Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about submitting cards - Penny Sleeves?

I am going to be submitting about 170 raw vintage cards for grading. I wanted to know from those who submit a lot of cards, do you put cards in penny sleeves and then in card saver or directly into card savers so PSA has to handle cards less. Also where would be cheapest place to get 175 or so card saver I's? Thanks.
PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I've always used the penny sleeves and then put into card saver. Cheapest place to get card savers....I have no idea. I've always picked up at card shows and got them cheaper than local card shops. I'm sure the vets here could point you to some online vendor who has a good deal.

Rodney
  • Options
    card savers.. AND penny sleeves.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. don't be causing delays to my subs like that.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i like the ultra pro grading submission holders, they are well priced on ebay... a box is 200 fyi
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Vlad, These are ok instead of card savers? They are called what exactly? Thanks. Would you put cards in penny sleeves before putting them in these?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use penny sleeves but I cut one edge of them so as to not ding corners when inserting.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Vlad, These are ok instead of card savers? They are called what exactly? Thanks. Would you put cards in penny sleeves before putting them in these? >>

ebay BIN #1
    ebay BIN #2

I always use sleeves, slice the top right side with a knife to ensure the corner of the card doesn't catch. It's probably less of an issue for vintage cards but imo every modern card should always have a sleeve due to the gloss which can scratch easily and shows finger prints. The Ultra Pro Submission holders aren't as flimsy as the Card Savers version...
  • Options
    I do NOT use penny sleeves. Buy Card Saver Is from Columbia Sportscards(I think that's the name).
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use penny sleeves but I cut one edge of them so as to not ding corners when inserting. >>

Me too. I don't want some monkey-thumbed grader manhandling my card out of the Card Saver. The penny sleeve has enough material left over on the top for the grader to grab when extracting from the Card Saver.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    There is something for him to grab the card from the card svaer but is there more of a chance then getting it out of the penny sleeve? Thanks.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>There is something for him to grab the card from the card svaer but is there more of a chance then getting it out of the penny sleeve? Thanks. >>

Vintage sleeves give the grader something to grab to pull the card out without damaging it. A simple push with one finger on the bottom then pushes the card out of the sleeve. To each his own, but I'll always use sleeves.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I have never used penny sleeves. In fact, I hate them. Too much can go wrong when people are inserting and removing cards from them. Corners are easily dinged by them.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yes to modern glossy cards, no to vintage card stock.

However, I always snip the corners to prevent a potential snag. I think it's almost a requirement for glossy card stock, as it's surface can be easily scratch by a rogue piece of dust.

I've always done this and have never had a damaged card and have always received the expected grade or higher.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I'm ashamed to say that I never thought of doing this, but will from now on.

Rodney

<< <i>I use penny sleeves but I cut one edge of them so as to not ding corners when inserting. >>

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    has anyone ever used just penny sleeves for some cards. i am sending in a large bulk sub. there are some that i have just in penny sleeves that i wasnt planning on putting in CS's. they will be fine in the box for transit as they are packed in PSA cardboard boxes with cards in CS's in front and behind them and then the box is filled with bubble wrap.

any thoughts on if this is the best way. or would i be better off just using up another 200+ CS's?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>has anyone ever used just penny sleeves for some cards. i am sending in a large bulk sub. there are some that i have just in penny sleeves that i wasnt planning on putting in CS's. they will be fine in the box for transit as they are packed in PSA cardboard boxes with cards in CS's in front and behind them and then the box is filled with bubble wrap.

any thoughts on if this is the best way. or would i be better off just using up another 200+ CS's? >>

I would spend the money on CS's.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    You can also use the larger penny sleeves made for jersey cards. They fit in CS1's just fine and I have never caught the second corner on insertion.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.