Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Japan coin market

After reading the post about the India proof sets I figured I better check on these as I have no idea other than the krause as to value. I found these in my desk too lol and stuck them in the drawer because I had to figure out the dates. I narrowed them down to late 1800s - early 1900s 50 sen silver pieces most seem xf-unc ( luster doesn't show well in the photos ) any input?

thanks Ken

6 pieces
If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I see:

1) Meiji 31 (1898)
    2) Meiji 31 (1898)
    3) Meiji 33 (1900)
    4)Meiji 37 (1904)
    5) Taisho 1 (1912)
    6) Meiji 39 (1906)
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to find those in a drawer.

Cathy

• Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    now for the 64 thousand dollar question... What is the current market value in relationship to the krause? over under pretty much on spot? Seems like every couple months they ought to print a top 10 list titled "What's Hot and what's Not"
    Numismatic knowledge is fun and aquired over time at your own pace but the market place is brutal and will leave you broke
    and bloody before you know what happened image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a recent Krause...I'm still on the 2006 version. I have a JNDA catalog however, and if you can list the coins by what you think the grades are approximately and get me a better shot on the reverse of the first 1898 I could perhaps give you a closer ballpark. The Japanese dealers tend to stick closer to their catalog (it's annual), and the tendency is to avoid toning. On the US side if it's slabbed it seems to do well, at least when I'm looking at something. I haven't been overly involved in coins of late however and my impressions may be off--and my JNDA is only 2010, which reminds me it's time to get a new one.

Cathy

• Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    Cathy
    Thanks for the help, I just ordered one of those catalogs from a Joel Anderson in CA... hopefully there is enough english for me to be able to use it
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I think the Japanese and Korean catalogs are fairly good indicators of what the coins will go for in Japan and Korea but not in the US. I have found, at least in coin purchases in Korea and the US, that prices can range wildly across the water.