Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Remembering the Whale---from '79 OPC hockey.

Just got this yesterday. I couldn't find the old "hockey card Saturday" thread so I'll just make a new post. I would like to get all four of these: I also have the Edmonton Oilers card but need the Jets and Nordiques. (There's a Jet card on ebay but I think $100 is too high.)

And unlike a certain '79 Gretzky that's being discussed on this forum, this whale is weal!

Comments

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    By the way, the '79-80 Whalers weren't that bad and the team had a lot of novelty. They went 27-34-19, losing in the first round of the playoffs-- not bad considering they missed the playoffs the next 5 years.

This team featured old time hockey greats Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull AND Davy Keon. (This was Howe's and Hull's last season but Keon played until '82.) Additionally, Howe's sons Mark and Marty played on this team. (Mark had a very respectable career in the WHA and NHL which appropriately ended with the Red Wings.)
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    The Nordiques is not an emblem card its a team pictue. I love the Whalers
    and miss them.....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • The Hartford Civic Centre was the greatest place to go to see an NHL game. And if you got there early and walked around around lunch time, virtually every player from the Whalers and the opposing team would be in the mall milling about...
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great looking 9.
  • I went to the last Whalers game in Hartford - I believe it was vs. Tampa. The entire experience was very uncomfortable. The building was old, the atmosphere was funeral like and the crowd very sad. A very odd game. Dave
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a hockey collector but that's a sweet card!

Congratulations.
    Mike

• << <i>I went to the last Whalers game in Hartford - I believe it was vs. Tampa. The entire experience was very uncomfortable. The building was old, the atmosphere was funeral like and the crowd very sad. A very odd game. Dave >>

I was able to go to the last Whalers v. Bruins game at "The Mall in Hartford. Probably the most live crowd in the 15 years of going to the HCC that I had seen. As expected, I'm a passive Whalercanes fan now...
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the last hockey games I saw at the Boston Garden was the Bruis vs. the Whalers. It was a very exciting game.

Nice card by the way...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • When I was a kid me and some other kids on my hockey team went and saw the Whalers play. The Civic center was closer from Western mass then Boston.

Till this day I still remember the music beat to get the crowd pumped. Does anyone remember the tune. Awesome.
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Its called the brass bonanza. Look it up on youtube.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • I Really like this hockey set. The last of the 1970's hockey cards and the mix of old stars and new - Espositos ( both Phil and Tony), Hull, Howe, LaFleur, Dryden, Gretzky ...

This was the downfall of the NHL - Northern cities (Quebec, Hartford, Winnipeg) traded for desination not hockey friendly - Miami, Phoenix, Dallas ...
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    They're back! Well sort of, alive and well in the AHL. Late November name change from the Hartford Wolfpack to the Connecticut Whale.

Pucky is back too (sort of).