Home Precious Metals
Options

Far-fetched thinking on my part about copper cents?

I'm asking this here because I can't stand the U.S. coin Forum. So help me out, is this way out far-fetched thinking, or is it worth doing because at this point it's only a penny?

Do you think that one day, maybe way down the road (or maybe not that far at all), cents will cease to be minted because they would have no real use in commerce? Something like everything would just be rounded off to the .05. If so, that would possibly lead to copper cents made previous to 1982 to be allowed to be melted for their 95% copper content? When were 90% silver coins allowed to be melted for their silver after they ceased to be minted for commerce?

Could this happen and is it worth taking the time to seperate? I wonder if someone asked this in 1964 about 90% silver coins and took the time to do it. If they did and held to this point, they would've been very wise to do so. Yeah, it'll be nearly 50 years later and i'll probably not live to see the benefit of it if it was made Law tomorrow, but it's a "what the hell" thing to do for my children and theirs too. I'm sure parents did it back then for the same reasons. I know there are many other things I can do for them to help provide for their future, and i'm doing those things, but this is a dirt cheap thing to do that could pay off nicely, yeah, 50 years from now. I understand that.
After all, you would just be tying up a very small amount of money at its current value, 1 cent x how many you'd have.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The only problem is storage. Silver bad enough in it's bulk, Copper is out of this world, a pound of copper is selling for what an ounce of silver was before the climb. You better build a house out of it image I do save copper cents and nickels but lets get real your never going to get rich trying to store that volume for very long.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I have started separating copper and keeping it back too, but ttown has a point. Silver is around $33/oz right now. It would take approx 18-20 rolls of copper cents to equal the same price in an ounce of silver. Might just be better off accumulating pocket change over time, cashing in at a Coin Star and then taking that cash to a B&M to buy some silver with it. Much less bulk. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The primary reason I collect penny's and nickel's isn't so much to make a killing on metals since it takes so much but I see the penny and nickel either going away or being made out of a cheap material to keep them in production. There coins will be worth more to collectors than the scrap bin when your allowed to melt them. I think they take the penny out of production then you might get 3 to 5 cent each for them which would be a great score if you had enough.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I think they take the penny out of production then you might get 3 to 5 cent each for them which would be a great score if you had enough
    Now were thinkin on the same track. Yeah, storage will/would be an issue at some point. But just imagine what it would be at that point!
    People would be like..."would ya look at that stash!" lmao
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I think "forever" stamps from the USPS might turn out to be a better investment than copper pennies.

just too heavy ...

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx