Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

**The night I burned over 35,000 1968 Topps bb cards**

This is a true story I posted a couple years back and I thought I would post it again for the entertainment and dismay of members who have joined the boards since then.

It was back in '68 at the age of 11 that I first started collecting baseball cards. We had one little store in town that sold nickel wax packs but that spring a large department store had it's grand opening and my mother and I both attended. I anxiously asked an employee if they had bb cards and he said, "they are hanging on a rack over there" as he was pointing. I scurried toward my destination point wondering what the heck he meant by "hanging". As I turned a corner I saw hanging before me dozens upon dozens of '68 Topps baseball rack packs. I stood there in amazement as you could actually see the cards through the plastic.

As an avid Dodger fan I found a rack with Don Sutton showing on top and bought that one. I also saw a rack with a player who had an attractive all-star rookie yellow trophy on his card. I had never heard of him but since he had that trophy I figured he must be petty good so I purchased it as well--his name was Tom Seaver. After busting the racks during the car ride back home I became instantaneously hooked on racks. I had a nice sized paper route back then and made about $40 a month which was alot of money for an 11 year-old. So at .29 cents a pop I could afford a lot of racks. I spent the entire baseball season busting racks and hoarding huge amounts of cards. I also had several friends who collected cards as well and we would bust racks together and trade for hours at a time on weekends.

Well the years quickly passed and by 1971 collecting cards had fallen out of favor with all of my friends. I still had some fading interest so I was able to acquire all of my friends' collections for little to nothing. Then by my sophomore year in '73 I no longer had any interest in cards. I had just obtained my drivers license and all my money went towards gas and girls. Unfortunately '73 was the year of the "gas shortage" and gas was rationed in Southern California and getting very expensive. To help pay for gas I came up with the idea of selling my massive hoard of cards. One of my friends had a father who regularly rented a space and sold items at the Chino Swap Meet. So that weekend I borrowed my father's pick up and loaded up several large boxes of bb cards ranging from '65 to '71 with the majority being '68's. I decided it would be too bothersome to have tons of people digging through all the boxes looking for particular players so days prior I put all the cards in 100 card bundles secured by rubber bands.

Well it was the day of the swap meet and I had all the boxes neatly arranged on the ground and I proudly displayed my sign which read, "Baseball Cards: .50 cents a bundle". Since bb cards cost .1 cent each I figured at half price they would go like hot cakes. Well to my disappointment the minutes turned to hours without a single sale. After two hours I lowered the price to .25 cents a bundle and still no takers. I sat there for six hours and didn't sell a single bundle. So in disgust I loaded them all back up and went home.

A few months later on Halloween day of 1973 I decided since the cards had no value I would just hand the bundles out to the kids instead of candy. My mother insisted that we had to give the kids candy so I decided it was going to be a baseball card/candy combo night for the kids--boy were they going to be happy!! Yea right, as soon I began tossing bundles of cards into the kid's sacks I could see displeasure registering in their eyes. Very few of the kids wanted cards because they desired only candy and the cards either weighted down their bags or took up to much room in bags that the kids had fantasized would be full of candy by night's end. I did have a few kids who initially welcomed the cards but their enthusiasm quickly turned to disappointment when they said these were "old cards" and not this year's new cards from '73.

So as Halloween night progressed I had grown thoroughly disgusted with the ongoing inconvenience and frustration these 35,000+ cards were causing me. So while eating candy in front of fire place the warmth of the flames sparked a thought which to this very day I passionately regret--burn them!! That's right and that's just what I did. For the next few hours as my mom handed out candy I threw bundles by the handfuls into the fireplace and actually took pleasure in ridding myself of these worthless, unwanted by everyone, pieces of cardboard. I actually became somewhat agitated when I thought about how much of my hard earned paper route money was invested in this worthless multitude.

By late evening it was over and I had burned over 35,000+ Topps baseball cards ranging from 1965 to 1971 and yes there were copies of Mantle, Mays & Aaron sprinkled throughout all the bundles. I rendered no mercy or prejudice in my carnage.

As hard as this is to believe it is in fact a true story. You have to remember back in '73, at least in my neck of the woods, baseball cards had only sentimental value and no monetary value whatsoever and as my story illustrates you couldn't even give them away. Halloween night of '73 is a day that I regret each and every day of my life and it will forever live in infamy--even more than Pearl Harbor!!!

"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

Comments

• Options
    Great Read! thank you for sharing.

im sure that stories like this were more common place then not back in the 70s
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    << pours out a 40 for the burned homies....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Wow...what a sad story. I'm hurting and they weren't even my cards!!! I would still be having nightmares.

Thanks for sharing.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By late evening it was over and I had burned over 35,000+ Topps baseball cards ranging from 1965 to 1971 >>

Ouch. image

That's 5,000 cards per year. How many sets did you need?!? lol
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    thanks for stimulating the card market by reducing supply, check's in the mail.
  • Options
    great story. very true about cards only having sentimental value in most necks of the woods. also true about kids being unhappy about receiving old cards for Halloween. the giver would generally be viewed as a cheapskate. we once re-packaged old cards and sold them at a 'yard sale' to other neighborhood kids. our No Return policy was quickly reversed when a purchaser returned with a parent. don't regret the burning. I am sure there is something we are all overlooking (and wasting) right now that will someday be priceless.
  • Options
    It was 1973...what dope-smokin, hippy wannabe wants a clean-shaven '66 Bob Gibson card? Even those swingin seventies kids knew that "porkchops" were all the rage!

Bob Gibson, 1973 was where it was at.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    Wow, the things we do. My brother and I thought it was quite fun to throw baseball cards in the fireplace one at a time and laugh when their faces burned. That would have been right around the same tme period. I recall the ones that would go first were the 4 player rookie cards, because who wanted 'rookies'.

Cool story.
  • Options
    Great story, I grew up in the late eighties and early nineties and have the same feeling about them. image
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    wow, think of all the stars, high numbers, and low pop commons! I remember circling alot of the stats on the backs of all my Mays, Aaron, and Killebrew cards.
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great story, I grew up in the late eighties and early nineties and have the same feeling about them. image >>

Haha every once in a while I think about using my 10000 '87 Topps cards for kindling.
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    I still have some unopened Donruss baseball packs my wife bought years ago to hand out as Halloween treats. They were real plain blue wrappers and contained only five cards or so...
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

Ouch.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may sound strange, but it seems as though I have read your story(or one very similar to it) someplace before...have you posted it anywhere else online?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may sound strange, but it seems as though I have read your story(or one very similar to it) someplace before...have you posted it anywhere else online?

Summer stared at the start of the thread that he had posted this story on this board a couple of years back..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful read, brings back memories of when I tossed what I thought were worthless cards out. At least your cards kept you warm for a while. Mine ended up in some garbage heap.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Thanks Grote15 for clearing up that complicated matterimage
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good story.

During my childhood - I don't think I had more than maybe 1500 cards? And I never pulled a Mantle!
    Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure it wasn't maybe 350 cards...and then over the years it turned into 3,500 cards...then 35,000 cards..then some years from now it will be 350,000 cards?

Just kidding. image
  • Options
    If I had done that, I would have broken my back many times over from constantly kicking myself in the ass for the past 38 years.
  • Options

<< <i><< pours out a 40 for the burned homies.... >>

lol...wife wanted to know what was so funny.

Twiley - that's an incredible story. Ever estimate how much went burned up that night? Just the curious CPA in me.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Grote15 for clearing up that complicated matterimage >>

image Sorry....I'm stupid sometimes! image
  • Options
    I guess that this is an instance where I should be glad that I grew up in the lame era of late 70s/early 80s because I pretty much did the same thing, but on a much smaller scale. I can recall cutting up dozens of Rickey rookies and burning lots of other 77, 78, 80 and 81 (T, D and F) cards while bored in the clubhouse in the woods. But as the saying goes, "nothing (or very little) of value was lost".

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Thanks for sharing the story....
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I remember cutting the pennant flags off of 65 Topps and the straight lines with the team names off of 66 Topps cards and pasting them on other cards when someone got traded. didn't matter who was cut up, if I needed a Yankee flag or braves straight line they very well could have been Mantle and Aarons or Michaels and Upshaws.....also remember writing on backs of many cards back in the day when they were a hobby and not an investment.....
  • Options
    That was one of the funniest, greatest, saddest, most amazing stories i've ever heard about our great hobby. Thanks for sharing and starting my week off with a belly laugh and sympathy at the same time.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i had a neighbor. his name was Mike. he was a smart kid. unlike me. because Mike was 14 and i was only 10. and i had a big BIG box of vintage baseball cards i got from Uncle Bob, but i was finished putting them in stacks and playing dice baseball with them because i wanted something different, so i sold the big BIG box of vintage cards to Mike for $10.00

TEN DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

i was overjoyed, so i went to toy store and bought stickers. maybe Wacky Packages, or who knows? then i stuck the stickers on my bedroom door and window. they were neat-o.

i bet Mike gets a good laugh about me every time he stares out the window of his 27th floor corner office.

Uncle Bob, maybe not so much. image

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of us did stupid things when we were kids. I know I did. I'm just grateful my mischief never landed me in jail.

Still, it hurts to read that story. I went the opposite way, hoarding 87 topps cards thinking they would be priceless treasures. Sadly, burning those would have been much more cost effective than those damn Duraflames.

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    My pack buying didn't start until '73 and always wanted cards from earlier years when I 'ripped' my first pack. Never had the experience of seeing a Mantle as I flipped through the cards while chewing on the 9th piece of gum I stuffed in my mouth. I too had a paper route but by then my paper route money was going into 1979 - 1982 packs.

I remember I'd read the classifieds to look for people selling old baseball cards - I found this one guy who would sell his old cards (from the 60's). Quite a few of them had 'bb' holes in them or Army Sergeant Stripes in marker on them. Yes, I owned "Sergeant Yastrzemski" & "Corporal Aaron” I might have even had a "PFC Rose" in there somewhere.

Sometimes reflecting back to our youth brings back both the good & bad. Thanks for sharing!!

Mike