Home U.S. Coin Forum

Norse Centennial Bronze Medal (badge) question.

Not sure if this is entirely applicable here but there seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable people in medals and badges in addition to coins. Besides the description from the website does anyone else know any more about these? Mintage, when, where, why?

Thanks all,

"1925 Norse-American Centennial Badge. Bronze scalloped, 38.5mm. Attributed to Adam Pietz. Choice About Uncirculated. Brig Restaurationen under full sail, carrying the first organized group of Norwegian immigrants to U.S., 1825. Celebration legend, St. Paul, Minnesota. The octagonal Norse-American Medals in Gold and Silver marking the same event are well-known to commemorative coin collectors. With fragmentary red-white-blue ribbon and pinback header, made by Greenduck Co., Chicago."

imageimage

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is also listed as a So-Called Dollar (HK-673), although technically speaking it would only "count" as a So-Called in the non-looped format, and I've never actually *seen* a non-looped version.

The looped version as you have is fairly obtainable.
  • The Norse American Centennial Celebration, held at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in 1925, issued many souvenirs for the event, this being one of them. The bronze was the most common and available to anyone who wanted to purchase it. They were also available in silver and/or gold-plated at additional cost. Most attendees purchased one of these and they are regularly available on eBay for $5-$10, depending on condition and plating option.
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, both of you. Another question, is the cursive at the top where they would write a name in? There is a similar one to the photo below the is on ebay, that is in better shape, and appears to have the same writing in what I assume to be the name tag.

imageimage[IMG]http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/erickso1/norsemedal.jpg">

Ebay medal image
  • Yes, the nameplate was where the purchaser placed their name. The more valuable ones have various organizations named 'lags' instead of names. I forgot to tell you that these are sometimes sold as watch fobs when the ribbon and nameplate are missing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file