Home PSA Set Registry Forum

analyzing my cards for potential half-grade bumps

What is the best method to check graded cards for possible submission for a half-grade or higher bump? I have a PSA 8.5 and thought about getting a small metal ruler, measuring the 8.5 card and checking this measurement against cards I think may bump. Is this the best way, or is there a better way to give myself a fair shot at an upgrade?

Thanks,
Al

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the whole bump thing is pretty much a farce. I say don't waste your money.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Economics of re-submitting aside, I use dial calipers to measure centering coupled with a strong lamp. I think it is much easier to get an accurate reading that way. Of course, it is impossible to measure the grumpiness of the grader on any particular day... image Good luck!
    Les Aiello
    AAA
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Les,

I am not a huge fan of the half-point change that PSA went to some years ago. However, those are the rules and I am compelled to play within their sand box, like it or not. My cards are vintage, and from what I've seen, a half-point bump on some of these things can make a huge difference in the monetary value of one of these cards should I decide to sell. Of course the requirement is that for an 8 to bump to an 8.5, requires the card to have 9 centering...the rest is subjecitvity, or as you elude, the mood of the grader on that given day. My dilema is the number of cards to send in and the very low expectation when they pop from the graders. I'll give the caliper thing a ponder, I do have an 8.5 in my collection, so I have a bit of a guide to go by...we'll see how this turns out.

Al
  • Great topic.

IMO, its very difficult to receive a bump. First off, you have to se if it is worth bumbing from an econoic standpoint, if you are going to sell the card (s). Bumping a readily available card is probably not worth it. Bumbing most low pops are not worth it either. I would suggest (and I do not have shares in the company), joining VCP and seeing the price difference between say an 8 and an 8.5 of the particular card. Only then, and if you are really really sure it MAY bump (because its subjective) should it be sent in. I personally have another person with knowledge look at the card(s) before submitting them.

IOM, the original premise for the bump option is revenue for PSA, lets not forget that.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    I will add that I've found PSA to be INCREDIBLY harsh on surface flaws, even ones that aren't even there image, when it comes to reviews.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Right...

By the way, these are the kind of discusions that should be on this forum (and others). Not what kind of beer do you drink, who is the most influential landscaper in Westchester county, can someone give me a VCP price, and other 'washerwoman" topics that have been posted.
    celester...

The cards I'm considering are all 1955 Topps PSA 8s(NQ). The bump could well bring a nice premium. I have also had a VCP account for several years, and am also a bit tweaked when I see a post asking for "VCP help...". I PAY a bit over $179 per year, others who seek this info should do the same or use SMR. No question that the half-point was a money maker for PSA. I am also aware that the potential for a bump is pathetically low, but I thought I'd review some of my more worthy candidates.

BTW, my 1955 Topps set is on eBay for sale if you care to take a gander. The set is about 16 cards short of a straight PSA 8 set. I posted this before, but in case you may not have seen it, a pic of my set is attached. No brag intended, just enjoy the view. Sorry for the flash.

Al

• WOW.. Your a better person than I to display all those cards. Most "neurotic" card collecters, and most are, would be afraid to show them.

So far a "cheapos" go, you are right the world and these forums are infested with them.

Great stuff..............
  • Nice set and gorgeous display. The key to this post that somebody mentioned before....you have to know what you are looking at to even have a remote chance. And then have someone else WHO KNOWS what they are looking at ....to look at it. And then consider cracking it and sub it raw. If you need calipers and protractors and micrometers and 3D glasses then just leave your cards on your wall. Another option is if you feel that you have a very high end 8....put a higher price tag on it and let someone else gamble on cracking or bumping. Nice spam by the way. Good luck with your bumps or sales.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Al, that's a fantastic looking wall of '55's.

On grading, some people can pick out subtleties with cards and
    others cannot. It does take a skill. Also it's a roll of the dice in many instances.

As celesterussell said, I would take a look at which cards might be worth bumping. Get out a 10x loupe and really look them over closely. Send in the best candidates and cross your fingers. If you hit on 20% or higher getting bumps, I would think it
    would justify itself with the costs associated.

Good luck with your set completion or sale of them.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    First, I totally agree w/ the above comments RE: cheap --s moochers constantly begging for VCP help on this forum. For Chrissakes, stop already! Buy the damn program!! FWIW RE: the .5 bump - after carefully screening my vintage candidates for same, I ended up blowing my entire voucher on this nonsense and only had one get advanced. It's a $ making scam for the TPG!
    Thanks all for the comments on the set pic...the 55 Topps set, which consists of just 206 cards, when displayed as you see in the pic, really jumps out at you. I added the 4 "missing" cards (Ford, Musial, Score and Feller) to fill it in nicely. I got very lucky on the math when figuring the display case out, 15 cards across times 14 rows = 210. Lucky!!

As for the half-point, I'm leaning towards not doing it. Just begins to really feel like an exercise in futility. I have some cards that look spot on, but with the "mood" of the grader that has to be part of the equation, which is basically subjectivity, I may be pouring money down the drain. Money may be better spent upgrading some of my 7s to 8s to enhance the set overall.

Thanks again.

Al

• << <i>Unfortunately the whole bump thing is pretty much a farce. I say don't waste your money. >>

Save it.

The 1/2 pt bump is highly dependent on the quality you submit. Sure if you submit several that are just unworthy "it is a farce". However, if you submit several that are of quality and leaning towards the next grade, particularly with pre 1/2 pt. certs, your pct.'s are certainly reasonable enough to make it worthwhile dollars and cents wise. My review rates have been solid, including plenty of 9's that even went to 10's, let alone a 1/2 pt. bump on 8's and below.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Hi Al!

I grabbed my 55 set before I sold it off and went through and saw which cards had remarkable centering, then I weeded it down from there. Also I was just going from 7 to 7.5 but I felt there was one or two 8's that economically or visually stood a chance. I bumped 2/6 and they were Groat (super tough) and Grim (economically very nice)

hope that helps

Ted