Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Lenny Dykstra running the Mets ?

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The embattled owners of the New York Mets received a loan from Major League Baseball in November in order to cover operating expenses, the team acknowledged Friday.

"We said in October that we expected to have a short-term liquidity issue," the team said in a statement. "To address this, we did receive a loan from Major League Baseball in November. Beyond that, we will not discuss the matter any further."

The New York Daily News and The New York Times pinned the amount at $25 million.

Mets blog
Looking for more information on your Mets? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Mets owner Fred Wilpon, brother-in-law and team president Saul Katz and various family members and entities related to Sterling Equities are facing a lawsuit seeking $1 billion. The legal action by Irving H. Picard, the trustee recovering funds for victims of Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme, alleges Mets owners knew, or should have known, about the fraud. Total losses in the Ponzi scheme are estimated at around $20 billion.

Principal owner Fred Wilpon and chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon recently announced they intended to sell 20 to 25 percent of the team. However, Steve Greenberg, the man they hired to identify investors, since has stated the percentage sold could be higher. The Wilpons nonetheless adamantly maintain they intend to retain a controlling interest in the team.

Asked a week ago how he could be so confident in his ability to retain controlling ownership of the Mets given the uncertainty of the legal proceedings, Fred Wilpon insisted: "I can only tell you we have the resources in other businesses. Every one of our other businesses are going very well. And this business has to be straightened out -- no question about it."

Less than two weeks ago, Moody's Investors Service lowered its outlook on the company that operates the ballpark used by the New York Mets because of the litigation. The ratings firm cut the outlook on Queens Ballpark Co. LLC to "Negative," but maintained its "Ba1" rating on the company's bonds.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mets mercenary players suck and now this...I guess when it rains it pours.

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of empty seats this season at Citi Field.

The Mets are overall so bad, it might be difficult for me this upcoming season to get motivated enough for some Mets smack...but I'll try my best. image
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I thought Dykstra ran the Mets back in the late 80's also....he was going to use all the money he would get in 2011 from selling his rookie cards to pay for big name free agents......
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he negotiated the deal with Oliver Perez a couple years ago

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>The Mets mercenary players suck and now this...I guess when it rains it pours.

The Mets are overall so bad, it might be difficult for me this upcoming season to get motivated enough for some Mets smack...but I'll try my best. image >>

Pretty sure the Mets were one of the teams griping the loudest when MLB loaned the Rangers money during their bankruptcy.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see a new owner take control of this team. The Madoff mess has already affected the operation of the club over the last couple of years, and the future doesn't look bright either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mets mercenary players suck and now this...I guess when it rains it pours.

The Mets are overall so bad, it might be difficult for me this upcoming season to get motivated enough for some Mets smack...but I'll try my best. image >>

Nobody kicks a dog better when they are down.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The Mets mercenary players suck and now this...I guess when it rains it pours.

The Mets are overall so bad, it might be difficult for me this upcoming season to get motivated enough for some Mets smack...but I'll try my best. >>

Eaglet fans well-versed in bitter suffering--after all, they booed and threw iceballs at Santa Claus, so I'd expect no less, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i><< The Mets mercenary players suck and now this...I guess when it rains it pours.

The Mets are overall so bad, it might be difficult for me this upcoming season to get motivated enough for some Mets smack...but I'll try my best. >>

Eaglet fans well-versed in bitter suffering--after all, they booed and threw iceballs at Santa Claus, so I'd expect no less, LOL.. >>

Yea, but at least we never hired Willie Randolph as a manager, arguably one of the the worst managers in MLB history...so there!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    You did let Francona go!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I keep forgetting to stop by here more often.

By the way, Francona stinks.

aconte
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell, even Dykstra would have steered clear of Bernie Madoff -- Dykstra was actually a "minor league Madoff".
  • Options

<< <i>

I keep forgetting to stop by here more often.

By the way, Francona stinks.

aconte >>

Who says insanity can't be fun? image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Mets suck, the Phillies and that BS mint suck more.

Good for you.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Gosh.....all this talk of Mets and Phillies just reminds me how sweet its going to be this year when the Braves have them both in their rear view mirror and go on to win the NL East.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.