Home U.S. Coin Forum

Way back machine, actual prices paid from 1994

This thread about predictions made in 1994 (link) motivates this new thread.

I know more than a few keep detailed records of all their coin purchases. On that 1994 thread I posted a few of my buys from that year, what I paid, what they are currently worth. Anyone else with good records? It doesn't have to be from 1994, but any time during the 1990s would be interesting. If you do have actual detail records use 1994 so folks can compare notes. Best, worst and average in terms of price performance.

From 1994 my best was a 1/10 ounce gold coin bought for $44 (melt might have been $32 or so), now worth $140 wholesale, $180 retail. Worst might have been a roll of circulated Indian cents, paid $40, might retail for $60 today, wholesale would be lucky to get my $40 back. I also bought a roll of V-nickels, for $25, retail might be $40, wholesale about break even. Some of the middle, include some circulated Seated coins that I paid full retail for and are up 40% to 50% on the price lists. Unfortunately that kind of price guide increase likely means about break even if sold wholesale today. Another winner: a roll of Morgans that I paid $169 for, now worth about triple that.

I know Heritage and sometimes Teletrade have price archives that go back. I thought it would be interesting to hear more real life stories about what real life collectors actually bought back in the day. When price appreciation threads come up, folks often use hindsight to cherry pick the absolutely best performers, while average collector end up with average stuff. I know some folks have records that go way back. No need to post every buy, just a sampling of best, average and worst. It would be interesting to see if anyone actually bought coins on the list from the other thread to confirm or debunk that the quality of the picks from that old list.

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember paying $90 for a roll of 01 ASE's around Feb. of 01.
    Wish I had bought more.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    fresh out of college in 1978 finally making some money -I finished my Indian head
    set with the purchase of an vg 1877 for a whopping $200 . My wife thought I was crazy.
    I still have that set in an old Capital board and I still enjoy it though it pales in comparison
    to my current collection. For the record still have the same wife (and 7 children and 8 grandchildren)
    and she doesn"t think I'm crazy anymore
    palmer
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i> For the record still have the same wife (and 7 children and 8 grandchildren)
    and she doesn"t think I'm crazy anymore >>

At some point it goes from "thinking you are crazy" to "knowing you are crazy" image
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    1994 is Way Back? I'm only gone through two wives since 1994... that's nothing! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I bought my avatar in 94 or 95 for around $750. PCGS VF25 OGH. --Jerry
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2x 100 oz silver Englehard bars for 425 a piece!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file