Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone care to grade this 1886 S dime?

A few hints, it is UNC and it is CAC stickered
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    64+

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited to say: I could never take a hint, so 62 then.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62

Obverse fields are mostly scuffy and devoid of luster. Some scuffing on the high points. It no doubt saw some circulation or handing. But even coins less than full luster get a mint state pass these days if the rub is not obvious. For a 63 or better grade I'd like to see the obv fields more like the reverse fields. A choice to gem coin should have obvious luster on the rims, which this doesn't appear to have (ie worn off). Could also be a 61. Would have been an AU58 back in 1988.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. 65 or better
    ED
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    This was graded a MS62 in an older NGC holder, CAC stickered the coin.

In my opinion the surfaces are solid MS63 and the original, undipped surfaces are a premium. I never did try and see what PCGS said about the coin but may do just that.

• If it were a silver Roosevelt, I can see 62
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not unc....look at her right leg and knee.

It's a very nice AU58.

JMHO
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely not unc....look at her right leg and knee. >>

Without seeing it in person and moving it around in a light, we can't say "definitely." We'd need to examine the coin in hand for clear luster breaks to be "definite" about it. You may be right from a technical standard depending on the luster breaks with the coin in hand, but this is no "market graded" AU in most cases, and coins like this that get into AU-58 holders tend to get MS money anyway (if not cracked out and resubmitted).

My thought was strong 62 with a shot at 63, assuming no obvious luster breaks when examining the coin personally.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely not unc....look at her right leg and knee.

It's a very nice AU58.

JMHO >>

Definitely not "definitely not unc." and I looked at the areas you noted, along with others.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention the wear on the breast.

All I know is that I would not pay unc money for this coin and if I were selling it to a dealer he/she would not pay unc money for it either.

To me it looks like a typical NGC overgrade.
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    I think you guys are being a little harsh on the coin, it looks like an unc. to me. 62 is a fair grade. BTW the head is struck up fairly well for this date.
    I would say the coin is an UNC for sure, no rub at all. The toning and the poor pictures may throw it off.

I would grade it a 63 if it was raw.

I can say if there was even a slight rub it would not have the grean bean.

Another coin that may be heading for crossover but I know PCGS does not love this type color.

<< <i>All I know is that I would not pay unc money for this coin and if I were selling it to a dealer he/she would not pay unc money for it either. >>

Then don't. Doesn't change the fact that many people are paying into MS money for "super silders". As someone who was working on a type set of them a few years back, I learned this all too well.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the MS 62 crowd.

I feel the coin is MS - and from what I
    see as far as abrasions are concerned,
    it qualifies for a 62 Grade.

If the coin were an AU - its a stunning AU
    and an AU 58 at the very least.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>If the coin were an AU - its a stunning AU
    and an AU 58 at the very least. >>

Yeah, I guess I could amend my grade to simply say that I'd grade it "even if there's a little bit of rub there's no way in hell you get this for AU money."
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I agree with CAC, it looks like a solid 62 that has a good chance to upgrade to 63. I
    am at a loss to explain all the AU grades we are hearing -- when a coin circulates it
    loses luster and picks up circulation marks, and this coin shows neither. Tough crowd.

<< <i>I agree with CAC, it looks like a solid 62 that has a good chance to upgrade to 63. I
    am at a loss to explain all the AU grades we are hearing -- when a coin circulates it
    loses luster and picks up circulation marks, and this coin shows neither. Tough crowd. >>

BTW: Ziggy we miss your posting on the other pond

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no rub on the highpoints. I'd like to call the whitish discoloration there more the result scuffing from the coin jostling around in a box of raw coins for example. It will leave a lot of shinier looking hairlines, etc. But not enough to make a rub or flatness. Did this coin circulate at some time? More than likely. But it takes months to years before light circulation shows up as major luster disturbances or high point rub.

The things keeping this coin from higher grades would be the scuffiness in the obverse fields. The luster has been significantly disturbed there. You can see plenty of luster on either side of her left lower arm, and on either side of "UNITED." You don't see it inbetween, and that's not because of toning.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file