Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Hello! New Member Going After My First PSA 10 Set!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the graded card and set world. I'm a former Andre Dawson Collector who has realized that I need a hobby! I've always loved '87 Topps, so I've decided to work on a PSA 10 Set. I have 3 in hand and 10 incoming so far. This should be a fun long term project. I don't know if its the wood grain border or the fact that '87 Topps are the first packs I can ever remember opening when I was kid. I guess about 9 or so. Maybe a little of both...

I look forward to reading the boards and learning more about the grading world! Any tips or advice (other than find a new set to work on!) is appreciated!

Thanks
Craig

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Cool! I love the Hawk! Good luck with the 87 set...don't get any splinters! image
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Hallco - Thank you! I'll be careful! Nice Avatar by the way! I'll have to work on an '87 Topps Dawson for mine!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Welcome to the Jungle! I look forward to seeing you around on the boards.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Dialj - Thank you very much!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    A thought, from someone who attempted the very same thing:

the Tiffany cards are much, much easier to grade as PSA 10s. The regular issue is very, very tough.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    good luck and welcome to the boards.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    theczar - Thanks! When you say it like that "792 monster" it sounds kind of scary!

SOM - I appreciate the heads up. I will have to stick with the regular though. I guess it will make for a tougher challenge! If you don't mind me asking, how far along did you get? Is the PSA POP Report updated well in your opinion?

Shane - Thank you!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Craig:

Congrats on catching the grading bug -- and it sounds like you have a meaningful set which you will pursue. Very cool!

Having been around here a decade or so, I'd ask to know what is it, specifically, that attracts you to this set? Do you really plan to have 792 graded cards, for which the grading fee alone is thousands of dollars [and weighs a whole lot more than you may think!]. Would you consider any alternative, such as only getting graded star cards, key rookies and/or Hall of Famers?

A sixteen set case costs about $330-. Or, for the $4,000 in grading fees for an entire set, you could own two hundred untouched raw sets. You could build a fantastic raw set with some key graded cards. I sense pursuing the entire set graded may lead to disillusionment or frustration down the road.

Enjoy collecting, no matter what you choose.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Good luck with this monster set. As I have found out the last 4 years of building a high grade set the cost will be double what you think and will be worth half if you decide to sell it. I started my hockey set for similar reasons that you have stated for starting this set and I never plan on selling it because of all the enjoyment that I've gotten out of building it. Good luck and welcome!

Mike
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the boards, Craig...

Marc, brings up a very good point. Make sure this is what you want to do. Grading fees alone and chasing low pop commons and paying a big premium for them may make the journey frustrating.

Anyways, whatever you decide to do the most important thing is to have fun with it.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mikeschmidt - Thank you! What attracts me to this set? This is where my collecting fever began. 1987. Over the years I always found the '87 Topps wood grain borders awesome. I've heard numerous collectors over the years talk about how they hated the set for the exact same reasons I enjoy it. You'll laugh if I tell you what I remember most about the cards. Reading the backs. I used to know 90% of the backs by heart. I can still hear my mom saying "if you studied your school books like you do the back of those cards you'd get all A's". Man, I knew all of the stats, card numbers for each player etc...

I doubt I'll be getting any of the cards graded myself. I don't have the eye for it. I guess building a raw set seems to easy. I don't mind the challenge at all though. I knew going into this it would be a LONG term project for me. We are trying to get the house paid off in the next couple years, so I'll be doing it on a tight budget. I knew that going in, so I don't see frustration getting to me.

I appreciate the post my man. You bring up some really good points. If I hadn't already put alot of thought into the decision to do the set, your post would have made me stop and do so.

Brick - Hello! I'm fine and yourself?

mike22y2k - Thanks! I understand exactly what you mean. I've never collected for anything more than my love for baseball. Something about these small pieces of cardboard can make you a kid all over again.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options

<< <i>image to the boards, Craig...

Marc, brings up a very good point. Make sure this is what you want to do. Grading fees alone and chasing low pop commons and paying a big premium for them may make the journey frustrating.

Anyways, whatever you decide to do the most important thing is to have fun with it.

Good luck...Donato >>

Donato - Thanks! Oh ya, collecting has always been about fun for me. I know when thats gone, I need to be as well.
  • Options
    Craig, welcome to the boards!

who do you have so far? and incoming?

i look forward to seeing your progress and scans.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    i also recommend for pure enjoyment that you pick up a vending case to rip
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig,

Welcome to the boards.

I've put together 3 complete 1955 Topps sets, two in PSA 7 and one almost a straight PSA 8, which is now the 15th finest in the Registry...and there were only 206 cards in each set. I cannot fathom a challenge like you've set up for yourself. Getting those last few cards is really exciting.

However, I come with very good news for you...go to eBay and look up item # 230 575 992 090. That's a factory sealed 1987 Topps case containing 12,000 cards. The price is cheap at $79 and $41 to ship. Two are available, at that price you can't go wrong. Imagine the thrill as you submit your cards and the majority actually come back as PSA 10s. If you're really feeling your moxie, pop for both cases...having 24,000 cards at your disposal to reach your goal should make things a lot easier. So, for less than $160, plus shipping, you'll be ripping for a long, long time and well on your way to success.

CARPE DIEM

GL,
    Al

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Craig,

WELCOME! There is a lot of good advice above. Whatever you choose to do, ENJOY IT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPages - I picked up Bonds for $16 delivered, McGwire for $15 delivered and a buddy sent me a Will Clark for free. Those 3 are in hand. I have 10 incoming. The Gwynn AS was $8 delivered. I also picked up a lot of 9 commons for $50.

It would be fun to bust another vending case. I busted one about 8 years ago I guess. I should have kept my sorting trays!

MCMLVTopps - WOW! The '87 might have more cards, but 1955? That speaks for itself! WOW! Congrats! It would be fun to rip a vending case or 2. I just don't know if I trust my eye enough to determine the difference in a 9 and a 10.

Dboneesq - Thank you! I agree, plenty of good advice!

Thanks all!
    Craig
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    Hi Craig, best of luck on this mammoth set! A good way to put a dent in this set would be to look for a large PSA graded lot (50 or more cards) on ebay. However, I'm not sure how many (if any) such lots exist for 1987. Other years, such as 71, 72, and 73, and 75 are easier to find in groups of 50 or more.
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    waxman2745 - Thanks! I hope to come across a few of those during this project!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    Craig- As someone who has built (89 Score football 330 card set) and is currently building (93SP- 2009 SP Authentic football) sets in PSA 10, you have to REALLY love the set to want to undertake this endeavor. For your 87 Topps set, 792 cards @ $5 per card to grade = $3960 in grading fees IF they all come back s 10's. Yes, you can pick up the product cheaply, but if you don't have a graders eye you will waste money and time trying to build this set.

Here is how I would go about doing this if I were in your shoes. Contact some of the big, bulk submitters (PSA Set Guy, 4_Sharp_ Corners etc.). See if they have anything in their current inventory. After that you have 2 options to present. #1 You can ask them to submit the cards and establish a set price you would pay for the 10's. #2 Buy the product your self, sort out the cards you think are 10 worthy, and than work with one of the dealers to pre-screen and submit the cards for you at a price to insure you get a high percentage of 10's.

Just remember, this is a labor of love, not an investment.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Fabfrank - Great tips! I appreciate the post! I doubt I would have though of something like that to be honest...

Thanks again!
    Craig
  • Options
    I entered my first 13 card into the Registry. I have to say, the Registry is pretty cool!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    I entered my first 13 card into the Registry. I have to say, the Registry is pretty cool!

And the addiction beginsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion