Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Which Topps Base Sets don't get the "love" they deserve?

Seeing the dislike of the '73 Topps set in another thread here made me wonder which sets you guys think don't get the love they deserve, either for poor quality/pics and/or lack of rookies or star power.

Would like to get a discussion going about it.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    and in that same thought...maybe the most overrated set? Cool topic...
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    55 Bowman
  • Options
    '66 Topps baseball
  • Options
    1977 Topps Mexican Football !!!

They're unknown, they're ugly with the perforated tabs, gum stains, print defects etc... But I love them!!!
    Collecting 1977 Topps Mexican Football
  • Options
    I think '70 Topps baseball is a fantastic set, and I am having a blast putting it together. I very rarely hear anyone mentioning '70 Topps among their favorite sets, however.

So I guess that's my pick!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    I was thinking '70 Topps baseball as I opened the thread and there was Walter's post. Agreed. Still very affordable for the most part given its age.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    '72 Topps hockey. The Orr in PSA 10 only sells for $150 or so, which gives you an idea about how indifferent most people are to this set.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Supply
    All Topps "Base" sets are overerrated..

They are all extremely common, no such thing as a rare (ie hard to find) Topps card.
    So in that sense they are all overrated, But Topps to many (newbies) are the only baseball cards they know of, so Demand will always be there for many.

But if I had to choose, Id say 1956 is undervalued compared to similar year/style cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I think '70 Topps baseball is a fantastic set, and I am having a blast putting it together. I very rarely hear anyone mentioning '70 Topps among their favorite sets, however.

So I guess that's my pick! >>

I couldn't have said it better myself. See the link below.image
  • Options

<< <i>I was thinking '70 Topps baseball as I opened the thread and there was Walter's post. Agreed. Still very affordable for the most part given its age. >>

Thank you again for your purchases from the link below.
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike. I have bought some very nice '70 Topps Baseball from Mike's liquidation sale and there are still many left at very reasonable prices. Hope I have not sent the thread off in a different direction. I agree with Boopotts on '72 Topps Hockey which I also collect. These have been very reasonably priced lately with lots of availability. Also agree with fkw on the '56 Topps. Still very reasonably priced. - Kevin
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I think '70 Topps baseball is a fantastic set, and I am having a blast putting it together. I very rarely hear anyone mentioning '70 Topps among their favorite sets, however.

So I guess that's my pick! >>

Mine too. It's the first year I really spent allowance regularly on cards as a kid, so it's my first priority for a graded set.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody seems to like 1990! imageimage
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    1967 doesn't seem to get any love.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    1970 for sure. The backs are clean, easy to read. The photos are not minimized by overbearing boarders and are sharper when compared to other years. Also, the semi highs and highs have stars in them.
    FYI, dont kid yourself, due to this sometimes being know "as the off center year" many cards are tough in high grade.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I personally liked the two word grained sets Topps produced. I know they are the set the you either loved because of the wood grain or hate but I personally liked both of them. Someone also mentioned the 90's and I think that the 1992 design was nice and yes I don't think any of the 90's get love....\al.
  • Options
    I'm partial to the 1989 Topps set myself... trademark white borders, squeaky clean yet colorful design, great subsets with Future Stars, All Star Rookies, #1 Draft Picks, Turn Back The Clocks, All Stars, with Randy Johnson, Roberto Alomar, John Smoltz, Craig Biggio, Tom Glavine, Mark Grace & David Wells first issues in a base set. The design itself was the most "throwback" of the mass produced set era of the late 80's and early 90's. Once they got away from traditional cardboard stock in 1992 and no more stale gum (and stains) I think they became too commercial. It was the set I collected several times over at the age of 11, which most will agree is the time the baseball card bug bites. There are only a few seriously putting the set together on the registry right now and only myself and one other collector with more than 15 or 20% I'll always love the 89 Topps Set and hoping as graded cards gain popularity, the post Generation X-ers will become a little nostalgic and love will be rekindled. And if PSA ever wants help with a write up on this awesome set (yeah, right) I'm your man!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    1954 Bowman
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>I'm partial to the 1989 Topps set myself... trademark white borders, squeaky clean yet colorful design, great subsets with Future Stars, All Star Rookies, #1 Draft Picks, Turn Back The Clocks, All Stars, with Randy Johnson, Roberto Alomar, John Smoltz, Craig Biggio, Tom Glavine, Mark Grace & David Wells first issues in a base set. The design itself was the most "throwback" of the mass produced set era of the late 80's and early 90's. Once they got away from traditional cardboard stock in 1992 and no more stale gum (and stains) I think they became too commercial. It was the set I collected several times over at the age of 11, which most will agree is the time the baseball card bug bites. There are only a few seriously putting the set together on the registry right now and only myself and one other collector with more than 15 or 20% I'll always love the 89 Topps Set and hoping as graded cards gain popularity, the post Generation X-ers will become a little nostalgic and love will be rekindled. And if PSA ever wants help with a write up on this awesome set (yeah, right) I'm your man! >>

Absolutely agree with you. i need to add more '89s to my collection.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    1964 topps; really enjoy the clean design, doesnt seem to get the love.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>which sets you guys think don't get the love they deserve, either for poor quality/pics and/or lack of rookies or star power. >>

If a set is plagued with issues like low quality, bad pics, and/or no rookie crop, why would it "deserve" any love at all?

I think it's ironic that one of the most hidious looking sets (1975 Topps baseball) is one that is heavly collected.

<< <i>I'll always love the 89 Topps Set and hoping as graded cards gain popularity, the post Generation X-ers will become a little nostalgic and love will be rekindled. >>

The registry is a powerful drug. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Interesting thread...
    I have been slowly working through all the 1970s sets. I can say that the one set that seems to be under-rated is the 1977 (the stock was basically toilet paper, and there are many lower pop 9s, however, it has very few glamor rookies if any) the one set that seems to be totally ignored is the 1979 (My guess is that there is a lot of supply just sitting around with no real PSA buyers).
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the '60s Topps sets are very clean looking. Simple designs but sharp looking photos for the most part, clean backs and reasonable in size. '62s were interesting but the quality control is just kind of lacking there. Overall, I especially like the '65, '67, 68 sets. Some iconic rookie cards in the last two.