Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What would Sherlock Holmes do? Or Watson for that matter?

First of all these photos aren't the best and I apologize. Just a couple of quick shots to get your opinions.

The reverse of this coin is absolutely gorgeous, natural toning from the case NO carbon spots or slide marks-much nicer than the picture.

The "rub" is actually just one carbon spot, on the obverse, just over the ear. The color isn't quite as nice as the reverse but there are no
ugly black marks, splotches or dull grays anywhere on either side of the coin.

I'm satisfied that, the reverse would grade PF 66 (PCGS doesn't know how to make a 7 where copper is concerned).

I'm also satisfied that the obverse would support that grade IF the carbon spot weren't there.

Otherwise I'll be lucky to get PF 65.

Question is obvious by now......Would you try to remove the carbon spot?

And if so, how do you think it would be best to do(try) it?

Serious question and thanks for any suggestions or comments.

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say no, you risk deteriorating a very pleasant bronze coin.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Thanks Dimitri. I know you're probably right but the temptation is abiding :+)

Incidentally, what does anyone think about THIS listing?

The coins have been lacquered-easily off with acetone or potentially bad news?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360345069102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it is even possible. I would leave it us is.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Try this . . . . .

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Right Mac. That too image.

I think I'm going to try it. Frankly it can't hurt too much since PCGS will never give the coin a gem
    grade with that one black spot on it anyway.

Maybe a gentle swab with mineral oil or olive oil on a cue tip followed by a hammer and chisel :+)
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Anything you try will probably make the coin look worse. Be sure to post after photos.image
    Becky
  • Options
    At least it's not in the fields where any change would be immediately visible. What about sending it ATS to their conservation service? Would they be able to deal with something like this?

If it were mine, I'd probably feel the same as you, and want to do something about it.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, the spot looks like it's deeper than simply on the surface. It's like those acne black spots that often go an inch down. image Trying to remove it without success, will deteriorate an otherwise very nice coin, gem or not by PCGS.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would Sherlock Holmes do? Or Watson for that matter? >>

Being the nineteenth century gentlemen they were, and Watson being a doctor with access to all sorts of chemical compounds, my guess is that they'd choose something particularly nasty to "doctor" the coin with- like cyanide, or some such.

Hey, truth is stranger than fiction.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.