Home Sports Talk
Options

One Good Season = $65 Million

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
congrats to Jose Bautista. I hope this move by the Blue Jays works out for them.

I don't think larger-market teams would have done the same kind of thing for someone who was arbitration-eligible AND already 30 years old

Comments

• Options
    I believe the Jays are assuming the majority of the risk here and if I were Batista, I'd have signed that offer in a split second!! The Jays don't exactly have a good track record with huge contracts..................see Alex Rios..................see Vernon Wells.....................The Jays would have been better off putting that money into Roy Halladay - if they still had him.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Any enhancers there?
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the Jays are assuming the majority of the risk here and if I were Batista, I'd have signed that offer in a split second!! The Jays don't exactly have a good track record with huge contracts..................see Alex Rios..................see Vernon Wells.....................The Jays would have been better off putting that money into Roy Halladay - if they still had him. >>

Is there a team out there that is better than the Jays at getting out of bad contracts?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    FWIW-it was one GREAT season.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

He may have signed low but he will never go hungry. How much money does anyone need?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He may have signed low but he will never go hungry. How much money does anyone need? >>

we should ask Albert!
  • Options

<< <i>we should ask Albert! >>

Belle or Pujols?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe the Jays are assuming the majority of the risk here and if I were Batista, I'd have signed that offer in a split second!! The Jays don't exactly have a good track record with huge contracts..................see Alex Rios..................see Vernon Wells.....................The Jays would have been better off putting that money into Roy Halladay - if they still had him. >>

Is there a team out there that is better than the Jays at getting out of bad contracts? >>

Not so fast. Jury still out on Wells and Rios has 3 / 4 more years at 12mil per. he's in his prime and had 34 SB's, hit 284, 90RBI and 21 HR's in his first full year in Chicago and he's an above average outfielder.....I think Chicago is happy if he can continue to put up these numbers....
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Bautista didn't want to go another season on the juice, so he took the deal...good for him...now that he's set for life, he can go back to being the journeyman he is, or at least until this contract is up, and then he can juice up to play for his next one.

BTW - on a similar note, is the Rangers signing of Beltre the WORST move of the off-season?...hmmm, let's piss off our most popular player to pay huge money for a guy that only tries hard in his contract year...BRILLIANT!