Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post an eids of march coin,

I dont know how to post pictures,so if you can post one. This is the coolest coin ever made in my opinion, as it bears out one of the most significant moments in recorded history.
not an expert,just well informed.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one commemorating the assassination of Julius Caesar?

imageimage
  • Options
    Yes thats the one, I wish I could own it. Thanks. I like the way Brutus is taking credit for the assasination, and letting everyone know.
    not an expert,just well informed.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a gold one that's seen some scratching and holing, but O Me O My, wouldn't I give up a finger and a couple of toes to have that on my Holey Gold Hat!

Not my coin, obviously.

Image fetched from http://mt.wiglaf.org/aaronm/assets_c/2010/03/eid_mar-thumb-700x345-521.jpg- I could get the picture but the page wouldn't load.

The closest thing I have is this Julius Caesar portrait denarius struck just prior to the assassination, circa February to March of 44 BC. It's not the best example but by golly it's mine, and I'm proud to add such a piece to my collection considering my modest budget. I need not tell you that these don't come cheap and even in this lower grade, with a banker's mark or two, I barely came in below my typical $500/coin max budgetary ceiling.

I've got a recognizable portrait there, and most of Caesar's name. Those were the selling points as far as I was concerned. For the same amount or less, I could have had a much more attractive piece with the goddess on the obverse, or that interesting "elephant" type, but I wanted a lifetime portrait issue of Caesar and now I have it! And a coin struck within perhaps a month or so of those fateful Ides of March, too! The coin is off at NGC being slabbed right now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Is that big Z on the back of his neck OK?
    Becky
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be an ancient banker's mark, I reckon. I'm OK with it, I guess. It's damage, but interesting damage that's part of the coin's story.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)