Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Time is running out on Maryland Sales Tax Bill

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
So goes the subject line of the following email which I received from Whitman, who puts on the fantastic Balto. show. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Dear ,

The HB 206 - Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Precious Metal Bullion and Coins – Repeal was heard by the House Ways & Means Committe on Wednesday, February 23, 2011. The bill will now go to a sub-committee and will come back with a favorable or not favorable report. This sub-committee report could come back at any time.

Here is how you can help us get this legislation defeated:

We encourage your efforts to generate as many contacts as possible to the Legislative Membership of the House Ways & Means Committee expressing opposition to HB 206.

Legislative contacts can be made by either email or telephone or both, whichever is most convenient. Click here for a chart that contains all of the appropriate contact information, including the Legislators’ email addresses, as well as their legislative office phones. Please copy us on any email contacts you make: info@whitmanexpo.com.

Should you contact the Legislator by phone, expect to speak to a staff member only. Telephone calls should be brief and should contain a statement in opposition to HB 206. Emails should be brief, as well, and no longer than a paragraph in length. Identify yourself as a Maryland dealer, a dealer in general, a participating coin collector from Maryland, or a visiting participating coin collector from another state. Express opposition to HB 206 - Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Precious Metal Bullion and Coins – Repeal.

Several suggested talking points are as follows:

•The sales tax exemption has been critically important to the success of the three major shows conducted at the Convention Center in Baltimore each year over the past 20 years.
•The repeal of the sales tax exemption would result in significant loss of economic benefit to both Maryland and Baltimore, since the three shows would likely be moved to a friendlier state with no sales tax.
•Not only would Maryland lose the sales tax on sales under $1,000, but the City of Baltimore would also lose significant revenue from the loss of the hotel tax on thousands of hotel-room nights per year as well as the retail and restaurant spending in Baltimore generated by the show participants.
•Respectfully request that the Ways & Means Committee vote an Unfavorable Report on HB 206.

Here’s a sample email text that could be used:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon,

I’m writing to express my opposition to HB 206 – Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Precious Metal Bullion and Coins – Repeal.

Repealing this sales-tax exemption would be harmful for the city of Baltimore (host of several coin shows annually), the state of Maryland, and the businesspeople and citizens who currently enjoy going to Baltimore to buy, and sell collectible coins and bullion.

I respectfully request that you vote an Unfavorable Report on HB 206.

Sincerely,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We cannot stress enough the urgency of making these contacts now because a vote on HB 206 could be called at anytime. Please contact me should you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your help.
Best regards,

David Crenshaw
General Manager

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file