Home Sports Talk
Options

Should the Pittsburgh Pirates change their name?

With the recent news coming out about the 4 americans being killed by pirates and all of the other recent attacks by pirates, should the pittsburgh pirates change their name? i'm sure there are people out there who may find the name offensive, especially the families of the victims. we've seen a team change their name before when the washington bullets changed their name to the wizards due to washington being riddled with shooting related crimes.

Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    It really is too bad that 4 people died and I hope their family is doing the best they can but what were they doing sailing off the coast of Somalia??? Sometimes natural selection has to kick in and weed out some of us. I really feel for their families but that was not the smartest place to be.

If Pittsburgh has to change their name does Disney have to change the name of their ride and movies; Pirates of the Carribean? The only reason to be offended by the Pirates is their poor record these past many years.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    If so, then the Mariners should change their name out of respect for anyone who has died at sea; the Astros need to honor the Challenger victims by changing their name; the Dodgers are clearly disrespecting anyone who has been hit by a car; the Rays owe it to Steve Irwin's family to change their name etc.

To answer your question, no.
    Travis
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>If so, then the Mariners should change their name out of respect for anyone who has died at sea; the Astros need to honor the Challenger victims by changing their name; the Dodgers are clearly disrespecting anyone who has been hit by a car; the Rays owe it to Steve Irwin's family to change their name etc.

To answer your question, no. >>

You joke, but I guarantee there are probably activist groups lobbying for every one of those changes you mentioned.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone that would ponder that thought for more than a nano-second is foolish.

Beyond sad that these four people were murdered, horrible event.

My solution to the AS*H%)@S from Somalia...simple...you clowns get 12 miles off shore, after that we toast you. Any questions? And we don't give a rat's ass who's onboard, 12 miles and one inch...BOOM.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If so, then the Mariners should change their name out of respect for anyone who has died at sea; the Astros need to honor the Challenger victims by changing their name; the Dodgers are clearly disrespecting anyone who has been hit by a car; the Rays owe it to Steve Irwin's family to change their name etc.

Don't forget about the Braves, Chiefs, Indians, and Redskins (and all corresponding nicknames) for the Native Americans.

Going forward, in order not to potentially offend anyone and be politically correct, all teams should be addressed as "The (insert sport) team that resides in (insert city)".

ex: The baseball team that resides in Houston played the baseball team that resides in Saint Louis today...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    And for those who don't know what my avatar means -> click me
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what were they doing sailing off the coast of Somalia??? >>

Selling Jesus...
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

All southerners should feel disrespected by the name "Yankees" (although most people hate that name anyways) and people who have irritable bowel syndrome should be upset about the name "Browns".
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't forget about the Braves, Chiefs, Indians, and Redskins (and all corresponding nicknames) for the Native Americans.

Going forward, in order not to potentially offend anyone and be politically correct, all teams should be addressed as "The (insert sport) team that resides in (insert city)".

ex: The baseball team that resides in Houston played the baseball team that resides in Saint Louis today... >>

that would be grossly unfair to people who live in suburbs. Teams should just be given random numbers between 3.05 and 4.98 and identified by such numbers. I'm going to need a counselor next time I watch sports that mention team names. The horror, the horror...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't prides of lions sometimes kill and eat villagers?

I don't plan on petitioning Penn State to change their name. Yes, I say that tongue in cheek because of course lions are animals hunting for food to survive in nature...versus human murderers - a big difference.

I don't know the history of why Pittsburgh chose that name...perhaps it was because some old time books which glamourized piracy, gave the franchise the notion, and then later on Hollywood movies in those old time black and white films kept the image going. Well, the facts are that piracy never was glamorous and for sure this recent event illustrated just how ugly and brutal is piracy, and that it needs to be stopped now...so perhaps the team might just do that and think about changing their name?
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't prides of lions sometimes kill and eat villagers?

I don't plan on petitioning Penn State to change their name. Yes, I say that tongue in cheek because of course lions are animals hunting for food to survive in nature...versus human murderers - a big difference.

I don't know the history of why Pittsburgh chose that name...perhaps it was because some old time books which glamourized piracy, gave the franchise the notion, and then later on Hollywood movies in those old time black and white films kept the image going. Well, the facts are that piracy never was glamorous and for sure this recent event illustrated just how ugly and brutal is piracy, and that it needs to be stopped now...so perhaps the team might just do that and think about changing their name? >>

I'm guessing it was chosen to be alliterative when used with the city name, plus lots of teams around the turn of the century chose "scary" names - Lions, Tigers, Bears (oh my!), Pirates, Braves, etc.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the recent news coming out about the 4 americans being killed by pirates and all of the other recent attacks by pirates, should the pittsburgh pirates change their name? i'm sure there are people out there who may find the name offensive, especially the families of the victims. we've seen a team change their name before when the washington bullets changed their name to the wizards due to washington being riddled with shooting related crimes. >>

Surely you can't be serious.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    With all of the people that are killed by hurricanes each year, should the Carolina Hurricanes and the University of Miami (FL) Hurricanes change their name as well?

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I find the San Francisco Giants offensive, even though I'm 6'2". Having said that, I really feel bad for "little people" - the team's name should definitely be changed so as not to offend them.

However, I'm just fine with the New York football Giants.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some people just look for something to be offended by.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>I think some people just look for something to be offended by. >>

Shhhhhhh!!! If word of this leaks out, the protest movement in America will collapse!!! Who will buy all the signs??
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely Not!!!!

Bears,Tigers,Lions,Hurricanes,Lightning,Yankees of the Civil War,Raiders.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>what were they doing sailing off the coast of Somalia??? >>

Selling Jesus... >>

lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Didn't prides of lions sometimes kill and eat villagers?

I don't know the history of why Pittsburgh chose that name...perhaps it was because some old time books which glamourized piracy, gave the franchise the notion, and then later on Hollywood movies in those old time black and white films kept the image going. Well, the facts are that piracy never was glamorous and for sure this recent event illustrated just how ugly and brutal is piracy, and that it needs to be stopped now...so perhaps the team might just do that and think about changing their name? >>

I'm guessing it was chosen to be alliterative when used with the city name, plus lots of teams around the turn of the century chose "scary" names - Lions, Tigers, Bears (oh my!), Pirates, Braves, etc. >>

You're probably right.

Taking your comment into account, in my opinion, the Philadelphia Phillies have the best baseball name of all. image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Shocker
  • Options

<< <i>My solution to the AS*H%)@S from Somalia...simple...you clowns get 12 miles off shore, after that we toast you. Any questions? And we don't give a rat's ass who's onboard, 12 miles and one inch...BOOM. >>

I agree, and you know who else agrees? The Russians. Remember how they handled their Somali pirate issue just less than a year ago? We could learn a thing or two from this. :-)
  • Options
    These pirates remind me of bedbugs...they strike, suck blood (money), hide, and then strike again and again. I think we should do to these pirates what anyone would normally do if they encounter a bedbug.
  • Options
    The team formerly known as the Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • Options
    This thread offends me and I'm seriously considering legal action.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know the history of why Pittsburgh chose that name...perhaps it was because some old time books which glamourized piracy, gave the franchise the notion, and then later on Hollywood movies in those old time black and white films kept the image going. Well, the facts are that piracy never was glamorous and for sure this recent event illustrated just how ugly and brutal is piracy, and that it needs to be stopped now...so perhaps the team might just do that and think about changing their name? >>

From Wikipedia:

"The new owners also signed several players from American Association teams. One of them was highly regarded second baseman Lou Bierbauer, who had previously played with the A.A.'s Philadelphia Athletics. The Athletics failed to include him on their reserve list, and the Alleghenys picked him up. This led to loud protests by the Athletics, and in an official complaint, an AA official claimed the Alleghenys' actions were "piratical".[6] This incident (which is discussed at some length in The Beer and Whisky League, by David Nemec, 1994) quickly accelerated into a schism between the leagues that contributed to the demise of the A.A. Although the Alleghenys were never found guilty of wrongdoing, they made sport of being denounced for being "piratical" by renaming themselves "the Pirates" for the 1891 season.[3] The nickname was first acknowledged on the team's uniforms in 1912."

Steve

• Options
    I wonder how many of these Somalian pirates we have already picked off?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know the history of why Pittsburgh chose that name...perhaps it was because some old time books which glamourized piracy, gave the franchise the notion, and then later on Hollywood movies in those old time black and white films kept the image going. Well, the facts are that piracy never was glamorous and for sure this recent event illustrated just how ugly and brutal is piracy, and that it needs to be stopped now...so perhaps the team might just do that and think about changing their name? >>

From Wikipedia:

"The new owners also signed several players from American Association teams. One of them was highly regarded second baseman Lou Bierbauer, who had previously played with the A.A.'s Philadelphia Athletics. The Athletics failed to include him on their reserve list, and the Alleghenys picked him up. This led to loud protests by the Athletics, and in an official complaint, an AA official claimed the Alleghenys' actions were "piratical".[6] This incident (which is discussed at some length in The Beer and Whisky League, by David Nemec, 1994) quickly accelerated into a schism between the leagues that contributed to the demise of the A.A. Although the Alleghenys were never found guilty of wrongdoing, they made sport of being denounced for being "piratical" by renaming themselves "the Pirates" for the 1891 season.[3] The nickname was first acknowledged on the team's uniforms in 1912."

Steve >>

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

• Options
    Wonder if anyone ever shouts "Kill the umpire" any longer? LOL
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the Pirates play the last 20 years? There's nothing to be concerned about. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder if anyone ever shouts "Kill the umpire" any longer? LOL >>

Apparently , only union thugs are able to say it and no one is allowed to get upset.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>Have you seen the Pirates play the last 20 years? There's nothing to be concerned about. image >>

I forgot they still had a team.