Home U.S. Coin Forum

Racine, WI coin Show Report

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Wow. Can you say traffic jam? This was a new location for our show this year (Racine Numismatic Society). It was non stop from 9 am to about 1:30 pm and still going almost all the way until 3 pm. from the couple of other dealer tables I was able to stop at they seemed to be having a good show. I sold more PCGS slabbed coins at this show than any other show I have attended.

What was hot you ask. Morgans (raw and certified), Mercury Dimes (certified high grade), then certified Buffalo Nickels, and Raw Silver Ikes.

I was only offered coins by a few customers, but only picked up one toner Morgan.

I was so busy I didn't get a chance to go through other dealers stock. There is a first for everything.

Great food, too. We were at Roma Lodge. Their mostaccioli was great along with the Henny Penny Chicken.

One of the large dealers was there. He took one look at my 1939-D and said, "oh, that's from the Denver hoard." I asked him if he had seen any of the others, and he indicated he has seem many of them including the MS69FB coins. I, also, asked if mine was darker than what he has seen and he indicated it fits right in. A lot of people checked that coin out.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Thanks for the report.

69FB dime? Wow. Is the Denver hoard having a negative or positive impact on prices on those dates, or is it too early to tell?
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the report.

69FB dime? Wow. Is the Denver hoard having a negative or positive impact on prices on those dates, or is it too early to tell? >>

The hoard was found in the 1990's, so there is no impact. The images I've seen are all awesome toned coins, which seem to bring a premium.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Mr. Griffith is always telling me I should check that show out. I just may have to!

The interest in silver IKES is an interesting development.

Now that they contain $10 worth of silver, they are being actively traded as bullion. Apmex even has a buy/sell on them now.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The interest in silver IKES is an interesting development.
    Now that they contain $10 worth of silver, they are being actively traded as bullion. Apmex even has a buy/sell on them now. >>

Apmex is sold out of 40%er Ikes. They must be pretty hot.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get the impression that our local show last weekend was anywhere near that energetic. I did snag a doily tho, a real nice 36-D Walker in 65.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I was facing the back wall and didn't get to see much, as I was jammed most of the time.

If you missed this year's show there is always next year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file