Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Illuminated loupe recommendations needed

Any recommendations? I bought one for less than $10 on eBay a couple of years ago but I'm not crazy about it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one - but rarely use it.

I found that a 10X loupe with an external source - like an Ott light works well for me.

I do have a large magnifier with a fluorescent lamp in the office - it works pretty good "in house."

I also have a binocular - up to 80x - microscope for all kinds of stuff - it has a built in light - I've been spending time re-reading the Cycleback web - and trying to learn more about different papers, photos, sigs, lithographs etc.

I'd like to take a good course on forensic document studies when I retire - both paper and sig analysis would be cool.

Sorry - back to the loupe thing - my recommendation - a good 10x loupe and an LED penlight works really well - one of my suppliers gave me an LED light - they're incredible - and one can really see well with it - great for taking to a show I would think?

Mike
  • Options
    Lookin' for more help w/ this...
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I agree on the separate light source. I use a Carson 10x LoumiLoop (sp?) that comes with a reticle for measuring centering, and a strong desk lamp. I haven't seen any decent loupes with a light built in.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lookin' for more help w/ this... >>

What's the purpose of the mag?

To take to shows? Or for home use?

Since this stuff is cheap - why not start with something like this and work from there...

15X Mag.... Only 7.99
    Mike
  • Options
    I use one called the Eschenbach Grading Lens, it's real good quality and is great for grading. It cost me $70 years ago, but it's worth the cost.