Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Magician Coin - how to open?

MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know an easy way to open up one of those Kennedy magician coins? I found one today coin roll hunting but can't get the thing to budge. I'm sure am curious to see what kind of coin they left inside!

Maine_Jim

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magician coins are usually glued or soldered together so they can't be opened.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Ive seen the type that opens and reveals a slightly smaller coin. In the UK a 10p was used and a 2p inside ..hey presto chango , with a dollar size coin im guessing a half goes inside.
  • Options

<< <i>Ive seen the type that opens and reveals a slightly smaller coin. In the UK a 10p was used and a 2p inside ..hey presto chango , with a dollar size coin im guessing a half goes inside. >>

That is the kind it is. I can hear something rattling around in there. You can see the seem with a loop. I just can't get it to twist open.

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    Most magician coins are two halves of the same denomination glued or soldered together---two heads or two tails. Then there are "box dollars" or so called "opium Dollars" with a hidden hinge that can be opened to expose a small picture of a loved one, for example. It's doubtful they were ever used to smuggle opium but that's a popular myhth.

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Ive seen the type that opens and reveals a slightly smaller coin. In the UK a 10p was used and a 2p inside ..hey presto chango , with a dollar size coin im guessing a half goes inside. >>

Try dropping it a few inches onto a wooden table---it may pop open.

• Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Check this video out on You Tube:

Hollow Spy Coin
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look for a worn or marked spot then squeeze tightly between thumb and other finger.....

they will usually rock open.

• Options
    Abara Cadabara ?
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Abara Cadabara ? >>

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Smaller denomination coins of this type can be easily separated into the parts by gently shaking it in a shot glass. For larger coins like the half dollar, there is a ring device that comes with the "coin" that makes separation of the two pieces easy with a light tap. It is easy to damage the edges of the larger coins, hence the use of the ring.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options

<< <i>Abara Cadabara ? >>

If that don't work, try Hocus Pocus.image

• Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Maybe not used to smuggle opium. But possibly used to carry/store it for personal use.
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    pressto changeo has always worked for me.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    "Open Sesame!"
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know an easy way to open up one of those Kennedy magician coins? I found one today coin roll hunting but can't get the thing to budge. I'm sure am curious to see what kind of coin they left inside!

Maine_Jim >>

I've got one with a peso on the other side of a normal Kennedy reverse. It took a little prying with a sharp knife, but it popped right open. If yours has a Kennedy reverse, I'll say the odds are it's one of those that opens. Otherwise, what's the point of the trick? I also have a two-headed Jefferson nickel. That one's glued shut.

EDIT: I also have just the heads-side of a wheat cent, with an opened reverse. I'm thinking maybe I ought to get into the magic business. image
  • Options
    No luck yet. I even tried the old trick for a dent on a car. Heat the metal than freeze fast with canned air. That will fix about half your minor dents...but nothing. I did see where there was a small hole and water would squeeze out of the coin after being submerged. Something is hiding in there...

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I've owned a couple of these. Put it in a glass (one actually made of glass), cover the top with your open hand, and shake. If it's stubborn, just keep rattling it around. A pro magician showed me this. It works.
  • Options
    Success! Out popped a 1966 Mexican Centavos! First I tried a pint beer glass and had no luck. Then I tried a tumbler and it popped apart about a minute into it! Thanks! I had about given up on it.

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    I just took mine out and I can now see it's a centavo, like yours, except it's the reverse (so, no date/denomination). I think the first thing that struck me about it was the rotated reverse, as it was seated a little off-alignment. I just keep the two pieces separated, in a little plastic bag. Good find!
  • Options
    For me it was the sound that gave it away. I was searching some rolls when I heard the strange sound it made when I poured the roll into my hand. I usually pour each roll into my hand as the silvers sound distinct enough that I miss very few and is the fastest method. I date check any unusual looking ones. This is the second magician coin I found but the first was missing one side. Thanks for the tip!

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For me it was the sound that gave it away. I was searching some rolls when I heard the strange sound it made when I poured the roll into my hand. I usually pour each roll into my hand as the silvers sound distinct enough that I miss very few and is the fastest method. I date check any unusual looking ones. This is the second magician coin I found but the first was missing one side. Thanks for the tip!

Maine_Jim >>

You're welcome. I knew I'd do something useful around here eventually.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    you have to yell very loudly:

TA-DAH

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wrong thread

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file