Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The ***Official*** Everything (but Sales) Dan Carr Mega-Thread

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
People complained about seeing "those 5oz puck threads," and I thought: "There's only really 1 active one."

They also complained about the "Carr Fantasy Coin Threads."

My thought...

Make 1!

Feel free to rant, moan and groan, stay within the rules, but don't sell since that's for the BST...
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    I'll start with a whine:

I didn't get one off the last run to finish the set of 5.

WAH!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WAHHH! WAHHH!!! Same here.......

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    maybe we can make a fantasy fantasy coin?!!?!!!
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    What doe Daniel Carr have in store for this year?
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe we can make a fantasy fantasy coin?!!?!!! >>

Ok, then, what if during the last year of operations at the New Orleans Mint someone
    said "hey, let's make silver dollars one last time".

So how about a 1909-O Morgan dollar with a mico-o mint mark exactly like the famous
    1896-o, 1900-o, and 1902-o micro-o vintage counterfeits (which were modeled after the
    genuine 1899-o micro-o), but over-struck on genuine Morgan dollars ?

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ok, then, what if during the last year of operations at the New Orleans Mint someone

So how about a 1909-O Morgan dollar with a mico-o mint mark exactly like the famous
    1896-o, 1900-o, and 1902-o micro-o vintage counterfeits, but over-struck on genuine Morgan dollars ? >>

• Options
    I'm still up for old gold.
  • Options

<< <i>What does Daniel Carr have in store for this year? >>

Just finished minting some 2011 Ameros, finally. I'll have to replace two or three dies before I make more.
    Maybe more Ameros around June. I'm thinking I will have a major change of the reverse design for those.

New Hard Times tokens, such as:
    50th Anniversary of Eisenhower's 1961 "Military Industrial Complex" speech.
    The "Golden Parachure" (made out of gold, of course).
    Something with a China theme, like a Panda pissing on the world or ?

1861-2011 sesquicentennial of the last Clark Gruber coins (based on the $20 Liberty design).
    Also perhaps a "Confederate States" 1861 $20 Double Eagle fantasy.

2011 1/10 oz indian-head gold fractional.

Others yet to be determined.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still up for old gold. >>

For fantasy coins, there is a lot that can be done here.
    While not really old, I'd like to do a high-grade ms "1908" $20 Liberty.
    And maybe different denominations as a "1934" continuation.
    Or a 1807-1812 Capped Bust (left) $10 Eagle.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Dan, if you have plans for another fantasy piece struck over a real coin, say a Morgan dollar.......have you considered letting collectors provide you with the coin? It could pan out to be a logistical challenge for you to coordinate, but I think it would be really cool to have the opportunity for me to provide the coin and get the same one back. Sort of like it was struck specially for me etc and I felt involved in the process. image
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    1892-CC or 1893-CC Barber anything... preferably Halves
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Clark Gruber idea, especially if made in gold. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like the Clark Gruber idea, especially if made in gold. image

• Options

<< <i>I really like the Clark Gruber idea, especially if made in gold. image

image >>

Yes, it would be something like that, but one troy oz 999 gold.
    The actual design might be exactly like a type-1 US $20 Liberty, but with the Clark Gruber wording
    and other notations such as "Carr Emslie & Co" in small print. Not sure yet.
    I'm thinking I could potentially use the same obverse die paired with a "CSA" reverse.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan, if you have plans for another fantasy piece struck over a real coin, say a Morgan dollar.......have you considered letting collectors provide you with the coin? It could pan out to be a logistical challenge for you to coordinate, but I think it would be really cool to have the opportunity for me to provide the coin and get the same one back. Sort of like it was struck specially for me etc and I felt involved in the process. image >>

That is technically possible. I'll have to think about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dan, if you have plans for another fantasy piece struck over a real coin, say a Morgan dollar.......have you considered letting collectors provide you with the coin? It could pan out to be a logistical challenge for you to coordinate, but I think it would be really cool to have the opportunity for me to provide the coin and get the same one back. Sort of like it was struck specially for me etc and I felt involved in the process. image >>

That is technically possible. I'll have to think about it. >>

I've got a roll's worth of aluminum Texas scratch-off lottery coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

That is technically possible. I'll have to think about it. >>

I was thinking you might need it to be that way for the old gold. Otherwise that's a lot of up front outlay...
  • Options
    How about a Panda sitting down hugging and eating the world?

You could make a Chinese Panda Silver Copy coin and put in Brushed Chinese Calligraphy: ØÍ±Ò (yan4bi4) (counterfeit coin)

The fantasy part? The leaves are marijuana leaves.

• Options

<< <i>How about a Panda sitting down hugging and eating the world?

You could make a Chinese Panda Silver Copy coin and put in Brushed Chinese Calligraphy: ØÍ±Ò (yan4bi4) (counterfeit coin)

The fantasy part? The leaves are marijuana leaves.

image >>

I had in mind a panda lifting its leg (like a dog) on the world, as a reference to China's pervasive
    copyright and patent infringement, "sweatshop" labor policies, pollution, etc.. I like your idea of
    putting "counterfeit coin" in Chinese characters on it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just a suggestion here. Maybe a silver dollar with a Charlotte mint mark. Maybe a Morgan with an after Civil War date. Charlotte only minted gold coins.

Ron

Edited to add: Duh, a Morgan would have to have an after the war date. 5 AM brain lock.
    And a Morgan would be more affordable than a Seated Dollar.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

No problems with this one. Everybody knows that original Capped Bust Dollars had six-pointed stars!

Is that die polish by stars 10-11?

TD

P.S.: Why the Mona Lisa smile?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

No problems with this one. Everybody knows that original Capped Bust Dollars had six-pointed stars!

Is that die polish by stars 10-11?

TD

P.S.: Why the Mona Lisa smile? >>

Beats the hell out of, say, a Susan B. Anthony, or Eunice Shriver obverse! image

I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    How about a Confederate States of America, South Carolina coining it's own money with the caption "The South Will Rise Again". It's better then the Amero idea our government came up with image

I do like your China, Panda pissing on the world idea.
  • Options

<< <i>Everybody knows that original Capped Bust Dollars had six-pointed stars! >>

And no earring.

<< <i>Is that die polish by stars 10-11? >>

Those are pretty severe die gouges. The die failed to heat-treat properly. As I started using it, the die face started to "mushroom" and expand. Soon the die would no longer fit in the collar. So I kept rotating the die up against a grinding wheel to reduce the diameter (which resulted in narrower rims). One time I slipped.

<< <i>P.S.: Why the Mona Lisa smile? >>

Sometimes things are simply the way they are because that's the way they turned out.
  • Options
    more ideas...

who's that pencil artist who runs coppercoins.com?

you could team with him and make medals or some such commemorative tokens using his art work.

• Options

<< <i>more ideas...

who's that pencil artist who runs coppercoins.com?

you could team with him and make medals or some such commemorative tokens using his art work. >>

This guy?:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com/
  • Options
    yeah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Everybody knows that original Capped Bust Dollars had six-pointed stars! >>

And no earring.

<< <i>Is that die polish by stars 10-11? >>

Those are pretty severe die gouges. The die failed to heat-treat properly. As I started using it, the die face started to "mushroom" and expand. Soon the die would no longer fit in the collar. So I kept rotating the die up against a grinding wheel to reduce the diameter (which resulted in narrower rims). One time I slipped.
    >>

I thought that was a bulge in the lower left obverse, but wasn't sure.
    As to the earring, I was reminded of the center hubbing circles found on various mid-19th century dies.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1896-o, 1900-o, and 1902-o micro-o vintage counterfeits (which were modeled after the
    genuine 1899-o micro-o), but over-struck on genuine Morgan dollars ? >>

What? You like getting beat up by the forums? image

My order for those 2011 Amero coins has been placed. (Regardless of the die gouges!)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also perhaps a "Confederate States" 1861 $20 Double Eagle fantasy. >>

Ooooh, I would like to see that!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm curious to know what the fascination is with these coins that are essentially copies with subtle changes?? most members bemoan copies of coins from the various Private Mints which have done such things faithfully and included "copy" somewhere on the coin. i don't want to seem as though i'm criticizing DCarr, but the designs most members are fascinated with aren't original, they are copies. it would be a different story if we were seeing original designs such as those on the 2000 era Dollar patterns, but i'm confused about these.
  • Options

<< <i>i'm curious to know what the fascination is with these coins that are essentially copies with subtle changes?? most members bemoan copies of coins from the various Private Mints which have done such things faithfully and included "copy" somewhere on the coin. i don't want to seem as though i'm criticizing DCarr, but the designs most members are fascinated with aren't original, they are copies. it would be a different story if we were seeing original designs such as those on the 2000 era Dollar patterns, but i'm confused about these. >>

The fact it doesnt say "copy" plays a huge part i suspect.
  • Options
    keets:

The fascination is primarily holding in your hand a "what if."

Daniel Carr has captured the essence of the original design better than anyone I have ever seen.
  • Options
    What I think would be great is a total redesign of our coinage system.
    Maybe a decimal type system, beginning with ten cents, then 50, then one dollar, then five and ten. And the diameters and alloys should reflect the value, also Braille would be a plus.
    That would be original and groundbreaking.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Question: are the Hawaiian Islands part of the Union of North America?
    They do not seem to have made the map.
  • Options

<< <i> Question: are the Hawaiian Islands part of the Union of North America? They do not seem to have made the map. >>

I see the islands, but they are very faint.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Question: are the Hawaiian Islands part of the Union of North America? They do not seem to have made the map. >>

I see the islands, but they are very faint. >>

Given that view, they'd be just a speck. Carr takes his map images straight from digitized topography, so it's gonna be true to form.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

How about something for the Civil War sesquicentennial? Maybe do some sort of a cool repro of Scotts Confederate Half Dollar Restrike. You know plane the reverse design off a 1861-o seated half like J.W. scott did and then strike the reverse with a similiar design. I would buy one!Link
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody else pocket piece a Carr?

I've done a few days so far with my copper 2010 Uncle Scam/Puppet Master token. I think a work week pretty much. Other coins, wallet/clip, full zippo, cigar cutter, the token is what I carried. Got some good rim dings, and a noticeable rub and brown off the fields. Not worth a photo yet as my setup wouldn't show it really, but you can tell by eye it's going for rides.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan,

How about something for the Civil War sesquicentennial? Maybe do some sort of a cool repro of Scotts Confederate Half Dollar Restrike. You know plane the reverse design off a 1861-o seated half like J.W. scott did and then strike the reverse with a similiar design. I would buy one!Link >>

Those are really neat. But since it has been done well already, I think I'd rather take a different approach and do a Confederate Double Eagle. Re-facing common Peace dollars is one thing, but I'd rather not alter original 1861-O half dollars.

• Options

<< <i>Anybody else pocket piece a Carr? ... >>

I often carry several around, but usually end up parting with them before they get below AU-55 or so.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anybody else pocket piece a Carr? ... >>

I often carry several around, but usually end up parting with them before they get below AU-55 or so. >>

Ever spend one?
    (Nudge, nudge! Wink, wink!)

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I am sure he spends those Ameros all the time.
  • Options
    I've left a few as tips (in addition to legal tender).
    Usually people at the local coin club meetings scarf them up at a discount.
  • Options
    ........A 1964-D ,struck over a real Franklin , with a Reverse proof 1964 Franklin Half dollar variety , with a very small turkey replacing the eagle on the reverse of both.

The collector base for Franklins is huge , and Ben himself wanted the turkey as our National bird.

A mintage of 490 pieces , with 10 additional pieces struck in 90% gold .
  • Options
    the D.Carr Peace Dollar controversy will seemingly never end ........... lets get them all to the top until everyone has has their fill and are plumb sick of the issue
  • Options
    I propose a dcarr $1 trillion dollar hard times token

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My chocolate brown copper Uncle Scam token pocket piece is long gone. Have absolutely no idea what happened to it. The wife was out of town for 2 weeks and I lost it during an absolutely wonderful bender of an evening. Could have gave it to someone for all I know or someone took it as I liked to show it around. All I know is it's gone and someone has it or will find it. Either way it's all good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file