Home U.S. Coin Forum

So this guy calls me on the phone and asks me, do you collect coins?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
And I say, who is this? He says a friend of yours gave me your phone # and told me to call you, he says you like nickels. Well, this got my attention! It turns out to be a guy who has a old coin album full of nickels and wants to sell them. I meet this guy at a coffee house and he pulls out this old Wayte Raymond coin album, the hard back edition. Well this got my heart pumping. All he had in there were these Jefferson nickels, I was hoping for Buffs. So I bought em allimage These are some, I have a few more, just to lazy to post. All have great color and luster, some even look as they're full steps. I don't collect these Jefferson nickels and I'm not very good at grading these, but there's a few that look pretty good. Comments are always welcome, I'll probably sell these and buy some more Buffs....]image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Here's a couple of more....I know what you might be thinking...Hey Joe they didn't make Wayte Raymond coin albums for Jefferson nickels, right? Well they were in a Buffalo Nickel album with the dates hand written in..
imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some attractive toning there! I don't do nickels either so won't grade them but
    it looks like they were pretty dang new when they went into the album.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    >>So this guy calls me on the phone and asks me, do you collect coins?>>

this would have been quite unsettling to me but it sounds as if it worked out in the end to your favor......nice coins!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Those are very nice! I would be interested in them
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>So this guy calls me on the phone and asks me, do you collect coins?>>

this would have been quite unsettling to me but it sounds as if it worked out in the end to your favor......nice coins! >>

It was at first, but I know the guy who refereed him to me and that settled me down real quickimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • <<<< >>So this guy calls me on the phone and asks me, do you collect coins?>>

this would have been quite unsettling to me but it sounds as if it worked out in the end to your favor......nice coins! >>

It was at first, but I know the guy who refereed him to me and that settled me down real quick >>

First this guy calls my home and gets my work number and calls me at work and wants to talk coins. He originally got my home phone number from a prominent numismatic columnist. It eventually turned out he was a resident of the Federal Pen at Fort Leavenworth.
    We did correspond for awhile.

<< <i><<<< >>So this guy calls me on the phone and asks me, do you collect coins?>>

It was at first, but I know the guy who refereed him to me and that settled me down real quick >>

First this guy calls my home and gets my work number and calls me at work and wants to talk coins. He originally got my home phone number from a prominent numismatic columnist. It eventually turned out he was a resident of the Federal Pen at Fort Leavenworth.
    We did correspond for awhile. >>

Now that could be a problem!image This was a very nice old gentleman, older than me even!
  • <<Now that could be a problem! This was a very nice old gentleman, older than me even! >>

My guy was in for a long time. He was convicted of melting US silver coins. (He added copper to the mix and claimed they were originally Canadian). They threw the book at him because of his history of vicious murders.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story and war time nickels... image

ABimage
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once got a numismatic-related letter in the mail, had never met or corresponded with the guy, the return address was goofy so I looked it up and it was some place where they incarcerate ex-inmates who are deemed too dangerous to return to society, even though they have served all their prison time. I wrote back a terse response and never heard anything after that.
  • those are attractive, what percentage are uncirculated and how far does the set go? 1964?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I wouldn't even mind having those in our book image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>those are attractive, what percentage are uncirculated and how far does the set go? 1964? >>

Kind of a strange deal. The coin album consisted of 7 war nickels all very nice, and the rest were about 20 1956 Jefferson nickels that has the apperance they came out of the roll and into the coin album, all very lustrous toned Jeffs...
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be a bit nervous as well if I didn't expect the call. To be safe, just mention " I collect guns as well"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'd be a bit nervous as well if I didn't expect the call. To be safe, just mention " I collect guns as well" >>

yes, big caliber guns and no i dont collect coins. have a nice day image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of "friend" would tell a third party that you are a coin collector and then give him your name and phone number without getting your permission first. Unbelievable.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• << <i>What kind of "friend" would tell a third party that you are a coin collector and then give him your name and phone number without getting your permission first. Unbelievable.image >>

I agree 100%. Also, if you're going to cold call someone like that, say "Hi is this crazyhounddog? My name is Joe, I got your name from Bill who said you may be interested in buying my nickels" Pretty simple.

• << <i>What kind of "friend" would tell a third party that you are a coin collector and then give him your name and phone number without getting your permission first. Unbelievable.image >>

Would I be mad!!!
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazyhounddog
    Your going to ruin your image posting those widgetsimage
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    The rim on the obverse of the 43-P doesn't appear to have seen any circulation.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So this guy calls me on the phone and asks me, do you collect coins? >>

Does a bear scat in the woods? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file