Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help ID some Gold

I have my camera in the wife's car so I am going to try to wing this. I have a gold coin (Proof) it could be a medal. The size is that of a silver dollar. On the obverse it has, PAVLVS. VI. PONTIFEX. MAXIMVS. ANNO.I The Reverse Has CORONA. AVREA. SVPER. CAPVT. EIVS. CORONA. ALSO XXXVI and under this MCMLXIII.l Very Tiny Cross then .900 and then a very small indentation but I cant make out what it is. . I know it came from Rome.

I need to know what the coin is. WHat the valve might be. Is it worth more then gold value? Is their a site where I can see it I can't find the coin anywhere on the web. I will have a picture later today. Thanks for your help .

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Its not a coin but sounds like an extraordinary Vatican City medal in memory of Paul VI's coronation. The date on the reverse should be XXX.VI MCMLXIII for the 30th of June, 1963. In my experience Paul VI gold medals don't sell for a large premium to melt (eg most of the few gold medals I have were purchased at bullion or just a modest premium). Would like to see a pic to verify and if you're selling, feel free to drop me a PM (shameless commercial comment of course).

Here's a photo of bronze example that I purloined (the image not the medal) from Jencius' site.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    Here is a picture with Box

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great medal. Nice enough in bronze, but in proof gold... whoa.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i'm doubting that is solid gold but rather a silver/gold alloy (judging from the wording on the box 'argenteria' and 'orologeria')

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'm doubting that is solid gold but rather a silver/gold alloy (judging from the wording on the box 'argenteria' and 'orologeria') >>

I think that's just the store's card, rather than descriptive of the medal:

Gioielleria = Jewelry
    Argenteria = Silverware
    Orologeria = Clockworks
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    i'm doubting that is solid gold but rather a silver/gold alloy (judging from the wording on the box 'argenteria' and 'orologeria')

Well, anything is possible, but the owner was kind enough to send me some additional info, and it appears that all of the diagnostics are correct for the 44mm "extraordinary" (vs the annual issue) gold medal including a weight very close to that listed in DeLuca. It is correctly hallmarked with the .900 fineness, while the silvers were marked .986 and bronze not marked at all.

BTW, the box appears to be an aftermarket box, probably from the retailer; I have a 3 of the large golds from this general period and they seem to have been issued in either a plush red box or (interestingly) an cellophane type envelope.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    ah, i will defer to Spoon's mastery of language above mine

i was basing this from Argent = silver and i know that Oro = gold in some languages that are derivative from Romantic languages

my mistake

www.brunkauctions.com