Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Read this if you have ANY intention of coming to Canton, Ohio for HOF weekend

Everyone,
I was just playing around on Expedia. I live here in Canton, just about 4 miles from The Hall of Fame. I checked on Hotel prices for Thursday/Friday/Saturday August 4th/5th/6th. There is one DUMP in downtown Canton for about $50.00 per night. There is a VERY nice option, a Super 8 up in Kent, Ohio. It has a rating of 4.4/5 , is only 17 miles from Canton, and all three nights are only $51.00 plus tax. From there, the price jumps up to anything from $100.00 to $170.00 PER NIGHT and for the most part, they are Akron hotels, NOT Canton, and they are not rated NEARLY as high as the Super 8 in Kent. There is ZERO hotel rooms anywhere between $170.00 and $240.00. So if you want to stay in Canton at a nice hotel, you will have to pay AT LEAST $240.00 PER NIGHT!!!!!
Conclusion, if you want to come and be a part of what will be an EPIC Hall of Fame weekend, I would STRONGLY recommend that you book at the Super 8 in Kent, NOW. I am just guessing here, but they probably have not realized that this is Hall of Fame weekend, and when they do realize it, they will jack their prices up with everyone else. I have NEVER stayed at the Super 8 in Kent, but I have been by it a few times. It looks nice and clean from the outside, and with the reviews it has on Expedia, I am guessing that it will do just fine for anyone that wants to stay there. If I can do anything for anyone on the thread to help, give advice, let you know about good restaurants in the area, etc... don't be afraid to ask.
Also, there is a pretty good card show/autograph session that goes on at the local Mall every year. You know what they say, " He who hesitates is lost " Just don't want to see any thread members get screwed on Hotel prices, when if they book NOW, They will save a LOT of $$$$$.
Rocke
WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I will be attending...but I live in Parma, so I will not need to stay over night. I would think Belden village/ North Canton area would be good to stay in.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Or you can stay at the Bellagio Poker King's each night for just a 6 pack....that's what I do every year when I come to Canton. Of course he expects you to pick up your own dirty underwear off the floor but its worth it......
  • Options

<< <i>I will be attending...but I live in Parma, so I will not need to stay over night. I would think Belden village/ North Canton area would be good to stay in. >>

I agree 100% with what you say, that the Belden Village/N. Canton area would be a good place to stay......EXCEPT that The Holiday Inn, The Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, Knights Inn, Ramada Inn, The Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, AND The Microtel are COMPLETELY SOLD OUT already. The Red Roof does have rooms on Thursday & Friday ONLY for the low, low price of $171.00 per night. Saturday is sold out. And Laquinta and The Hilton Garden Inn is $264.00 Per night. I'm just saying that for $51.00 per night, the Super 8 in Kent is the ONLY option that is a nice hotel, is close and won't bust your wallet.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Rocke,

Is there a list anywhere of the autograph guests at the mall?

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>Rocke,

Is there a list anywhere of the autograph guests at the mall?

Reese >>

Reese, not yet. I will post what I know, as soon as I find out, but between the signings at The Hall, The show that goes on at Belden Village mall, The show that is put on in one of the banquet/conference room at The Holiday Inn across the street from Belden Village and a couple of other single signer appearances that go on around town, there is no shortage of autograph opportunity's around. Just nothing yet.
    Rocke
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will be attending...but I live in Parma, so I will not need to stay over night. I would think Belden village/ North Canton area would be good to stay in. >>

I agree 100% with what you say, that the Belden Village/N. Canton area would be a good place to stay......EXCEPT that The Holiday Inn, The Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, Knights Inn, Ramada Inn, The Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, AND The Microtel are COMPLETELY SOLD OUT already. The Red Roof does have rooms on Thursday & Friday ONLY for the low, low price of $171.00 per night. Saturday is sold out. And Laquinta and The Hilton Garden Inn is $264.00 Per night. I'm just saying that for $51.00 per night, the Super 8 in Kent is the ONLY option that is a nice hotel, is close and won't bust your wallet.
    Rocke >>

Damn...for those prices I will rent out my kids rooms!
  • Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Rocke, I'm taking the family up to see Deion go in. Indians are out of town so thinking about taking in a Pirates game on Thursday night. Any hotel suggestions between Pittsburgh and Canton?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hi Rocke, I used to do the show at the Holiday Inn that Jane Bosley ran.....heard it has moved to the Sheraton. Will it be at the Sheraton for the HOF weekend or is another promoter doing the Holiday Inn?? Stopped doing Jane's show when my kids got to be teens and time was no longer there....her and husband Dave when he was still alive did/still do a quality show...... al.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Rocke, I used to do the show at the Holiday Inn that Jane Bosley ran.....heard it has moved to the Sheraton. Will it be at the Sheraton for the HOF weekend or is another promoter doing the Holiday Inn?? Stopped doing Jane's show when my kids got to be teens and time was no longer there....her and husband Dave when he was still alive did/still do a quality show...... al. >>

Al, Yes, Jane moved to the Sheraton ( Now it is The Courtyard by Marriott ) about 2-1/2 years ago. Jane has never done a Hall of Fame show as of yet. Her son is a local politician, and Jane is able to get VIP treatment and go to a number of parties/ festivities, some of which they don't sell tickets to the public to. I know she has considered doing a show, but honestly, I don't know how she would have the time. There was a show at The Holiday Inn last year, I think that there were THREE DIFFERENT promoters that ran the show together. One of them was www.envoycollectables.com I know one of the other promoters, but I don't believe he has his own website like envoy, I am not sure who the 3rd promoter was, but I do remember that it was a three way show. Your right, for being a smaller show, ie: not like CSA, or tristar, I think it is a VERY Quality show. I don't know what this area would be like without her. Plus, I am EXTREMELY lucky, in that I get to drive around, take out to eat, sometimes pick-up when they fly in, etc....her autograph guests. Let me tell you, that has been, as they say in the commercials, PRICELESS !!!!!!!
    Rocke
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I live right between Canton and Massillon (Perry Twp.) and I can confirm everything BellagioPokerKing/BigDaddyBowman said is pretty accurate. Kent is actually about 45 minutes north/east of Canton though. Still a nice easy and inexpensive alternative. Kent is a nice area with lots of other things to do.

Another good alternative could be the New Philadelphia area, which is about 30 minutes south of Canton. Kind of a small town rural feel to it, but it has plenty going on. Nice easy access to Canton, straight up I-77.

Also, Alliance is about 25 minutes east of Canton, and a very easy drive to the Hall, using Route 62. State Street in Alliance is the main drag, lots of places to eat and shop. It's a college town (Mount Union).

I wouldn't bother looking for a hotel in Massillon.

No matter what, the North Canton/Belden Village/Jackson Township area is where the party is at. Lots of great things go on there every day during HOF week. The Jackson Food Fest/Balloon Lift Off is a great time for the family. That's just north of the HOF, right where the HOF Bridge is.

===========================================================

Jane Bosley does put on a nice monthly show at the Marriot. I like to go there every so often. Keep an eye on her website for future dates and signers.

I'm not a big fan of the mall show though. It is what it is. I don't really like the quality of the stuff there. Just my opinion.

===========================================================

If you're looking for some nice card shops in the area, try Elite Sportscards in Massillon, and Cardboard Dreams in Akron (Springfield Township). Those are my two favorites. Both guys are nice to hold a conversation with, and they carry a nice array of unopened modern and singles. Elite in Massillon is about twice the size of Cardboard Dreams.
  • Options
    The Fairlawn/Copley exit is also a potential place to stayaswell....North of Canton Akron area..heading towards Cleveland.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Fairlawn/Copley exit is also a potential place to stayaswell....North of Canton Akron area..heading towards Cleveland. >>

Very true, lots of nice hotels and places to eat. Centrally located between Canton and Cleveland, and you can go throw stuff at Lebron's house. image
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I went on Orbitz and found several motels under $90 in the Akron area. Problem with booking comes down to this: do you reserve for Sunday night expecting that there will be a game on Sunday? If there is a NFL lock out and no game, there is no reason to hang around Sunday.....FYI, I checked the reviews on the motel Rocke recommended in Kent---SEVERAL REVIEWS MENTIONED BEDBUGS!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Rocke....will have to get down there for one of Jane's shows soon. When I did her show you would walk in the door, make a left and I used to be right in front if you then walked in straight ahead. Usually had two tables and was next to a guy who always had a sh--load of autographed items.....had my son and/or daughter with me for many of the shows. Bet I used to talk with you at the shows.....Does Janes still bring Bennie to the shows?? I stopped doing the shows a bit after Dave passed away. He was a great guy also. al.
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭

<< <i>I live right between Canton and Massillon (Perry Twp.) and I can confirm everything BellagioPokerKing/BigDaddyBowman said is pretty accurate. Kent is actually about 45 minutes north/east of Canton though. Still a nice easy and inexpensive alternative. Kent is a nice area with lots of other things to do.. >>

If anyone stays in Kent, you can take Route 43 to Canton. I took it last summer going to the Canton downtown area. Just don't miss the two turns in
    Hartville.

Someone familiar with Canton will have to provide directions from 43 to the HOF. Although I'm from Kent, I currently live in Oklahoma, which makes it a
    big difficult to verify the route.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Rocke....will have to get down there for one of Jane's shows soon. When I did her show you would walk in the door, make a left and I used to be right in front if you then walked in straight ahead. Usually had two tables and was next to a guy who always had a sh--load of autographed items.....had my son and/or daughter with me for many of the shows. Bet I used to talk with you at the shows.....Does Janes still bring Bennie to the shows?? I stopped doing the shows a bit after Dave passed away. He was a great guy also. al. >>

Al, Think I remember you. The guy that always had a sh--load of autographs, I'm positive that you are talking about John Gebura. That's the guy that I was referring to when I answered your question a few posts earlier, about the Holiday Inn show during HOF weekend. John was one of the promoters of the show that doesn't have his own website. Older guy, mid 60's or so, beard, glasses. I'm guessing that's the guy you were set up next to.
    As far as Bennie, Is that her little dog's name? I haven't seen him in a while.....I'll have to ask her if he's OK....I didn't even know what his name was !!!!
    Rocke
  • Options
    Yeah Bennie was the dog's name.....and I believe the auto guy was John like you said....you described him exactly.....it's been probably three years if not more since I set up down there. Always enjoyed her auto guests who for the most part were great. Next time you see Jane mention me, Al Navolanic...she'll probably recognize the name.....and tell her the kids are doing great.....my son is now 17 and daughter 14. al.
  • Options
    Was just up at the Canton/Akron Airport to pick-up Donnie Shell for a local cardshow tomorrow. While there, I saw advertisements for the Professional Golf Tour that will be played at Firestone Country Club the SAME week / weekend as Hall of Fame week / weekend. Hotels WILL be at a PREMIUM.