Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can't remember, did US Mint continue to release 1974 quarters, halves and dollars until December 3

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can't believe I can't remember this. I do recall that the US Mint did not issue 1975 dated quarters halves and Ike dollars.

I do NOT remember if they released the 1776-1976 dated quarters, halves and dollars BEFORE or AFTER December 31, 1975?

Also, did the US Mint continue to mint and/or release 1974 dated coinage throughout part of 1975?

I do recall the 1964-1965 dated silver-clad coinage being minted well beyond the dates shown on the coins themselves but no longer recall the 1974-1976 coinage minting dates.

Thanks!
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question.

I seem to recall that the 1776-1976 coins were issued in 1975 and 1976.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, the 1975 proof sets contained 1776-1976 dated coinage, so I would assume that they released these pieces in 1975.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a little hazy for me as well, but I think that the bicentennial coinage emerged during 1975

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They struck 1974-dated quarters, halves and dollars up until the end of June of 1975. These coins were then shipped to the Fed and released from inventory as needed.

Production of the copper-nickel Bicentennial quarters, halves and dollars officially began July 4, 1975, though I doubt if they worked that day. The coins were released over the next few months. The halves were released on July 7, the dollars on August 13 and the quarters on August 18th.

Information courtesy of the Coin World Almanac, a fantastic reference book.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They struck 1974-dated quarters, halves and dollars up until the end of June of 1975. These coins were then shipped to the Fed and released from inventory as needed.

Production of the copper-nickel Bicentennial quarters, halves and dollars officially began July 4, 1975, though I doubt if they worked that day. The coins were released over the next few months. The halves were released on July 7, the dollars on August 13 and the quarters on August 18th.

Information courtesy of the Coin World Almanac, a fantastic reference book.
    >>

Yes.

At least in the Chicago area and probably nationwide the bicentennial quarters were sneaked
    into circulation somewhat early it appears. At least the '74's were still getting into circulation
    as late as '77. This sometimes happens naturally but the '74's were very slow getting into poc-
    ket change and this is probably why this date is one of the more "common" in rolls from the '70's.

The bicentennial quarters were designed by a Chicago area artist, Jack Ahr, who won the national
    contest to have his design on the only circulating denomination. These coins were a huge hit with
    the general public who paid them a lot of attention. Of course they also set aside tens of millions
    as an "investment" and pristine examples are still common even in circulation.

Gem issues are even fairly common especially in the mint sets and more especially in the '76 rat-
    her than the '75. These don't even get scarce until MS-67 or so.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Jack Ahr's website if anyone is interested;

link
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I remember one of the armored trucks had the misfortune of having an accident which resulted in a cascade of new 1776-1976 coins being spewed out on the highway. There was a whole lot of people picking up a whole lot of coins. I was a kid at the time and it pretty much sounded to me like that chocolate waterfall candyland scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    I remember July 1975. There was an amended announcement that the 1976 halves would be the first to be released. It was another coin at first. I knew the bank branch manger and asked for a few new halves. He said "no way". He was loaded with halves. The only way he would get me some was if I took a whole bag. I scurried around and collected hundreds of dollars from friends who would take the halves. The bank president called and took a dim view of the whole thing. He said the one bag they got was the bag he ordered and mine would be in later. I had to return all the money. It was the eve of vacation and I went to the bank to get 1 or 2 halves. Now they were going to wait until Monday to open the bag. But somebody took mercy on me and got me a new half.

Shortly afterward the Feds swept in and closed the bank and arrested the president thereof for loaning all the cash to organized crime for dubious assets..
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a bag of the halves through my bank in Sidney, OH and took them home. David Alexander (now senior cataloguer for Stack's) and I dumped them out on my kitchen table and went through them. Found two partial collar strikes that I sold to Fred Weinberg. Can't remember if he gave me $40 for the pair or $40 each.
    I mremember that when we were done, our hands were black from the oil on the coins.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file