Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identify this coin - Please (Asian/Korean?)

My son and I are trying to identify some foreign coins and cannot find this one in the World Coins book. Can you identify it for me? I'm going blind! image
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The writing appears to be Korean. My gut feeling is it's a temple token of some kind. But my guy is often incorrect.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Put Asian (Korean ?) in your title; Sumnom will be along shortly to confirm.

Some of the characters match this tube of Korean skin cream I'm now looking at.......that's the scope of my Korean lang. knowledge. imageimage
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I think it says (very loosely) bus token / good for one fare - the bottom pic is upside down.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Correct, it is a South Korean bus token!The upper image reads "City Bus" and the lower image (which is upside down) reads "ilban," which means regular or standard. It means that the bus token is good for a regular (as opposed to express or long distance) bus within the city. These tokens used to also identify the city in which they were to be used but this one is not so marked. Maybe it was from Seoul?

I used to use these on the bus in Taegu when I lived there in 1995-96. That was just about the time they were phased out.