Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Bulk Submissions Safe For High-Grade Coins?

Hi there everybody - long time reader, first time poster.

I am looking for opinions on a potential bulk submission I am going to send to PCGS. It will be comprised of Jefferson war nickels, mercury dimes, and buffalo nickels - most will likely average a grade of MS-66. My main concern is causing small nicks or anything of that nature that may be the result of putting the coins into tubes, or from graders taking the coins out of the tubes. Many are great ms67 candidates, which would double or triple the value of the coins, so any slight mark could have a large impact on the grade. Is it smarter to send the best specimens to be graded separately so they can remain in flips? I worrying too much, or is this a legitimate concern? Just curious on other peoples experiences...

Thank you, Mike.

Comments

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    How many coins LAcoinguy? Its way safer to put them in flips if only a couple of rolls of each---------BigE

Welcome BTW!!
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I'm only submitting the minimum 100 coins - roughly 3 rolls of 30 each. Then I'm going to round out the submission with a few nice examples of halves from 2 separate dates.

So you think it's wiser to just send the very best in flips?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry so much about the graders, but if the coins can move, you may introduce friction/nicks/etc.
    If you put them in flips, then rubberband them together in groups, then wrap those with something, then place in box.....rinse and repeat until all done....then stuff the box so there isn't movement, I think you would be better off.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Bulk Submissions

PCGS Bulk Submission Agreement Form

Specifically:

100 coin minimum
    No more than four different date or mint mark combinations
    Estimated 30-day turnaround.

I don't know if you can submit different coin "types" (i.e. mixing buffalo nickels, war nickels, dimes, and half dollars) and since bulk does require coins to be shipped in tubes, you might want to reconsider since there is also a $300 maximum value per coin allowed. Flips are not allowed on bulk submissions and would be returned to the submitter along with a $75 charge. (See links)

NOTE: Since you are a first time poster, is it safe to assume that you are NOT an Authorized PCGS Coin Dealer?

If you are not, then you'll have to join the PCGS Collectors Club and sign the above Bulk Submission Agreement before submitting a bulk submission.
    As a side note, if you are technically inexperienced in determining actual coin grades, and you are NOT a PCGS Authorized Dealer, you might want to consider some basic 10 or 20 coin submissions before considering a 100 coin bulk submission as sometimes the learning curve is faily steep (and expensive)!

As for tubes, I imagine that if you are really concerned, you could devise a separator between each coin as the requirements are that they be in tubes, just not "how many tubes". For example, 20 coins per tube intended for 40 coins but I really think its neither here nor there since they are supposed to be professionals who know how to handle coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    .......I never was comfortable with the idea of sending super high end or proof coins in rolls (tubes) for bulk grading - the possibility of additional surface contact marks is just too great
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the good thing about bulk submissions is setting a minimum grade

how good a grader are you?
    are you planning on selling the results?
    the reason I ask is MS65 war nickels are not worth very much (unless FS, and then only 45-S, 45-P, 44-S, 42-S)

apparently coins have been graded very high with bulk submissions, as you can do a cert number check and see what coins were around the coin
    in the submission

I am not a fan about the cost being dependent on the grade

unless you have submitted before, I would recommend just sending in a few under economy and see if you can grade PCGS standards
  • Options
    I wonder-- are bulk graded coins eligible for plus grades?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I have submitted to PCGS about 4 times previously, the last submission containing a few 'tester' coins from my planned bulk submission. The tester coins all came back MS66, and they were middle of the road in terms of quality of the rolls. The big appeal of the bulk submission is that I can designate FS and FB. About half of the coins are 100% FS and FB - and the rest are about 90% - so it would be nice not having to pay for the ones that don't make the cut. I am going to sell most of the coins (probably keep 5-10 of the best). I just worry about the friction from the rolls.....it would be so much cheaper to do a bulk submission over economy, but it may cost me a a lot of MS67s turning into MS66s. hmmmmmm
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I submit new mint issues looking for 70s by the thousands. Bulk submission does not mean any compromise in quality of handling. --jerry stephenson
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bulk graded coins can get a +
    I have gotten some
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>bulk graded coins can get a +
    I have gotten some >>

hummm , I thought they could not .........but you would know .

As for submitting coins in rolls in attempts at MS 70 grades - wow , that seems at the least "interesting" !
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I submit new mint issues looking for 70s by the thousands. Bulk submission does not mean any compromise in quality of handling. --jerry stephenson >>

I was thinking of doing a bulk submission someday as well, but after reading the threads about the process I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing so if it really means I'll have to send coins in tubes vs. flips.

If you are sending in modern proofs which will all most likely grade 69 or 70 how could putting them into tubes, then shipping the coins in tubes, then having PCGS remove them from the tubes not be considering a compromise vs. indivdually protecting each coin through the entire process??? Maybe there's a special trick to not bang up the coins in the tubes that I'm not getting? I would consider sending the coins in the original government packaging, but if I only want one coin in a given set bulk graded, I'm not sure I trust PCGS to return the other coins in the sets to me w/o compromising the quality of those coins not being graded (especially if they're just stuck in tubes vs. flips.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Coins for bulk submissions are required to be submitted in tubes and not individually separated. Bulk submissions are graded by a different process than the coins from a "line" submission.

Rolls should be packed tightly and insulated at the top with a piece of cotton or tissue paper. As long as the coins inside the rolls cannot move around or spin they should be fine.

The bulk graders are good at what they do. They won't damage your coins even if they are flawless proofs.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file