Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are people really fooled by these sort of bid retractions

Yeah, he entered the wrong amount but then didn't rebid. Such a transparent attempt at forcing up the budding IMO.

Linkydink
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this happen too often myself. If I was that other bidder, I would say I entered the wrong amount too!!!

Have you ever dealt with this seller before?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    looks like the seller has a pretty good background selling high end product, i doubt he needs the help.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>looks like the seller has a pretty good background selling high end product, i doubt he needs the help. >>

True, but when I see a retraction like that, without a "correction", it smells funny. Hope it wasn't the seller, and hope it wasn't someone polluting the auction.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>looks like the seller has a pretty good background selling high end product, i doubt he needs the help. >>

True, but when I see a retraction like that, without a "correction", it smells funny. Hope it wasn't the seller, and hope it wasn't someone polluting the auction. >>

w/o knowing better, i'd say no foul play here, the retractor in question has an extensive enough bidding history, but no priors with the seller.....of course, plenty of ID's to go around.

so what's your angle? gonna win in and then bust it here? image
  • Options
    Don't know if it was the seller or not, but this auction is not on the up and up.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

True, but when I see a retraction like that, without a "correction", it smells funny. Hope it wasn't the seller, and hope it wasn't someone polluting the auction. >>

w/o knowing better, i'd say no foul play here, the retractor in question has an extensive enough bidding history, but no priors with the seller.....of course, plenty of ID's to go around.

so what's your angle? gonna win in and then bust it here? image >>

LOL - that would be quite the thread!!

In a slightly better economy, I might have suggested a group rip on this. I can't even fathom the effort associated with arranging that these days.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, he entered the wrong amount but then didn't rebid. Such a transparent attempt at forcing up the budding IMO.

Linkydink >>

It seems more likely the retracting bidder is at fault here and trying to find out what the top bid is.

He only bid on this sellers 1 auction and has 45 bid retractions in the last 6 months.

But I agree, I hate to see a bid retraction on an auction I am interested in or have bid on.

Joe
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't see that bidder has had 45 bid retractions. Seller should be cleared of wrong doing, but why does Ebay allow a bidder to obviously continue to play games with auctions? Oh wait, it's Ebay, you don't have to answer that one.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    I was bidding on a box of 79 Topps hockey from the same seller and a bidder bid me up to $1200 and now is listed as not a registered user. his feedback was a few hundred. maybe this was his new ID. Looks and sounds fishy to me now.
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It appears so.

Good for you.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I was watching that box. The seller said it came from a Mastro auction in 2003. The price was definitely right for a clean box, even 2nd series. I asked if he'd give me a refund if it didn't pass PSA/Steve Hart unopened authentication and he kind of sidestepped a little. He didn't offer a guarantee just said it would pass any authentication.
  • Options
    I may be wrong in my reading of the bid history, but this still smells to high holy hell to me.That one retracted bid seems to have taken things from a dead-quiet auction with one bid at the opening amount, to a number 25% higher in one fell swoop. IOW, exactly what a shill bid is designed to do.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bidder is from Chicago. I doubt he has any connection with the seller.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>That bidder is from Chicago. I doubt he has any connection with the seller. >>

Seriously?? Don't you have any friends/relatives/associates in other cities than where you live?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< That bidder is from Chicago. I doubt he has any connection with the seller. >>

Seriously?? Don't you have any friends/relatives/associates in other cities than where you live?

I'm not saying it's NOT possible, just unlikely, IMO...the bid retractor is an avid buyer of unopened packs, and obviously uses the bid retraction option on a regular basis for MANY other sellers besides this one...which is an abuse of the option, yes, but it doesn't make him a shill.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>
    << That bidder is from Chicago. I doubt he has any connection with the seller. >>

I'm not saying it's NOT possible, just unlikely, IMO...the bid retractor is an avid buyer of unopened packs, and obviously uses the bid retraction option on a regular basis for MANY other sellers besides this one...which is an abuse of the option, yes, but it doesn't make him a shill. >>

True, it doesn't prove he's a shill, but it darn sure makes this a smelly auction. I wonder if any potential buyers were scared off in the process.

As another poster mentioned, it's really sorry that EBay doesn't permban a buyer with a history of retracting. In my 10+ years on Ebay, I "MAY" have mis-bid once.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    As another poster mentioned, it's really sorry that EBay doesn't permban a buyer with a history of retracting. In my 10+ years on Ebay, I "MAY" have mis-bid once.

Agreed.