Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Beware of this one. Another way to rob you.

Hi - Just wanted to make everyone aware of this. I just caught 2 idiots trying to break into my house last night to steal my cards.

It all started a couple of months ago I received a couple of strange phone calls.

The first call was July 2010 when I lived in NJ. The caller ID showed it was a UPS store in Phillipsburg which local to where I lived at the time. A person (female) was posing as a UPS working. The person asked me about my information if it was accurate because UPS had a package for me and asked if I would be home to receive it. I never gave any of my info out. Keep in mind I grew up in NYC in the 70s so I am pretty good with catching onto scams and such. Well the said package never arrived. I wait the next day no package. I then called the number back just out of curiosity. The person who answered explained to me that nobody could have called me from that number. At this point a red flag was waved about calls from UPS if I ever received any future ones. August 2010 I moved to NC. Then Nov 2010 around thanksgiving time. I get another call. Same deal. I suspect the same woman. Asked if I would be home. I said yes I would be home. Package never came. I then call the new # from the ID which said it was a local UPS store local to me. I talked to the owner of the store assured me that nobody from that store called me. January 2011 (last month) I received another suspicious phone call. Same exact call as previous. Caller stated they had a UPS package for me and asked if I would be home to accept it. I was kind of caught off guard at the time. Was changing my baby's nasty diaper.I said yes I will be home. Package never came. Now I knew the next time I got this call I would say "no I won't be home".

Yesterday I received 4th suspicious call. Same thing. UPS wanted to deliver a package and asked if I would be home. This time I said no I won't be home. I did have plans yesterday. I had plans to meet up with a friend to go look at a BMW 733i. My plans to go look at the car fell through prior to the call. Well not even 2 hours later these 2 idiots didn't think I was home. They came up to my back window. Threw a brick through my back window and broke into my house. Well little did they know I was home. Morons climbed through my window and found a 12 gauge Mossberg staring at their faces. Police came instantly and took them away. Cops asked them why they broke into my house. The thieves admitted they came in to rob me of my graded card collection because they saw it online. There is an investigation currently to see how many more are involved. No doubt I believe the UPS calls are related to this. They were 2 kids in their early 20s. Neither of them were armed so I am kind of lucky I didn't shoot them. So are they!

Just giving everyone here the heads up on this new one. I am pissed. I had to go to Lowe's and order a new window. Right now the window has plastic with shipping tape to cover it. I am thankful I was home and did stop the robbery...

Sorry the post might be confusing I am still kind of shaken up by this...

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    12 gauge Mossberg

awesome
  • Options
    Wow, that is scary. Glad you and your cards are safe.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    The Mossberg 500 is one of my favorite shotguns!!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Bill of rights.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you think they found you and what not? Was that store number near to your house or anything?
    amazing story
  • Options
    I would have pulled the trigger the instant they crawled in to the house. No question.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it. Two bogus phone calls from "UPS", and you still thought the third call was real?

Maybe it's just me, but I've never received a call from UPS/FedEx/USPS in my life.
  • Options
    Wow, that's a tough situation to be in. They sure dont sound like career criminals, more like teens with nothing better to do. I say that because of the many ways to break in a house, they chose the noisiest way possible. I'm glad it worked out for both parties involved.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Bushmaster AR-15 myself! Did you kick either of them to sleep before the cops came?
  • Options
    I'm looking into a safe and plan to get a PO box (one that has an address) for all purchases and shipments. Any thief can make a purchase from you on Ebay to find out your address. They can also see exactly what inventory you have listed at any given time in addition to personal collections. Glad everything worked out for you. (The Mossberg options sounds like a good investment as well.)
  • Options
    Quite a story!
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Sorry my original post sounds so frazzled. I edited it to make it more sensible and accurate.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Should have blown their hand off or something but hopefully they get raped in prison!
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Glad everything worked out.

I blew snot bobbles when you said "Morons climbed through my window and found a 12 guage Mossberg staring at their faces." That is classic. Did you notice if they had any brown stains on their backside?

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I would have pulled the trigger the instant they crawled in to the house. No question. >>

That'd be one heck of a mess to clean up! image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    STAY AWAY FROM MY JETER COLLECTION!!

That was one hell of a post, twiley, I'm glad everything worked out. Have you gone through your head trying to figure out if they got your address through ebay, or some other method of card transactions? Like B/S/T card forums or auction houses? Even though I've taken many home security precautions to protect my collection, I still worry about something like this happening. Freaks me out. Pretty much anyone can figure out your home address if they simply have your name and what state you live in. I'm very happy to hear they were arrested, and I hope you can keep us updated on their sentencing. Sounds like they've been after you for a while. I hope we can do some investigating (CU-Style) so we can figure out where these guys originated, and maybe learn something from this experience. My heart is still pounding from reading that...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear you had to go thru all that BS, but glad to hear that you were there to catch them and I am sure you scared the living SH*T out of them when the gun was in their face!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Three words: "Collectibles Insurance Services".

Cleaner solution.

Capecards
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    It's been said before, but I would have shot them.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I have no idea how they found me. I am sure it wasn't to hard because I have all the slab cards scanned and shown on the registry. I also have an ebay store.

What gets me is it isn't worth a whole lot compared to many many other collections out there. I don't even have 10K worth of graded inventory?!!?!?

the most expensive single card I own graded isn't worth over 500 bucks.

• Options
    keep yur friends close.. keep yur enemies closer, heh ex wife ?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i would bet it's someone you've had a transaction with from both your addresses, somebody who lives close, would be interested to hear what the cops get from them, i would suspect someone offered a bounty for your set and these are just the monkeys.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea how they found me. I am sure it wasn't to hard because I have all the slab cards scanned and shown on the registry. I also have an ebay store.

What gets me is it isn't worth a whole lot compared to many many other collections out there. I don't even have 10K worth of graded inventory?!!?!?

the most expensive single card I own graded isn't worth over 500 bucks. >>

Sounds like they probably wouldn't have been able to unload for very much. It's not like they could just put it on ebay. Stupid, stupid kids.

Over the years, I've read or heard about several cases where a collection was stolen and turned up sometime later. One of the problems with stealing cards is the newer ones all have serial numbers and the older ones (if they're valuable) have certification numbers. If I was a burglar, I'd target something else, but of course burglars aren't always very bright...

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    You know, the ironic thing is that the easiest way to steal them would have been to just buy the cards off ebay and pay with paypal, lol.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Three words: "Collectibles Insurance Services".

Cleaner solution. >>

Make sure you pick the right "cleaner"...

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are ok. Sounds very scary.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for what happened and I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.

Thanks for the heads up...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Three words: "Collectibles Insurance Services".

Cleaner solution. >>

image >>

hands down one of my favorite movies
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    you should have made them pose with a couple of graded cards for us.
  • Options
    Glad it all worked out for you. For those of you that say he should have shot them, you better make sure they have a weapon in hand (even if it's a butter knife) if you do shoot.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad all is ok. Did they cut themselves on the broken window? Hopefully they have learned a lesson and will turn their lives around. Perhaps they can get counseling while incarcerated and will lead productive lives when they get out in about ten years.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three words: "Collectibles Insurance Services".

Cleaner solution. >>

>>

hands down one of my favorite movies

Besson's original La Femme Nikita was the bomb..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    im glad this turned out ok in a way,, tell cops theres a girl involved and if it were me i would have robbed them, took their wallets and made them pay for the window, a=holes,,j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

Glad you're OK - you handled that well - glad you had the shotgun! I'm surprised they didn't try to run - you musta scared the crap outa them!

Wow is all I can say.

Some story. With a happy ending - tho now you're gonna have to appear in court and everything - all because these jerks were idiots!

They attempted 3 times - not a charm for them!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>The thieves admitted they came in to rob me of my graded card collection because they saw it online >>

Twiley

What do you mean - they saw it online? How did they find you? IP search or something? Do you have a web with an address?

Thanx.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone - I was on the phone with 911 operator on speaker as soon as the brick was thrown. I grabbed the Mossberg and came back. The first kid was already in and second was climbing in as I took aim. I felt like Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane with a loud "FREEZE". They both put their arms up and didn't move. Within 5 minutes from my inital 911 call the police arrived. They had me in cuffs because I was holding a gun. Then they realized I was the 911 caller.

The one officer asked them as he was "cuffing and stuffing" them. Why did you break into that man's house. His words. "I saw he had a graded card collection online." He didn't say anything else.

I did tell the officers about the UPS calls.

BTW the police were excellent. Hands down. I am making a nice donation to the local boyz for doing such a great job.

Had a nice talk with one of them about guns. He got a kick out of my antique 30 30.

• Options
    Wow - what an experience!

I have to say - I'm concerned about how they hunted you down?

It may come out in court...

Please let us know if you find out.

That's why I have an active alarm system, 2 large safes to keep out the squares. I'm thinking I should consider a moat, an electrified fence, some booby traps and a junkyard dog?
    Mike
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Scary stuff. Glad you're okay. You say this all started when living in NJ ? But you're currently living in NC? Do you think it's the same clowns NJ to NC?
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

<< <i>You know, the ironic thing is that the easiest way to steal them would have been to just buy the cards off ebay and pay with paypal, lol. >>

So true... this really puts the entire ebay situation into proper perspective. Nothing could serve as a better indictment of the way ebay treats its sellers.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I have a Saiga 12 for this situation. Nothing like 10 rounds of 00 Buckshot.

Being in Ohio I would have open fire on them once they were in my house all the way. Castle doctrine thankfully exists in Ohio. Not sure about your state laws.

Glad you are alright though.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad it all worked out for you. For those of you that say he should have shot them, you better make sure they have a weapon in hand (even if it's a butter knife) if you do shoot. >>

Depends on what state you are in. Here in Texas, if you heard something come crashing through a window and you happened up on perps already in your own home, you could kill them and you probably wouldn't even get taken to the grand jury. If you did go to grand jury, you would be no billed.

I'm glad you are ok Twiley.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad it all worked out for you. For those of you that say he should have shot them, you better make sure they have a weapon in hand (even if it's a butter knife) if you do shoot. >>

Nah. Pretty much every place allows deadly force to defend your home. You don't even have to prove they have a weapon or anything else - their mere presence is justification.

Tabe
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Glad everyone's alright.

Perhaps I'm off base, but UPS Stores do not make deliveries? Did the NC calls also originate from a UPS Store?

• Options
    Great story. It shows maturity ...

back when I lived in NYC a kid broke into my car at night. I came running out and pasted him with a tennis racket. My buddy and I handcuffed him and sat hime under a tree.

I got his license out of his wallet - needless to say he was scared sh**less. I kept his license and he promised to come back tomorrow with money for the broken window of the car. He did.

I'm too old for that bat / tennis racket crap now ... so now a .44 magnum makes it convenient to aim from my easy chair - and it's range carries anywhere to the back yard without having to get up ...

Stupid part of the whole thing is - how can thieves be sure that a collection is kept in the house - mine isn't, so why get shot over nothing ?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Twiley

Sorry this happened to you.

To all of you that think you can simply shoot to kill any intruder you are both right and wrong.

First off it depends on the State (and in some cases county) you live in.

Some have what they call a 'duty to retreat law' If someone is breaking in the front, you can go out the back.

If you are in clear danger you can shoot to kill.

Even in Texas one must be in clear and present danger before they can shoot to kill. So simply

shooting someone for climbing through your window could find you facing some charges.

Bottom line, you better be under threat of life before you shoot, (or a loved one)

The authorities are going to want to know why you simply did not just hold them at gunpoint and call the police.

So NO, their mere presence is NOT justification.

Hopefully one of our Lawyer friends will chime in and put to rest this nonsense that you can kill someone

for simply breaking into your home.

Good for you.
  • Options
    I have to be honest...

I would not feel good about killing some kid over a B&E.

If my life were in danger is a different thing.
    Mike
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    To start, I am someone who has no problems when bad people die in the course of committing a crime. That being said, to just say 'I would kill them' is silly because you have no idea how this would affect you (I could care less about the actual perpetrator of the crime).

True story - my brother in laws friend had his house broken into when he was in college. 2 robbers - one kept a gun on him, the other gunmen took his roommate upstairs to search for money or whatever. My in-laws friend disarmed the gunmen with him (who left the house), went upstairs and the gunmen ended up holding the roommate hostage. In-laws friend shot and killed the gunmen saving his roommates life. Righteous kill by all accounts as the gunmen was seemingly set to kill one if not both of them. That was 10 years ago. He ended up dropping out of college and had therapy for years. I was and am not close to the guy, but not hard to see from the outside that it messed him up.

Twiley - you did the right thing by yourself...good for you. More importantly, glad you and yours are safe.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even in Texas one must be in clear and present danger before they can shoot to kill. So simply

shooting someone for climbing through your window could find you facing some charges.

Bottom line, you better be under threat of life before you shoot, (or a loved one)

The authorities are going to want to know why you simply did not just hold them at gunpoint and call the police.

So NO, their mere presence is NOT justification.

Hopefully one of our Lawyer friends will chime in and put to rest this nonsense that you can kill someone

for simply breaking into your home. >>

Here are the relevant provisions of the Texas Penal Code, I don't believe that it is "nonsense" as interpreted by our court system and grand juries here in Texas. (you'll have to ignore the emotion icons that are appearing, those are appearing because of the characters contained in the Texas Statutes have been converted to the emotion icons by the CU software)

SUBCHAPTER C. PROTECTION OF PERSONSSec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actorimage1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was usedimageA) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or(C) was committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.(b) The use of force against another is not justifiedimage1) in response to verbal provocation alone;(2) to resist an arrest or search that the actor knows is being made by a peace officer, or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, even though the arrest or search is unlawful, unless the resistance is justified under Subsection (c);(3) if the actor consented to the exact force used or attempted by the other;(4) if the actor provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force, unlessimageA) the actor abandons the encounter, or clearly communicates to the other his intent to do so reasonably believing he cannot safely abandon the encounter; and(B) the other nevertheless continues or attempts to use unlawful force against the actor; or(5) if the actor sought an explanation from or discussion with the other person concerning the actor's differences with the other person while the actor wasimageA) carrying a weapon in violation of Section 46.02; or(B) possessing or transporting a weapon in violation of Section 46.05.(c) The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justifiedimage1) if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest or search; and(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's (or other person's) use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.(d) The use of deadly force is not justified under this subchapter except as provided in Sections 9.32, 9.33, and 9.34.(e) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the force is used is not required to retreat before using force as described by this section.(f) For purposes of Subsection (a), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (e) reasonably believed that the use of force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.
    Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994; Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 190, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.Amended by: Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1, Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2007.

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against anotherimage1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessaryimageA) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actorimage1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was usedimageA) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or(C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.(c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this section.(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.
    Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 5316, ch. 977, Sec. 5, eff. Sept. 1, 1983; Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994; Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.Amended by: Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1, Sec. 3, eff. September 1, 2007.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person ifimage1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and(2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.
    Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.34. PROTECTION OF LIFE OR HEALTH. (a) A person is justified in using force, but not deadly force, against another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other from committing suicide or inflicting serious bodily injury to himself.(b) A person is justified in using both force and deadly force against another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force or deadly force is immediately necessary to preserve the other's life in an emergency.
    Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTYSec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession andimage1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable propertyimage1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessaryimageA) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and(3) he reasonably believes thatimageA) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property andimage1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or(2) the actor reasonably believes thatimageA) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    as with anything, depends who you kill. A prolific Self-defense case here in Boston resulted in the death of a politician's Godson. Shooter doing 7-10 who was licensed fire-arms instructor with permitted weapon. Deceased had unlicensed firearm with obliterated serial numbers. Mind you this was on the Shooter's street that is a dead-end, not inside the house, he just shot the wrong guy at the wrong time. Aim for the kneecaps...
  • Options
    Scary stuff.
This discussion has been closed.