Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there that much difference between these 2 1738 Pillar $ ?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't think so....

Your thoughts.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    I was going to say rim damage but they both have equal amount , the very last picture perhaps has less eye appeal due to the banded effect running through the crest to the rim. Nice coins though.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not from the same dies, if that is the question.
    I would be happy owning either one.
    What's your point?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    id like either one but the bottom one might have a hair more detail. but that could also be from a better strike.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to say rim damage but they both have equal amount , the very last picture perhaps has less eye appeal due to the banded effect running through the crest to the rim. Nice coins though. >>

I think that some, if not all, of that "rim damage" comes from the edge design.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Looks like those pillars would have been hard to sleep on in 1738! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    The top one is from a EDS or better struck IMO
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the pictures much. It's hard to form an opinion from them. Maybe some different pics with different lighting/background, etc. would help. But I'd rather see the coins in hand to give any real feedback (no pun intended!).

But like CaptHenway said, what's your point? Why the question?
  • Options

<< <i>Why the question? >>

I think it's because his thread on the same topic in the world coins forum isn't getting enough attention there... image
  • Options
    One is P AU 50 and one is P AU 58

• Options

<< <i>One is P AU 50 and one is P AU 58 >>

And this is a surprise because... image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One is P AU 50 and one is P AU 58 >>

And this is a surprise because... image >>

because they don't seem that far apart in wear....

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second has more detail than the first on the water and the "VLTR" scroll, but the first has better detail on the continents. For the coat of arms side, I'll take the first one. Difference in the luster, which is not as easy to ascertain from the pictures, could account for the difference in grades. Send them both to me and I'll let you know which one I like better in hand by returning the other one. image
  • Options

<< <i>because they don't seem that far apart in wear.... >>

Which is probably why they both got an AU grade, I'd guess.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The first is the 50 and second is the 58?

I thought the second one was nicer and more luster on the obv (hard to judge from pics) but it has something like a chunk out of the lower area on the right hemisphere and those striations on the reverse. In net I think they're tied.

Ed
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so either.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how different those 2 dies are.

The chunk out of the lower right hemisphere on the lower one (I think it's die related? not coin damage) then notice how on the top coin the hemispheres are higher above the base. The left hemisphere on the top coin is far from the pillar but on the lower one it touches the pillar. The continents are very different as well.

Neat to see how different the dies were back when everything was done by hand.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>The first is the 50 and second is the 58?

I thought the second one was nicer and more luster on the obv (hard to judge from pics) but it has something like a chunk out of the lower area on the right hemisphere and those striations on the reverse. In net I think they're tied. >>

The first and last picture is a P 58. The middle 2 pictures is a P 50.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the pillar side, the "8" and the right "o" seem to stand out on the lower photo.
  • Options
    I still own both these coins......but I still don't see the difference.

One of these days I hope to meet an expert in grading pillar dollars and teach me......

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting a second opportunity to look at these coins, I see -

- a distinct difference in the wear on the "PLUS"; on the countries of the world; and on the waves of the ocean on the obverses

- a noticeable difference in the wear on the castle in the upper left and lower right quadrants of the shield on the reverses.

This could be strike weakness on the top coin, I don't know. But the TPG graders must have thought it was wear and awarded different grades accordingly.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel too bad, pillars can be really tough to grade. I have a hard time with them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file