS and it didn't grade, I would've taken it back. I think everyone here would agree that even PCGS doesn't get it right sometimes, but because I was so confident about the originality of the coins, not to mention their authenticity, I would've gladly taken 'em back, reimbursing in full.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that not too long ago with an ANACS good-4 1842-0 small date quarter. It's a great date but I couldn't get anyone to bite because of the holder. Dealer after dealer loved the coin, haded the holder. It had perfect orig surfaces and full rims. It was a perfect Good. I started offering a guarantee of their money back + grade fees if it didn't slab Good or better at PCGS. Still didn't work. Dealers just don't want to do any extra work. Sometimes you just have to bring the water to the horse. I finally sent the coin in and got it in a PCGS Good-6 holder. I should have just done it from the start.

But I have no problems guaranteeing the grade of a coin I like. If I'm trying to sell something for good money and won't stand behind the coin, then when kind of seller am I? You either believe in the product or you don't. Of course, there are coins I've offered to other dealers who we both knew would never get in that same holder again. But being in a top tier holder often times is enough to sell anything.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I did that not too long ago with an ANACS good-4 1842-0 small date quarter. It's a great date but I couldn't get anyone to bite because of the holder. Dealer after dealer loved the coin, haded the holder. It had perfect orig surfaces and full rims. It was a perfect Good. I started offering a guarantee of their money back + grade fees if it didn't slab Good or better at PCGS. Still didn't work. Dealers just don't want to do any extra work. Sometimes you just have to bring the water to the horse. I finally sent the coin in and got it in a PCGS Good-6 holder. I should have just done it from the start.

But I have no problems guaranteeing the grade of a coin I like. If I'm trying to sell something for good money and won't stand behind the coin, then when kind of seller am I? You either believe in the product or you don't. Of course, there are coins I've offered to other dealers who we both knew would never get in that same holder again. But being in a top tier holder often times is enough to sell anything.

roadrunner >>

I wish I had a shot at the coin. It is one I need for my growing quarter set.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    The word "guarantee" is one I never use.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My only guarantee is that you will receive what was described."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The only guarantee is if it's already graded in the holder. Other than that you can only give an opinion.

Ed
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

<< <i>"My only guarantee is that you will receive what was described." >>

yup!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't guarantee a coin grading because you just never know. Then again, I had a buyer complain this week about a coin he sent in that didn't grade at PCGS, even though I stated in the listing that it had been cleaned. Oh, boy...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The short answer is no, blocked. This is a buyer that will make you very unhappy, even the most ignorant coin collector knows there can be no guarantee what a TPG will do from one day to the next regarding body bags.
  • Options
    I guess the best response might be I guarantee to give a refund if your are not happy.

I did try to kindly explain why that is not really something anyone should guarantee, he explained an understandable concern in his lack of skill in grading and detecting problems.

I did tell him that is why he should maybe only buy coins already in holders but even so I have a nice collection of "mistakes" in holders from every grading services.

Sad to say but with all the bad apples out there a newer collector really should only by more expensive coins in holders.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a set up for future problems. Just say no.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>"Can you guarantee the coin will grade by PCGS as original and not cleaned or otherwise altered in any way? "

I do not think I would guarantee that of a coin I just cracked out of a PCGS holder unless it was maybe a modern proof. >>

If it were me, I would tell him to buy one already in a PCGS slab. This sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file