Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Second, Third and Forth opinions welcome...

I need a few extra sets of eyes to take a look at these items and tell me what you think of them. I have a chance to purchase a nice collection from someone, but I have to make some sacrifices to do so. (Travel)
What do you guys think of these few items?

Interested in any Favre stuff you have to offer. image

Comments

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! If I had the extra cash, I would buy it!
  • Options
    I personally can say the Manning is good, Elway looks rushed at best, palmer looks good - had a framed auto litho of him

There is something a bit offsetting on some of the dimaggios do you mind saying what area you would be getting these at?
    I just hate that signature because there is someone in town has some good fakes... and I've ended up with one...

I know locally near me there is a guy selling a collection of about 80 framed photos including dimaggio mantle mays clemente koufax for about $1000 for everything which worked out to like $18/e or something
  • Options
    I'm going to be paying quite a bit more than 1k. image This guy is on the east coast. I'm not sure where you're located?
  • Options
    I'm west, in arizona it is pretty terrible if it doesnt have field of dreams, psadna or jsa on it... its probably fake... memorabilia out here sucks
  • Options
    My opinions, and my opinions only:

#1 Williams/Mantle photo - Williams is highly suspect, Mantle is probably ok, but I've seen better

#2 DiMaggio/Mantle photo - DiMaggio good, Mantle is probably ok, but again, I've seen better

#3 Mantle/Mays photo - Mantle looks somewhat suspicious, not really experienced enough with Mays, but I'd err on the side of caution

#4 Williams card - looks good to me, but I don't really have a lot of confidence in myself to know his signature that well - I'm better at identifying fakes than real signatures of his

#5 multi-signed ball - definitely bad - the "ill" and the "s" in Williams are a hot mess, and there's no overlap between the Williams and Mantle signatures - a dead giveaway that at least one of them was likely forged - I don't like the i or the k in Mickey or the M in Mantle, otherwise it looks perfectly fine image

#6 all four of those photos are questionable in my mind, but they could all be ok, I have to recuse myself entire on all 4 of them

#7 Mantle litho 8x10 photo print - I don't like "icke" in Mickey, but it's close enough to the real thing that it might pass third-party authentication - proceed with caution, but it could be fine

#8 DiMaggio photo - I don't like it

#9 Mantle photo - looks fine

skipping down the Mantle/Snider ball because I don't really have an opinion on the guys in between
    #14 Mantle/Snider/¿Mays? ball - looks beautiful, grab it if the price is right, and send it to PSA/DNA for grading

#15 Mantle/Mays/Snider litho - Mantle looks good, Mays looks ok but I'm not all that familiar with it, and Snider looks too scrunched top to bottom, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fake, so I don't really know
  • Options

<< <i>My opinions, and my opinions only:

#1 Williams/Mantle photo - Williams is highly suspect, Mantle is probably ok, but I've seen better

#2 DiMaggio/Mantle photo - DiMaggio good, Mantle is probably ok, but again, I've seen better

#3 Mantle/Mays photo - Mantle looks somewhat suspicious, not really experienced enough with Mays, but I'd err on the side of caution

#4 Williams card - looks good to me, but I don't really have a lot of confidence in myself to know his signature that well - I'm better at identifying fakes than real signatures of his

#5 multi-signed ball - definitely bad - the "ill" and the "s" in Williams are a hot mess, and there's no overlap between the Williams and Mantle signatures - a dead giveaway that at least one of them was likely forged - I don't like the i or the k in Mickey or the M in Mantle, otherwise it looks perfectly fine image

#6 all four of those photos are questionable in my mind, but they could all be ok, I have to recuse myself entire on all 4 of them

#7 Mantle litho 8x10 photo print - I don't like "icke" in Mickey, but it's close enough to the real thing that it might pass third-party authentication - proceed with caution, but it could be fine

#8 DiMaggio photo - I don't like it

#9 Mantle photo - looks fine

skipping down the Mantle/Snider ball because I don't really have an opinion on the guys in between
    #14 Mantle/Snider/¿Mays? ball - looks beautiful, grab it if the price is right, and send it to PSA/DNA for grading

#15 Mantle/Mays/Snider litho - Mantle looks good, Mays looks ok but I'm not all that familiar with it, and Snider looks too scrunched top to bottom, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fake, so I don't really know >>

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Another thing I have seen in the past is that some of these photos may have copyright dates on the back. Be careful I HAVE seen photos with copyrights AFTER the date of death. Not that common, but out there none the less. I'd 2nd the notion that without rock solid coa's that I wouldn't touch them. They're far too often faked and would be very hard to move if you decide to go that route if they don't have the proper documentation.
  • Options

<< <i>Another thing I have seen in the past is that some of these photos may have copyright dates on the back. Be careful I HAVE seen photos with copyrights AFTER the date of death. Not that common, but out there none the less. I'd 2nd the notion that without rock solid coa's that I wouldn't touch them. They're far too often faked and would be very hard to move if you decide to go that route if they don't have the proper documentation. >>

Good point, sounds like a logical thing to check but could easily be overlooked. I'll be sure to verify.

In reference to the Williams, Mantle auto picture, it is from a original 500 hr ball. I found one almost identical to it that sold recently on ebay.

500 HR Ball
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Run far away on the Mantles. Buddy of mine who is very reliable on Mantle took 2 seconds to tell me they are no good.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Di Maggio's are probably fake too.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I've been sitting here going over the whole list of items pricing them out etc.. and I've decided that I'm going to pass on this one. I really appreciate everyone's input as it was a major part of the decision making!
  • Options
    Pass on EVERYTHING
  • Options

<< <i>I personally can say the Manning is good, Elway looks rushed at best, palmer looks good - had a framed auto litho of him

There is something a bit offsetting on some of the dimaggios do you mind saying what area you would be getting these at?
    I just hate that signature because there is someone in town has some good fakes... and I've ended up with one...

I know locally near me there is a guy selling a collection of about 80 framed photos including dimaggio mantle mays clemente koufax for about $1000 for everything which worked out to like $18/e or something >>

Do you ever know what you're talking about?
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    All the Williams, Mantle and Dimaggios look like Greg Marino's work. Very likely the Ford ball too.The 500 HR ball is definitely no-go...you'll never find a real ball where those two guys would share the sweet spot.

I don't know football well enough to pass judgement on those.

The Ali would be questionable at best.

The Palmer doesn't quite look like the one I got IP at Pebble Beach in the 1990s.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I personally can say the Manning is good, Elway looks rushed at best, palmer looks good - had a framed auto litho of him

I know locally near me there is a guy selling a collection of about 80 framed photos including dimaggio mantle mays clemente koufax for about $1000 for everything which worked out to like $18/e or something >>

Do you ever know what you're talking about? >>

I'm sorry the autos in front of me don't pass your inspection. I have over 20 manning autos, two elway and a palmer... And like I said I didn't like the dimaggios

Your problem is?
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Alot of those pics look like the ones that keep popping up at Dania's card
    show in FT. Lauderdale,seems likes the seller has an endless supply,99% are GAI.
    They just had a show here in Daytona Bch.,and those exact same pics. were sellinf for
    $40-80 bucks,lol.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a PSA/DNA sample - I stink at sigs!

I know those sigs were a specialty of Marino.
    Mike
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like it's not safe to buy Mantle autos. If you wanted a Mantle auto, and you didnt get him in person, you're out of luck.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a PSA/DNA sample - I stink at sigs!

I know those sigs were a specialty of Marino. >>

Typical Mays signing over Mantle's sig. sigh