Home U.S. Coin Forum

Roll Searching for the 1st time

I am going to roll search for the first time. They are 1/2 dollars other than the silver ones what else should I look for. I am new in the collecting after finding my Grandfathers Blue Coin Books from the 50's & 60's when he started. Any help would be great.
GOOD BST DEALS: cohodk, mikescoins, GritsMan, spinaker2000,
My Ebay Auctions

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1974D DDO comes to mind.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Doubled Dies

1971 - DDO (WE TRUST)
    1971-D - DDO (WE TRUST)
    1971-D - RPM (D/D West)
    1972 - DDO (WE TRUST)
    1972-D DDR (Look at Serifs on Last S in STATES)
    1972-D - No FG (No Designers Initials between Eagles left leg and tail feathers-Viewers Right)
    1973 - DDR (Look at Serifs on Last S in STATES)
    1973-D DDO - (WE TRUST)
    1974-D DDO - (WE TRUST)
    1977-D DDO - (WE TRUST)
    1980-P DDO - (TY on LIBERTY)
    1982-P - No FG (No Designers Initials between Eagles left leg and tail feathers-Viewers Right)
    1984-P DDO - (LIBERTY)
    1984-D RPM - (D/D Northeast)
    1988-D RPM - (D/D Rotated CW)

Good Luck.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • gene1978gene1978 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Are any of the newer one worth keeping?
    GOOD BST DEALS: cohodk, mikescoins, GritsMan, spinaker2000,
    My Ebay Auctions

• << <i>Are any of the newer one worth keeping? >>

Check out the PCGS pop reports for the ones they recognize. They will also recognize any variety that appears in the Cherrypicker's guide volune two. NGC will also recognize the following Kennedy half dollar varieties:

http://www.ngccoin.com/VPSubCategory.aspx?subid=18

<< <i>Are any of the newer one worth keeping? >>

If you mean 2002 through 2011, only if they are in good condition.

What I did, was started a complete Kennedy Collection by picking up a Whitman Folder and keeping the best of each date and mintmark I came across. It adds a little to the boredom of searching so many coins.

Almost forgot, keep your eye out for 1987-P and 1987-D coins since these were only released in US Mint Sets. While not terribly expensive, they are nice to find in circulation.

As for the DDO/DDR coins, each one is worth keeping regardless of whether or not its in the CPG since the CPG is nothing more than the "perceived" popular varieties. There are many more out there that are even more dramatic and even more rare than what's in the CPG. (The 1977-D comes to mind.)
    Yes, its a good starting point but what I've learned with Kennedy Half Dollars is that there are MANY very nice DDO and DDR coins available and waiting for picking. All you gotta do is look.

Be careful though as you might consider graduating into purchasing rolls.

Then you're in trouble. image

Edited to add: As a side note, understand that you'll not get rich searching for Kennedy Varieties, but you will achieve a certain level of satisfaction in your collection knowing that you picked some of these up at face value.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • You want to save all the S mints, too. Some also keep the 2002 and up, because those weren't issued for circulation.

19Lyds - you want to edit "1877-D DDO - (WE TRUST)" in your list. image

<< <i>You want to save all the S mints, too. Some also keep the 2002 and up, because those weren't issued for circulation.

19Lyds - you want to edit "1877-D DDO - (WE TRUST)" in your list. image >>

Why?

If he finds an 1877-D Kennedy, he'll strike it super BIG!

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file