Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

bronze death medal from World War I --- SOLD

This large heavy bronze medal is 121 mm (or 4 3/4 inches) across, and weighs over 10 troy ounces (over 11 avoirdupois ounces). It was awarded by Britain to the families of some of those killed in action in World War I. Talbott was an American who enlisted in the Canadian Infantry, and was killed 2 September 1918 in France, where he is buried. The designer of the plaque was Edward Carter Preston, and the back is plain. $67 postpaid in U.S. ---- SOLD

Comments

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal, it is also knows as the Dead Mans Penny. Each is unique, as the name is struck with the medal. I had owned for years in an Oak frame, sold it last year.image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice medal, it is also knows as the Dead Mans Penny. Each is unique, as the name is struck with the medal. I had owned for years in an Oak frame, sold it last year.image >>

Thanks for the reference. The implication being, I suppose, that it was small consolation for a human life. Maybe it's even sadder that his descendants sold it off instead of keeping it in the family as a remembrance.
  • Options
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM'ed
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21