Home Precious Metals
Options

question on silver content of quarters then and now

does a pre 1965 quarter and a statehood silver proof quarter contain equal amounts of silver? it may seem like a dumb question to some. i know the value and content of pre 65`s but not sure on the modern silver proofs. thanks. image
my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they are the same.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    except that the pre 65 stuff has been skinnied from half a century in jeans,whereas the new stuff is chunky and practically oozes silver out the sidesimage
  • Options
    good to know. thanks guys. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There could be a big problem with 1992-2011 50c, 25c and 10c proof silver coins in the future.
    1992 thru 2011 silver 50c,25c and 10c series of proof coins have the "same date" cupronickel counterparts. At some point the cupronickel coins could be silver plated and sold as real 90% silver coins. This is a nonissue with pre 1965 silver coins as they have no cupronickel counterparts of the same date.
  • Options

<< <i>There could be a big problem with 1992-2011 50c, 25c and 10c proof silver coins in the future.
    1992 thru 2011 silver 50c,25c and 10c series of proof coins have the "same date" cupronickel counterparts. At some point the cupronickel coins could be silver plated and sold as real 90% silver coins. This is a nonissue with pre 1965 silver coins as they have no cupronickel counterparts of the same date. >>

Bring out the jeweler's scale...
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Leave them in their plastic US mint capsules.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>except that the pre 65 stuff has been skinnied from half a century in jeans,whereas the new stuff is chunky and practically oozes silver out the sidesimage >>

I have bought some of these rolls from chumley and they are very cool to have. Imagine, gem proof 90% silver rolls at melt. LOL

As a coin lover, they are very cool. Also loved the SLQ rolls.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There could be a big problem with 1992-2011 50c, 25c and 10c proof silver coins in the future.
    1992 thru 2011 silver 50c,25c and 10c series of proof coins have the "same date" cupronickel counterparts. At some point the cupronickel coins could be silver plated and sold as real 90% silver coins. This is a nonissue with pre 1965 silver coins as they have no cupronickel counterparts of the same date. >>

Try silver plating a proof coin and you will find you no longer have a proof coin, so this scenario is not an issue.

The real problem is people carefully breaking open the holders of silver proof sets and substituting the cupronickel counterparts. The best way to tell if this was done is to view the coins through a piece of tissue paper; the silver coins appear much whiter than the clad.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson